Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 337 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This text-based calculator was an attempt by me to decrease my workload from "overwhelming and frustrating" to just "large and mildly irritating".
wink.gif
Being asked twenty times a day how much wattage someone's computer needed--not what I signed on for as PSU Editor. So I created a text based calculator that I could direct people to so they could use my logic and numbers on their own, or for others on this forum to use, without having to ask me personally. It succeeded... Mostly.
wink.gif

However, things change. And so I'm proud to present to you,

PSU Calc

psu_calc_v0_96_by_phaedrus2401-d4ch39k.png

The actual application version of this calculator that I am developing in conjunction with FiX (who is doing all the hard work
wink.gif
). It is still in beta, but is nearing completion. Please go there for your PSU wattage calculation needs and PSU recommendations. It uses an improved version of the math found in the original Quick'n'Dirty text-based calculator and is much more accurate.

• Rep+
Reactions: reflex99

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Is this because your thread got closed?

This is awesome btw. I'm glad to know I might be able to upgrade, just barely. (750W, 1 580, i7 2600k)

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ____;13918425
Is this because your thread got closed?

This is awesome btw. I'm glad to know I might be able to upgrade, just barely. (750W, 1 580, i7 2600k)
My thread got closed because it got out of hand. I could unlock it, but I have no intention of doing so, due to the level of immaturity displayed by several members.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Thank you Phaedrus. This is a much appreciated and needed contribution to OCN.

I suggest a link from this sticky to the recommended PSU sticky and a link in that sticky to this one. And maybe a quick line about how PSU requirements are inflated with a link to proof. For an example Nvidia says a system with their GTX590 requires a 700w PSU as a minimum.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Bookmarked. Awesome info, thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianJ;13918632
Awesome idea. Can see this needing a sticky.

Edit: will this also cover 100% folding or just normal usage?
Normal usage. For folding I'd multiply final result by 1.5. I'll add that to the guide.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129;13918669
Normal usage. For folding I'd multiply final result by 1.5. I'll add that to the guide.
Why do folders need a 1.5 multiplication? For efficiency?

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!0HaZard;13918750
Why do folders need a 1.5 multiplication? For efficiency?
Most systems are idle the vast majority of the time. The PSU may be at 10% load sometimes, 70% load other times, other times 50% or 25% or 40% or 90%. it's never in a continuous load state for very long. An hour or two at 80% load followed by hours at <50% load is not especially hard on the PSU.

Whereas a 24/7 dedicated folding system will have a constant, continuous load. 24/7 at 80% load will wear heavily on the PSU and may cause an early failure. In comparison, 24/7 at 50% load is far safer. And sometimes more efficient.

·
Premium Member
21,170 Posts
You should make a GUI interface in Visual Basic and see if you can track the IP put this all into a nice program.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx;13918817
You should make a GUI interface in Visual Basic and see if you can track the IP put this all into a nice program.
Oh I see what you did there even without watching that Youtube clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRJY-FwUMdc[/ame[/URL]]

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcherintherye;13918858
What's meant exactly by moderate overclocking of GPUs? I have my 480 voltage overclocked to 1213mV over the stock 1100mV, does this count as moderate or high?
I'd call moderate the max you can go without increasing voltage.

Power usage of a chip increases linearly with clock speed, exponentially with voltage.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
What are your thoughts on the 12V rail's amperage rating when choosing a PSU? My GTX 285OC's box specifies it needs a 575W PSU with 42A on the 12V Rail. My BFG 550W seems to power it fine in everyday usage and gaming, but if I dare try Furmark, I get a BSOD. No BSOD when I use a HX620.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
This is pure win!!! Great thread Phaedrus! It should be a sticky!

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
In the OP you mentioned needing 850W for a single HD6990/HD5970? Or did you mean x2 HD6990/HD5970?

Just wondering, I was a bit confused, I had an HD5970 which was being used with a Corsait TX650 and it was completely fine (And current x2 HD6970's on a 750W completely fine too.
tongue.gif
).

Thanks for the thread, bookmarked, it will definitely help me in future upgrades.

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcuestag;13919003
In the OP you mentioned needing 850W for a single HD6990/HD5970? Or did you mean x2 HD6990/HD5970?

Just wondering, I was a bit confused, I had an HD5970 which was being used with a Corsait TX650 and it was completely fine (And current x2 HD6970's on a 750W completely fine too.
tongue.gif
).

Thanks for the thread, bookmarked, it will definitely help me in future upgrades.
I count dual gpu cards as a single card. A single HD6990 would be fine on a 550W. Two (quadfire) would need an 850W.

1 - 20 of 337 Posts