Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=hu&u=http://prohardver.hu/hir/kepen_pozol_amd_kaveri_apu_prototipus.html
Quote:
Basically, it's no secret that companies are well ahead of the forthcoming send hardware to software developers, but the desktop version of the Kaveri APU is only projected to arrive in November , and three-quarter years before prototypes are not removed from the norm. Some of the hardware is far from definitive, it may still contain errors, which make it more difficult for software development.
Johan Andersson (Rendering architect, DICE Frostbite 2 engine) seems to have got one early prototype of kaveri

https://twitter.com/repi/status/306835055114866688

rumoured to have GDDR5 memory. nice
biggrin.gif


its not going to be long before the low end discrete graphics market is eaten up by these APUs. Once you have bandwidth these APUs will make the entry level chips upto USD 100 irrelevant. the discrete graphics market is going to shrink.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=hu&u=http://prohardver.hu/hir/kepen_pozol_amd_kaveri_apu_prototipus.html
Johan Andersson (Rendering architect, DICE Frostbite 2 engine) seems to have got one early prototype of kaveri

https://twitter.com/repi/status/306835055114866688

rumoured to have GDDR5 memory. nice
biggrin.gif


its not going to be long before the low end discrete graphics market is eaten up by these APUs. Once you have bandwidth these APUs will make the entry level chips upto USD 100 irrelevant. the discrete graphics market is going to shrink.
Am I the only person who see the name Johan Anderson and think this guy? Gah got to stop watching Yugioh GX sub
biggrin.gif


tongue.gif
( his dub name is Jesse but in the original his name is Johan Anderson) lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoxile View Post

Did you look through the comments on the twitter post?
Why would a video game developer need a "regular PC" sample? He probably has two or three more powerful machines in his office alone capable of testing the work he compiles.

That is, unless he's looking for a machine with specific specifications...say, I don't know, that of a mass produced console...based on an x86 PC architecture by Advanced Micro Devices.
 

·
Null
Joined
·
6,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven.7 View Post

Why would a video game developer need a "regular PC" sample? He probably has two or three more powerful machines in his office alone capable of testing the work he compiles.

That is, unless he's looking for a machine with specific specifications...say, I don't know, that of a mass produced console...based on an x86 PC architecture by Advanced Micro Devices.
To test his work on a less powerful machine? In particular one that is seemingly setting the stage for AMD's focus on HSA. I doubt a large dev like DICE only tests their work on a few high-end machine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoxile View Post

To test his work on a less powerful machine? In particular one that is seemingly setting the stage for AMD's focus on HSA. I doubt a large dev like DICE only tests their work on a few high-end machine.
Then why not just send them the chip instead of a full-sized, non-ATX standard board with soldered memory? Kaveri will be FM2 based after all.
 

·
Null
Joined
·
6,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven.7 View Post

Then why not just send them the chip instead of a full-sized, non-ATX standard board with soldered memory? Kaveri will be FM2 based after all.
Why not? Dev boards are usually complete systems, and they revealed a bobcat dev board with gizmosphere that seems to use a non-standard form factor and had soldered memory. And correct me if I'm wrong but Intel's Atom dev boards are similarly made. And is Kaveri even supported on current commercial FM2 motherboards before any sort of BIOS update?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
That really looks like a dev kit, seems like showing it on twitter would be some kind of breach of contract, unless Sony's allowing him to "leak" that DICE is developing for it. That would make sense, considering the efforts Sony's going to to get developers on board.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i quote Johan Andersson " uhm no, this is a PC ". also in the title he says "next generation APU dev system"

its clearly a Kaveri prototype system. AMD seeding Kaveri to developers like DICE is not surprising. Kaveri is the first APU with true shared memory and unified address space. AMD wants developers to exploit the hardware to its maximum potential. if AMD can provide Kaveri with memory bandwidth it will bring a new level of gaming performance to the masses.
 

·
under my nose
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Can someone tell me if Kaveri APU is the Sony Playstation 4 APU? Or AMD is going to release separate APU (excluding Richland) which are Kaveri and PS4's APU?
 

·
Testing...
Joined
·
3,254 Posts
It's a development kit to aid people in adopting HSA. I doubt its PS4 specific.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moustache View Post

Can someone tell me if Kaveri APU is the Sony Playstation 4 APU? Or AMD is going to release separate APU (excluding Richland) which are Kaveri and PS4's APU?
The PS4 is using a Jaguar-based APU, which is the same cores that will make up their ultra-low powered stuff that will go in tablets and ultrabooks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoxile View Post

To test his work on a less powerful machine? In particular one that is seemingly setting the stage for AMD's focus on HSA. I doubt a large dev like DICE only tests their work on a few high-end machine.
No, but apparently Crytek does that and their games hog the universe
 
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Top