Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 3-pin fans i would like to use, but my mobo only supports pwm fans (P8Z77I)
Bought the Phanteks PWM Fan Hub, but at 5% pwm it put out 9v and at 20% it was pretty much full speed.

Is there a good product on the market for this (that gives a normal range)?

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
Swiftech makes one I believe but it's PWM only
http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter.aspx
Quote:
The function of this device is to connect up to 8 PWM devices (fans and/or pumps) to a single PWM fan conector on the motherboard, thus enabling speed-control of all connected PWM devices concurrently.
$14 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Swiftech-8W-PWM-SPL-ST-Way-PWM-Splitter-Sata/dp/B00IF6R4C8
$10 on Performance PCs http://www.performance-pcs.com/swiftech-8-way-pwm-splitter-box-sata.html
$10 on Sidewinder computer http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/sw8waypwmsps.html

5% is about 9V and 20% is about 10.6V for the phanteks fan controller as per http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/hardware-clinic-2/phanteks-pwm-fan-controller-hub-review-4846134.html

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raketkirurgen View Post

I have 4 3-pin fans i would like to use, but my mobo only supports pwm fans (P8Z77I)
Bought the Phanteks PWM Fan Hub, but at 5% pwm it put out 9v and at 20% it was pretty much full speed.

Pretty sure that motherboard, like other ASUS Z77 models can control 3pin fans in voltage mode. Have you tried using the ASUS FanXpert?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Looks like the same result, but that has to be broken right? who would want to buy a controller with that range? Makes it pointless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroCat View Post

Pretty sure that motherboard, like other ASUS Z77 models can control 3pin fans in voltage mode. Have you tried using the ASUS FanXpert?
PWM only, not that you can install fanxpert on anything newer than win7...

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Quote:

Looks like the same result, but that has to be broken right? who would want to buy a controller with that range? Makes it pointless...
PWM only, not that you can install fanxpert on anything newer than win7...
There's something newer than Win 7? Interesting news. Prolly not better tho.

Could try speedfan. Or go Aquaero, altho, be cheaper to buy 4 new pwm fans. And as an enthusiast on OCN it's pretty much required that you have at least a dozen unused fans on hand at all times.
biggrin.gif

The NZXT Grid+ V2 Controller appears to offer control of a 3pin down to 4.7V. Review at TT.

·
Premium Member
27,137 Posts
Quote:

There are at least 2 different versions of the Phanteks PWM controlled 3-pin fan hub out there. Exactly what the differences are I don't know, but their PCB and components are different.

I have used both and have had not problem controlling 3-pin fans over pretty much the same range as they have on 3-pin variable voltage control .. from low PWM% rpm idle to full speed. I'm in no way doubting you are having a problem because others have had similar issues .. most were resolved, but some were not.

To the best of my knowledge Phanteks and Nzxt are the only ones making commercial PWM to variable voltage adapter systems. I know a guy in UK that makes them as a hobby and has supplied many of us with his design. It works well and has adjustments for user to customize the voltage / rpm curve to their specific needs.

Can you give us more information about what you have and how it is all hooked up?
Quote:
I think the question is about PWM controlled 3-pin fan hubs.
Not PWM fan hubs.

What the cat said. I have not tried the Nzxt Grid

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,208 Posts
I have had this issue with ASUS boards and the Phanteks hub many times. The only solution I have found is fan tuning through FanXpert or QFan tuning in BIOS (which this board does not have). The issue is actually not with the Phanteks hub, but with ASUS PWM implementation and the way it interacts with the hub.

BTW - the chassis fan header on this board is DC, not PWM. Not sure I would put four fans on it, though.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
was/isn't the Bitfenix Recon capable of taking PWM input ?
Or am i confused with some other make/model?

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnRollie View Post

was/isn't the Bitfenix Recon capable of taking PWM input ?
Or am i confused with some other make/model?
Not that I am aware of, and I do own one. I would think I would be using it if it did......
wink.gif

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroCat View Post

The NZXT Grid+ V2 Controller appears to offer control of a 3pin down to 4.7V. Review at TT.
Thanks will check it out
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Can you give us more information about what you have and how it is all hooked up?
Power via sata, pwm via supplied cable and fans in 1-4 on hub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

I have had this issue with ASUS boards and the Phanteks hub many times. The only solution I have found is fan tuning through FanXpert or QFan tuning in BIOS (which this board does not have). The issue is actually not with the Phanteks hub, but with ASUS PWM implementation and the way it interacts with the hub..
Sounds like I should stick to pwm or get that x99 itx asrock board i've been looking at, got any experience with that and the hub?

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,208 Posts
Quote:

Sounds like I should stick to pwm or get that x99 itx asrock board i've been looking at, got any experience with that and the hub?
No.....simply because I wouldn't use an ASRock board.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm also interested in alternatives to the Phanteks hub as they are not designed to work at really low PWM cycles and one of mine recently died presumably because of that.

·
Premium Member
27,137 Posts
I have heard rumors the Nzxt Grid+ V2 digital fan controller hub may be an option, but as I said, only rumors. I have not been able to get one to test and review, nor do I know anyone who has.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It looks like a very basic Aquaero, being their main selling point their control software. As I Linux user, I will be paying extra for a feature I won't be able to use. Will consider it but keep looking for alternatives.

Too bad I no longer have enough free time to look into more DIY stuff like trying to implement something similar with an Arduino and a more profer MOSFET for low speeds...

·
Premium Member
27,137 Posts
doh.gif
I hadn't even considered that!
I have Aquaero 5 Pro and love it (never use the 5.25 screen). It's just so much more than the Nzxt I never even gave it a thought as a 'fan hub/controller'. But with it's price sub £50 now, it is a fantastic deal for what it can do. Initial learning curve is probably not as easy, but accessories and expandability is almost unlimited, not to mention all kinds of good support on forums and from Aqua Computer.

Aquaero is simply light-years better in every way. There is Linus software for it too.

Considering the Nzxt Grid+ V2 is £26.99 / 34.90 EUR and how much more capable the Aquaero 5 LT is £48.95 / 59,90 EUR, it's a no-brainer to go the extra and get the Aquaero 5 LT.
With the accessories and expandability it is unbeatable
thumb.gif
.. except for the Aquaero 6.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
The Alphacool HeatMaster - designed for Pumps may be able to be used just for fan controlling
smile.gif
Although its not much cheaper as the AQ 5 LT

And then, there is mCubed -if you ignore the idea they are probably made by some austrian monks on a mountaintop and then handed down from monk to monk to newly initiated during some obscure ceremony- -- i say this because its unclear who (still) makes and distributes them and i am seriously considering buying up all of them i can find, just to sure
smile.gif
.... but the mCubed T-balancer could also be an option.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts