Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Linux Lobbyist
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally out, at least the 120mm model, come on 140mm (normal + frameless for Dual Tower Heatsinks), you're the ones we're waiting for :)
The AIO with 38mm depth looks a worthy competitor to Arctic Liquid Freezer II.

Liquid-Crystal Polymer, same tip clearance as Noctua at 0.5mm (compared to 0.7mm tip clearance of Thermaltake Toughfan), and most importantly it seems to be using Sunon Dual Vapo Maglev bearing similar or better than the Corsair ML series xD

30mm depth, 3 modes of operation: 1200 RPM / 2000 RPM / 3000 RPM

REVIEW from VSG on Techpowerup:

REVIEW from Steve at GamersNexus:

"Reserved"

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
So no PWM mode and it’s 5” thicker, plus 40db? No thanks I’ll stick with the Noctua’s.

• Rep+
Reactions: cstkl1

·
Linux Lobbyist
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So no PWM mode and it’s 5” thicker, plus 40db? No thanks I’ll stick with the Noctua’s.
Ahm, no ?, it's 4-pin which means PWM, and 40db is for 3000 RPM, In a like for like comparison it's 27.7dB for 2000RPM for the Phanteks vs 22.3dB for 2000 RPM for Noctua. Static pressure 3.3mmH20 for the Phanteks compared to 2.34mmH20 for the Noctua, and Airfow 67CFM for Phanteks compared to 60.1CFM for the Noctua.

But the point is mute, they almost certainly measured with different parameters, and on it's own it means nothing without proper testing. The pitch, relative type of the noise from the motor, etc, is much more important.

Thicker is just default PRO in my book.

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
The different modes threw me off. It doesn’t mention PWM control till you scroll down. I just read the specs and didn’t see it so I assumed.
As for thicker that runs into problems when WC since most fans are normally 25” adding another 5” can be a tight fit depending on fan mounts. That’s another 10” when in push/pull

·
Linux Lobbyist
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for thicker that runs into problems when WC since most fans are normally 25” adding another 5” can be a tight fit depending on fan mounts. That’s another 10” when in push/pull
Considering the 240mm AIO version is 38mm thick compared to standard 27mm, another 5" on the fans is gonna be the least of someone's problems xD. Personally, I don't see a point in push/pull with these Sterrox LCP fans optimized for static pressure. Just push should be more than enough.

Also the 360 version of the aio is the standard 27mm depth.

My use case is gonna be Noctua NH-D15/S, and 30mm fits perfectly between the 2 towers.

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
Yeah I’m just considering the fans on their own not with an AIO. If they want to compensate against the Noctua’s they have work in all setups.
27mm is not the standard 25mm is.
I’m glad you don’t see a point for push/pull, where I see the performance increase so I’ll go with that and stick with my Noctua’s.

·
Never Finished
2,393 Posts
Uhhh well it's about time they released these fans. But I have to say, achieving 3000rpm with a .5mm tip clearance is pretty ballsy, especially with the fan being taller and heavier than a 25mm fan. But it does look like the blades are thicker than my A12x25 ones, so that's probably how they managed to achieve that. There are also less blades which helps with rigidity too.

Looking at the TPU review, it is the best performing fan out there right now when it is noise-normalized, scaling better at higher fanspeeds. Mag-lev bearings are pretty good noise-wise, and you get more rpm range out of it versus the a12x25. As long as the noise profile isn't jarring or doesn't have any major quirks, it looks like a win in my book.

• Rep+
Reactions: Dogzilla07

·
Otherworlder
7,587 Posts
i like how they claim this fan has a >150,000 hour lifespan.

·
Premium Member
27,883 Posts
Definitely look interesting. Think I'll try getting a few to test. Haven't done any testing in several years now. Hope I can still get free samples.

Much of their higher performing spec is due to added thickness.

