Overclock.net banner
161 - 180 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, yes, an OCN user has made this comparison. He even did it in a very methodical way using good quality test equipment rather than saying "the temp on my CLC was eleventy below ambient while the dB app on my phone said they had no dB!". He even published the results on a major site where one of the most respected cooling reviewers (which happens to be him) writes - Phanteks T30-120 Fan Review - One Fan to Rule Them All?
Oh I saw it, yeah.
I decided to not get T30 because I read some amazon reviews from people who was actually using T30 and not just testing and some of them reported the annoying motor/blade noise.

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,405 Posts
Oh I saw it, yeah.
I decided to not get T30 because I read some amazon reviews from people who was actually using T30 and not just testing and some of them reported the annoying motor/blade noise.
Not here, but possible I suppose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bad mounting/air noise maybe because of hard restrictions?

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
I can quote them here
one of the fans I bought developed an annoying rubbing sound after a few weeks (think cheap oil bearing) that would not go away
having purchased in total nine of these fans for two systems, i needed to return three as pwm settings were being ignored and regardless of switch settings the fans always wanted to use the 3000rpm profile. Wanted to return the others also however buyer must pay to return and then accept phanteks will also deduct 15%
Under load, the noise level is still acceptable but unfortunately it has a whir that I find unpleasant.

·
Premium Member
28,373 Posts
Oh I saw it, yeah.
Keep in mind many users on Amazon, etc. have skills similar to monkeys .. sometimes that's a stretch. Not being

Often "annonying motor/blade noise" and "pwm settings were being ignored" are identity ten tea (ID 10 T) issues. Fan not responding to PWM setting is not a fan issue but fan controller issue. 'Annoying noise' issues with curved blade fans are almost always the result of grill, filter, mounting screw tension and/or other things that fan has no control over.

Edit:
Here's more test results showing Phanteks T30 being significantly better than Noctua NF-A12x25
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Premium Member
28,373 Posts
I'm a scrub too using mobo fan control too. While not great it does the job.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Only scrubs use onboard fan control.
I really hope you're referring to fancontrol by remo0 and not some overpriced piece of crap like corsair commander "not that pro" that comes with the same malware that mobo makers serve you, or a 140€ aquaero.

Also "scrubs" are the vast majority from PC community. I'm one of them. Not only i lack the cash to spend 40-60% of the budget on cooling in a RIG, but also despise the idea completely, not only because of the cost, but because of lack of efficiency as well. I like running my build with 5-6 fans (coolers included), and have most of them stopped while at idle and low loads.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I just tie my fans to the VRM temp. Works pretty well and stops the constant up/down that you experience when it's tied to the CPU temp.

I've seen the fancontrol software, looks pretty awesome, but I have no reason to mess with what I'm using now. Going from an MSI Z490 to ASUS Z690, I think MSI had better fan control.

·
Premium Member
28,373 Posts
To be fair, aqua computer controllers start at 49.90€ for QUADRO with 4x PWM channels. Next is OCTO with 8 PWM cannels for 74.90€, then aquaro 6 LT at 140€. All use same control software which is free for life. Only need to pay to update to newer versions .. which I've never seen a reason to do even on my old, old aquaro 5.

I set fan curve to idle about 500rpm and usually peak out about 1100-1200rpm. Peak RPM is just fast enough to keep temps below about 75c @90% load. I'm not a gamer so highest temp component is CPU with HTPC GPU not getting hot. When stress testing fans do spin faster .. like 1300-1400rpm @ 100% load

·
Premium Member
28,373 Posts
Kinda figured it was .. at least mostly. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
To be fair, aqua computer controllers start at 49.90€ for QUADRO with 4x PWM channels.
Yeah. The Quadro is more than that where I am, as is the competition. Comparatively, all the ITX or (m)ATX motherboards I've looked at recently have had 4–6 PWM fan headers.

Going from an MSI Z490 to ASUS Z690, I think MSI had better fan control.
Judging by the ASUS B550 board I'm working with at the moment, it wouldn't be hard. ASUS FanXpert 4 is the current version but the board, which is in current production, is locked to FanXpert 2+ and isn't updateable (unless there's some sort of jailbreak I haven't been able to find, anyways). The only curve inputs are a CPU temperature—ASUS doesn't document which temperature it is but I suspect it's the average of all of the cores—and a motherboard temperature at some undocumented location that's pretty useless since it barely changes. The curves themselves have only minimum, middle, and maximum points, the poor mouse response in the BIOS makes positioning them tedious, and I found it trivial to manually improve on the auto fan tuning and benchmarking. Can't comment on FanXpert 4 directly but, in ASUS's documentation, there aren't any obvious differences from 2+.

What ASUS offers here is functionally adequate in an entry level sort of way. Given the diversity of workloads I'm a bit confused why it isn't the default to sense GPU, CPU, VRM, RAM, and M.2 temperatures and have the relevant fan RPMs respond based on whatever's running hot. I'm left with the feeling ASUS is just doing the minimum to tick their marketing checkbox and isn't thinking much about customers.

So +1 for FanControl from me.

·
Shooting down fallacies
9,245 Posts
I really hope you're referring to fancontrol by remo0 and not some overpriced piece of crap like corsair commander "not that pro" that comes with the same malware that mobo makers serve you
I've always felt like the Commander came out of a board room conversation like this:

Exec Team: "NZXT is getting an awful lot of press with this CAM thing. We need to get on that!"
Engineers: "But most of the CAM press is bad, that software is incredibly buggy."
Exec Team: "Well, then make something even buggier, dammit! We won't be taking a backseat to anyone. I want the buggiest setup ever devised!"

·
Premium Member
4,491 Posts
I really hope you're referring to fancontrol by remo0 and not some overpriced piece of crap like corsair commander "not that pro" that comes with the same malware that mobo makers serve you, or a 140€ aquaero.

Also "scrubs" are the vast majority from PC community. I'm one of them. Not only i lack the cash to spend 40-60% of the budget on cooling in a RIG, but also despise the idea completely, not only because of the cost, but because of lack of efficiency as well. I like running my build with 5-6 fans (coolers included), and have most of them stopped while at idle and low loads.
I'd never recommend a corsair commander . There's joking and then there's recommending Corsair. I would recommend the aquaero if you can afford it or a Quadro if you can't, though it does really depend on how many fans you're running. Just a handful and I understand not wanting to spend extra.

161 - 180 of 218 Posts