Overclock.net banner
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,336 Posts
Story of my life. Day late and dollar short as Americans say. :D

Indeed, not an easy install. Is this your Meshify 2 case?
Trying to think of a way to cheat and make it easier. Like maybe a little double stick tape to hold fans in place on radiator? Or maybe tape fans to rad on sides until screws are installed, then remove it?
Gaffer's tape to the rescue! Two issues with this configuration though

1. To clean on the fan impeller side, I have clean them in-place from the other side. Than looks painful with these curved blades.
2. My temperatures are slightly warmer now. the pull config did better.

Might go back.
EDIT: Another thought: Pull with a shroud on the case side of the radiator (not your typical use of a shroud)!
temps see better at high rpm and a little worse at low. Is this the fan motor heat?

·
Premium Member
27,897 Posts
Gaffer's tape to the rescue! Two issues with this configuration though

1. To clean on the fan impeller side, I have clean them in-place from the other side. Than looks painful with these curved blades.
2. My temperatures are slightly warmer now. the pull config did better.

Might go back.
EDIT: Another thought: Pull with a shroud on the case side of the radiator (not your typical use of a shroud)!
temps see better at high rpm and a little worse at low. Is this the fan motor heat?
Interesting. Not sure why but in no way am I doubting it. Airflow is a fickled witch in the best of times .. and a horrible one at other times.

Shroud between case and rad should work fine. Not sure what to use to make it with. Maybe got to a hobby shop that sells plastic sheet and angle goods used to make model buildings, bridges, etc. 4 angle pieces 30mm long, 2 sides 30mm x about 365mm (about the length of 3 fans / length of radiator) and 2 pieces about 124mm (about length of radiator width). Strips long enough so when glued to inside or outside of angle pieces in corners that the screws into each corner of radiator are inside of spacer box.

This is probably how I would do it:

Link to angle .. maybe 3.2x3.2x375 of angle stock or similar to glue in corners. Might be able to just glue side together without angle pieces in corners.​
Link to 0.8x31.8x600mm for sides and ends:​
May need to add a cross piece in middle or 2 space evenly to hold sides rigid.​
Might be able to cut pieces with fine hacksaw blade. What is needed to cut depends on how hard plastic is. I use a razor-saw, but they are not cheap:​
Maybe something like this:​

Either plastic glue or super-glue should put it all together.​
Decent hobby shop staff should be able to help get you sorted.​

• Rep+
Reactions: GeneO

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,336 Posts
Defintely louder too with the push through the rad at 1600 rpm. This is under desk so front of case fan sound carries more. ~ 1c warmer avg. core-ambient for 112/112 no-AVX. Goint to go back to pull.

Back to pull, better temp, quieter, easier to maintain.

Did not find push as quiet as hoped and also heard vaning through the rad at load.

·
Premium Member
27,897 Posts
Might not actually be louder, but being in front nearer venting instead of inside of motherboard compartment behind rad means less baffling to lower noise level so more sound reaches your ears. Hope that makes sense

I'll have a 3-pack myself in a few days.

• Rep+
Reactions: jura11

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,336 Posts
Might not actually be louder, but being in front nearer venting instead of inside of motherboard compartment behind rad means less baffling to lower noise level so more sound reaches your ears. Hope that makes sense

I'll have a 3-pack myself in a few days.
Yes, I know. It does.

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,336 Posts
Not sure how I would post the video, but I can look into it tonight. At 1600 RPM there wouldn’t really be any noise to record so I would probably have to try higher.

Compated to any fans including my noctua, these ate better. Not just the Vardar fans.
Hmm. In my rig, these fans are not silent at all running at 1600 rpm. They only start going below my threshold at about 1100 rpm. This is in a pull configuration from the front of my Meshify 2 case. They are very good though. The sound is pleasant.

When I get a quiet moment in my man cave, no AC or fridge noise to add their tonal , I will try and capture an audio clip with my phone. It's been in the 90s here all week.

·
Premium Member
27,897 Posts
Hmm. In my rig, these fans are not silent at all running at 1600 rpm. They only start going below my threshold at about 1100 rpm. This is in a pull configuration from the front of my Meshify 2 case. They are very good though. The sound is pleasant.

When I get a quiet moment in my man cave, no AC or fridge noise to add their tonal , I will try and capture an audio clip with my phone. It's been in the 90s here all week.
Even though fan sound recorded and played back on same system .. or sent over internet and played back on another system usually don't sound exactly like fan, they are still better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
27,897 Posts
I received a 3-pack of T30 fans today.
I'm very impressed with how well fit and organized each fan holder is and how these fan holders fit together to keep fans from moving or being damaged. Well thought out bit of kit.

Next thing I noticed was how the daisy change socket is fit close to fan with length to mail plug the length of fan side .. so when you daisy-chain 2, 3, 4 fans together cable is a few cm longer than fan .. no 'snake' of excess cable to try and organize. I'll try and get some pics together tomorrow.

I think I'll post my testing and using of them here as I start using and testing them, then move results over to a new review thread when I get it organized.

• Rep+
Reactions: jura11 and acoustic

·
Registered
891 Posts
I received a 3-pack of T30 fans today.
I'm very impressed with how well fit and organized each fan holder is and how these fan holders fit together to keep fans from moving or being damaged. Well thought out bit of kit.

Next thing I noticed was how the daisy change socket is fit close to fan with length to mail plug the length of fan side .. so when you daisy-chain 2, 3, 4 fans together cable is a few cm longer than fan .. no 'snake' of excess cable to try and organize. I'll try and get some pics together tomorrow.

I think I'll post my testing and using of them here as I start using and testing them, then move results over to a new review thread when I get it organized.
Yes please! Also, please link your review thread here once you make it. I'm very interested in seeing more user testing.

I hope this pushes Noctua to maybe do a slight refresh on the A12x25 when they finally release the black version.

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,336 Posts
Even though fan sound recorded and played back on same system .. or sent over internet and played back on another system usually don't sound exactly like fan, they are still better than nothing.

Well for what it is worth, here is a 1600 rpm recording. I placed my phone microphone about 6" from the front of the case. I tried inside but there was too much air turbulence. So you are hearing the fans pulling through the radiator. Starts out at 800 rpm, then about 5 seconds in I switch it to 1600 rpm.

·
Premium Member
27,897 Posts
Here is what I've got so far. Not much but lower cooler intake air temp. Not a big difference in this application, but on a readiator I suspec it would be much more evident. 3x T30 definitely move more air than stock MP impeller case fans at same noise levels. This was done using funky MSI fan controller software. (n)

My sound meter died so used my ears to balance sound level. Above results are at same sound level within maybe 2dB. That's as good close as my ears are able to hear a difference in dB. I know because I have used sound meters alot. ;)

·
Linux Lobbyist
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
Anyone running the new Sterrox-like MSI fan that came out recently maybe ?

Yay there's a test of it:

Looks to be more silent and have more static pressure than A12x25, hm, ... I wanna know what performs better Phanteks or MSI xD

Though Phanteks is still a much better fan and worthy buy, just on the merit of a much better motor than the MSI.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts

Looks to be more silent and have more static pressure than A12x25, hm, ...
I’m a bit confused as to why he won’t give a buying recommendation without the price being public, unless it’s a steep increase compared to T30 or A12’s and can actually complete with them, price shouldn’t be much of a factor

·
Linux Lobbyist
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
@Shawnb99 idk, the fan is not out yet in major markets (i haven't scoured the net much), but yeah there's no way it's more than $25-$35, which is gonna be very similar to the main competitors. Oh btw Power Logic is the OEM.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
@Shawnb99 idk, the fan is not out yet in major markets (i haven't scoured the net much), but yeah there's no way it's more than $25-$35, which is gonna be very similar to the main competitors. Oh btw Power Logic is the OEM.
Yeah that’s what I figured. Since it’ll cost roughly the same, it should be easy to give a buying recommendation. Interested to see the final review and if he recommends them over the others

·
Linux Lobbyist
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I'm quite surprised it's so much quieter than the Noctua A12x25, though Igor did mention something about weird noise, if not mounted in a certain way (the translation is weird), maybe there's some resonance issues ?

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
I'm quite surprised it's so much quieter than the Noctua A12x25, though Igor did mention something about weird noise, if not mounted in a certain way (the translation is weird), maybe there's some resonance issues ?
Yeah it even sounds better under 1000rpms.
Though the Noctua’s does beat it in CFM and static pressure but not by much.

Looks like they will make a decent alternative, here’s hoping for a nice price

• Rep+
Reactions: Dogzilla07

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,896 Posts

Looks to be more silent and have more static pressure than A12x25, hm, ... I wanna know what performs better Phanteks or MSI xD

Though Phanteks is still a much better fan and worthy buy, just on the merit of a much better motor than the MSI.
Very interesting. I wish they had done noise normalized tests, but the rpm normalized have them really close to the NF-A12x25, and the noise tests show them as quieter at same rpm. I would definitely be interested in trying these oy. I'm not sure how you are surmising better SP from these results, though.

·
Linux Lobbyist
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I would definitely be interested in trying these oy. I'm not sure how you are surmising better SP from these results, though.
Forgot to specify, I always glaze over MAX speed results, and was talking about the 50% (1000RPM) results.

P.S. interesting fact, he didn't go into detail, but Igor did mention on a comment for his youtube video of this review, that from his experience testing T30-120 and SIlent Gale P12, Phanteks is still the superior product xD

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
One nice thing about the Phanteks is the mode switch works fine with voltage control vs other solutions I've seen in the past to try to do the same thing so you can still use them with your old ass manual controllers like I have haha.

I remember seeing that MSI fan on one of their streams recently, not sure it's really available yet.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts