Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
A title was here
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854042

The above case will be delivered tomorrow.

I wanted to know what type of fan setup I should go with as the case comes with 2 and I'd want 2-3 more. I don't know what rpm they should be and if I shouldn't mix them with the fans that come with it.

I'd also like some fan recommendations and matching the same color scheme isn't that important.

This is what I was thinking of but I thought that might be too much intake. The two arrows going through black rectangles near the upper left corner represent fans on the NH D15.

Should I also take the slot covers off to help with the heat between the GPU and PSU ?

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
2 x 140mm up front and one rear 140mm will be perfect airflow for that case. As per doyll's recommendations, removing the PCI slot covers should also help when using a non-reference GPU.

I was running a D15 in this case before I went ITX. The only improvement you could probably do would be to completely block off the top vents altogether.

Since it's relevant:

·
A title was here
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pez View Post

2 x 140mm up front and one rear 140mm will be perfect airflow for that case. As per doyll's recommendations, removing the PCI slot covers should also help when using a non-reference GPU.

I was running a D15 in this case before I went ITX. The only improvement you could probably do would be to completely block off the top vents altogether.

Since it's relevant:

I assume Doyll's a Phantek rep ?

I'm actually surprised, figured that would be too much air in the back

Is that the NH-D15S or normal version ?

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
That was the normal D15 -- and theoretically, you probably don't need the rear considering the size and airflow of the D15 itself. They're far enough apart that it's not creating any unnecessary turbulence, but it'd be worth testing it out in both configs, I'd say.

• Rep+
Reactions: Ascii Aficionado

·
A title was here
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then I guess I only have three more questions.

What fans should I get ?

Will it matter if I mix different fans ?

Should I just get another of what's already in there ?

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
The ones that are included (looks like it comes with 2 on the TG version) are really good fans. Just popping another one of those in would be a perfect and cost efficient choice. Great fans that push good air relevant to the noise they put out. I loved the Phanteks fans so much they're the fans I use in my ITX build.

·
A title was here
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: Ascii Aficionado

·
A title was here
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds great, I'll order that one.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
27,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascii Aficionado View Post

I assume Doyll's a Phantek rep ?

I'm actually surprised, figured that would be too much air in the back
Is that the NH-D15S or normal version ?
What pez has said is all good advise.
thumb.gif

Just to be very clear:
I AM NOT AND NEVER HAVE BEEN EMPLOYED OR EVEN AFFILATED WITH PHANTEKS COMPANY
Or any other company associated with computers.

I put it in large bold text because it needs to be made very clear I am not employed by any company affiliated with computers.
If I was a Phanteks rep, Overclock.net would require me to pay them to post on forum and I would have a factory rep logo under my user name.

I spend more time helping people with cooling and airflow than with Phanteks products. Does than mean you think I'm a rep for 'airflow' ??
tongue.gif

I test and review products, mostly coolers, cases and fans.. If a product is not good I say so .. and that has cost me lots of sample sources. But companies like Phanteks want the people who test and review their products to be honest and point out problem products. Example of poor product was / is Phantkes PH-F200SP fan that used to be supplied in some cases. Phanteks quickly change to PH-F140SP and now these new fans which may be PH-F140MP_BK (3Pin for case installation), but I'm not sure because Phanteks said that once then said no model number. I managed to get their specifications a couple months ago, and while the airflow and pressure specs do not look great, independent testing has shown these new fans to move more air with resistance like grills and filters than other fans with higher flow specs. While I have not done any airflow and pressure testing per se, I have done A/B comparison of these new case fans, PH-F140MP and PH-F140SP. From dle up to their 1200rpm limit they perform the same as PH-F140MP .. which is bit better than PH-F140SP case fans do. I have not done any A/B variable voltage control testing to see if PH-F140MP runs same RPM as these new case fans, but I can say they run at similar RPM.

As for venting in back of case, most of us remove unused PCIe slot covers to give back even more exhaust airflow area. Removing unused PCie slot covers and leaving the motherboard back I/O shield out give more back venting .. enough so 2x 140 mm intake fans can flow all their air from front to back of case. If you use these new case fans and/or PH-F140MP fans you will not even need a rear exhaust fan.

You might want to check out the Phanteks case thread. Lots of good people there with lots of nice builds.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1418637/official-case-phanteks-case-club-for-lovers-owners/0_20

• Rep+
Reactions: bajer29

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Quote:

Sounds great, I'll order that one.

Thanks for the help.
Nice! Let us know how it goes! And of course, post in the Phanteks club thread, too
biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

What pez has said is all good advise.
thumb.gif

Just to be very clear:
I AM NOT AND NEVER HAVE BEEN EMPLOYED OR EVEN AFFILATED WITH PHANTEKS COMPANY
Or any other company associated with computers.

I put it in large bold text because it needs to be made very clear I am not employed by any company affiliated with computers.
If I was a Phanteks rep, Overclock.net would require me to pay them to post on forum and I would have a factory rep logo under my user name.

I spend more time helping people with cooling and airflow than with Phanteks products. Does than mean you think I'm a rep for 'airflow' ??
tongue.gif

I test and review products, mostly coolers, cases and fans.. If a product is not good I say so .. and that has cost me lots of sample sources. But companies like Phanteks want the people who test and review their products to be honest and point out problem products. Example of poor product was / is Phantkes PH-F200SP fan that used to be supplied in some cases. Phanteks quickly change to PH-F140SP and now these new fans which may be PH-F140MP_BK (3Pin for case installation), but I'm not sure because Phanteks said that once then said no model number. I managed to get their specifications a couple months ago, and while the airflow and pressure specs do not look great, independent testing has shown these new fans to move more air with resistance like grills and filters than other fans with higher flow specs. While I have not done any airflow and pressure testing per se, I have done A/B comparison of these new case fans, PH-F140MP and PH-F140SP. From dle up to their 1200rpm limit they perform the same as PH-F140MP .. which is bit better than PH-F140SP case fans do. I have not done any A/B variable voltage control testing to see if PH-F140MP runs same RPM as these new case fans, but I can say they run at similar RPM.

As for venting in back of case, most of us remove unused PCIe slot covers to give back even more exhaust airflow area. Removing unused PCie slot covers and leaving the motherboard back I/O shield out give more back venting .. enough so 2x 140 mm intake fans can flow all their air from front to back of case. If you use these new case fans and/or PH-F140MP fans you will not even need a rear exhaust fan.

You might want to check out the Phanteks case thread. Lots of good people there with lots of nice builds.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1418637/official-case-phanteks-case-club-for-lovers-owners/0_20
Yeah, sorry if I made it seem that way
biggrin.gif
. I just know you know your way around quite a few Phanteks cases, and the advice on the Phanteks fans is the greatest I've gotten in some time. Always appreciate your words of wisdom
thumb.gif

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:

Since it's relevant:

"The only improvement you could probably do would be to completely block off the top vents altogether."
I dont see the point , why would u block all the top vents ?!
Personally i just blocked the first 12-13cm on top . So the front airflow cant escape on the top , the air is directed to the cpu cooler .

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaHUN View Post

"The only improvement you could probably do would be to completely block off the top vents altogether."
Personally i just blocked the first 12-13cm on top . So the front airflow cant escape on the top , the air is directed to the cpu cooler .
Blocking off areas where no air is coming in with that big of a surface area will improve the overall flow of air going from the front of the case to the components. Otherwise, air has potential to go out of the top. Secondly, you reduce dust intake of the case if you cover the top holes.

·
Premium Member
27,411 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, sorry if I made it seem that way
biggrin.gif
. I just know you know your way around quite a few Phanteks cases, and the advice on the Phanteks fans is the greatest I've gotten in some time. Always appreciate your words of wisdom
thumb.gif
I don't think you made it seem that way. But I do see how people could think I am. I do know a lot about their products and try to help others when they ask about them. I just wanted to make it very clear my recommendations are based on testing and using products to determine which are best at what they do. I have been offered jobs and refused. I'll help them develop better products (like square TY-14x series fans), but I cannot work for them because I want to be as unbiased as possible.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaHUN View Post

What pez said.
thumb.gif

By blocking the top vents we force the cool front intake airflow to move back around the CPU cooler.
Blocking top vents (at least those in front of CPU cooler) and stopping air from moving up and out the top and drawing the heated exhaust air coming off of GPU below CPU cooler from moving up and mixing into cool air thus warming it before it goes into CPU cooler. Remember that every degree warmer the air going into a cooler on a hard working component is a degree hotter that component will be.

·
A title was here
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm new to this section so I didn't know who Doyll was.

Anyways, if I put a sound card in the bottom PCI-E 1x slot, would that impact airflow to any significant degree ?

The NH-D15 is going to block the top one.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
If you have a reasonable space between the GPU and the sound card, you shouldn't run into any issues. As long as it's not right under the GPU, that is.

·
Premium Member
27,411 Posts
Quote:

I'm new to this section so I didn't know who Doyll was.

Anyways, if I put a sound card in the bottom PCI-E 1x slot, would that impact airflow to any significant degree ?

The NH-D15 is going to block the top one.
What pez said.
thumb.gif

I usually put audio card in one of bottom slots on ATX boards. It does affect airflow a little if using a bottom intake, but not enough to worry about. I've seen a degree or 2, maybe 3c warmer GPU temps at full load.

·
Filthy Casual
2,949 Posts
Quote:

Since it's relevant:

This case looks so good... Bruh... I'm going to order this
wheee.gif
So excited to build in it and have the Cryorig R1 Ult actually fit into a case!

Good thread. Thanks all for giving your
2cents.gif

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajer29 View Post

This case looks so good... Bruh... I'm going to order this
wheee.gif
So excited to build in it and have the Cryorig R1 Ult actually fit into a case!

Good thread. Thanks all for giving your
2cents.gif
Always happy to help!

And I think it's a highly underrated case. It lives in the shadow of the Evolv, even though it offers the same internal layout and better airflow
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
27,411 Posts
Quote:

Always happy to help!

And I think it's a highly underrated case. It lives in the shadow of the Evolv, even though it offers the same internal layout and better airflow
biggrin.gif
Pro M also costs less than half as much as Evolv does.
wink.gif

Enthoo Evolv is $189.99
Enthoo Pro M is 89.99

1 - 20 of 139 Posts