Actually many of the fans I've tested were more than 25mm thick .. usually 26-27.4mm. But for fans to perform well they should have at least 1/2 their diameter clearance. 1/2 as much clearance is to give fan enough airflow area to draw air form. Many of our applications have 1/3rd, often even less. Obviously not on rad or cooler, but on open side. So even though PH-F120T30 is thicker, it's needed airflow area of 60mm (1/2 fan diameter) means it's added thickness is only lowering it's 60mm needed clearance to 56-57mm (3-4mm). In other words will rarely be a problem .. unless 25-27mm thick fans already have too little clearance. ;)

• Rep+
Reactions: Slaughtahouse

·
Never Finished
2,393 Posts
So this versus the A12x25:

6 vs 10 year warranty
fan speed switch vs lna adaptor
30mm vs 25mm
maglev vs sso2 (basically a hydro/magnet hybrid)
black/grey vs brown
slightly better noise normalized performance that progressively scales better than the a12x25 the higher the rpms are
3000rpm vs 2000rpm
$30 both
Extension cable and screws vs the same (minus m3 radiator screws), y cable, gasket, tool-less fan mount

Overall, it's competitive in multiple key areas.

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,823 Posts
I like the fact that these fans also have 3 operation modes (in addition to PWM control).

Should help control more precisely a desired RPM (if you want 1200rpm etc.) Gamer Nexus is building some sort of new construction to allow for fan testing. I believe the space should be ready in the fall. Curious to see how this stacks up against the Noctua from other reviewers too. So far, this fan looks promising.

I just wished the price was a LITTLE more competitive. $25 would of been a no brainer but they know these will sell against the Noctua with the black colour scheme. Triple pack at $85 helps ($28.33 per fan). You can also "add" RGB to them for that demographic.

Current road map for Noctua (as of today). Looks like the black version is coming soon. Hopefully 140mm fan also lands shortly. It's getting interesting...

·
I can count to potato
1,046 Posts
I like it. I've been waiting on the black noctua's to come out for... a long time lol. Depending on availability, I might pick up a few of these instead.

·
Iconoclast
31,560 Posts
Looks promising, though I wish TPU would have done some higher RPM comparisons.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Took long enough, this was a long wait... but if the TPU review is accurate (and VSG was always one of the best testers around), it was worth the wait? Certainly glad to see that Phanteks keeps making actually good fans and somebody has to keep Noctua on their toes, right

And I don't see extra thickness as a big negative, how often do you see radiators with so little clearance that you can't spare another cm or so unless it's an extreme SFF build? And any aircooled setup in a modern case can accomodate thick fans because so many have extra space for radiators.

I'll probably pick up a 3-pack to give them a try, given the good review.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I am interested in future 140mm version.

• Rep+
Reactions: Dogzilla07

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
All fan reviews should include a sound clip of the fans in use. With and without a radiator and in push/pull. Sound signature is also very important.

I'm interested in the 140mm version as well though I may have spacing issues if going push/pull

·
Registered
190 Posts
It’s the best fan on the market. Period. It beats all at the same noise level. Can go low RPM while beat ling everyone. Can scale all the way to 3000 RPM and destroy Noctua Industrial fans. It’s a master of all trades and jack of none.

·
Otherworlder
7,587 Posts
Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 claims >300,000 hour lifespan
well yeah, i was thinking of its 3000RPM though, for something thats spinning that fast to have more than 15years lifespan, not even NIDEC's fans are rated that high.
albeit Noctua's 3KRPM industrial fans are also rated as such, perhaps their lifespan isn't measured in continuous workloads like NIDEC's does.

·
Never Finished
2,393 Posts
It’s the best fan on the market. Period. It beats all at the same noise level. Can go low RPM while beat ling everyone. Can scale all the way to 3000 RPM and destroy Noctua Industrial fans. It’s a master of all trades and jack of none.
I wouldn't go that far, but yes it is indeed a fan that performs really well based off of TPU's review. While it is technically "better" than the A12x25, we're talking about a difference in the hundredths of a CFM/dB(a). In the real world, you won't see a difference between the two noise-normalized. At this point, noise profile is more important than dB when the two fans perform so closely to each other.

If you look at the CFM/dB(a) charts, you see that the T30 starts to slightly pull away as the RPM increases which is a good indicator that the fan blade design can scale well at higher rpms. If someone needs 120mm a fan beyond 2000rpm, then this is a solid choice. There are valid reasons for picking this fan over the A12x25 and vice-versa.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts