Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by blob

I know... thats like adding a Mach II section, and only one person would be in it.

well, also for those who don't have a setup and want to ask questions...

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

For the 2 whole people on this forum that have phase change systems?

Not for long....hehehehe. I am learning on how to build your own. I just bought a torch, some tubing, and compressor to practice on. I am also studying to get my EPA certification for high pressure gases. I will soon be able to purchase said gases. Once all this is done and I practice a bit, I will post up a nice big article on phase change.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Yeah, that's assuming you don't impload your computer or blow your arms off

I'd kinda like to build my own system...but I get this feeling that it still wouldn't be much cheaper than buying one...

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

Yeah, that's assuming you don't impload your computer or blow your arms off

I'd kinda like to build my own system...but I get this feeling that it still wouldn't be much cheaper than buying one...

i don't exactly know what a phase change system is composed of, but the materials (excluding said gases) would more than likely be cheaper to get/put together, mainly because of labor and other such expenses that the company incurs as a result of manufacturing...

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Well then, that's why you barrow my huge ass compressor which is equilvalent to two of me width wise and 8' 6" tall. My father is a press printer, but also has a car garage in our garage. We like air tools, beats the hell out of useing our own musle.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
LOL, yeah the compressors used are usually out of air conditioners or dehumidifiers. Usually around 1/4 to 1/2 horsepower or so. You can usually find used ones for pretty cheap. It's all the tools/gases/labor that become expensive. If you know what you are doing, you can build one for FAR cheaper than a new Prommie.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

LOL, yeah the compressors used are usually out of air conditioners or dehumidifiers. Usually around 1/4 to 1/2 horsepower or so. You can usually find used ones for pretty cheap. It's all the tools/gases/labor that become expensive. If you know what you are doing, you can build one for FAR cheaper than a new Prommie.

you might have to take into account buying in bulk from companies, too. but even that still is expensiver (wd?) than buying a prommie.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Dudes... just buy a compressor like they use for nail guns and stuff.... all you'd need to do is put a tip on the end that is tiny and turn it to full blast... I know my compressor can cause frost on a glass and if I leave it in one spot long enough it will start to freeze the water.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittani

Dudes... just buy a compressor like they use for nail guns and stuff.... all you'd need to do is put a tip on the end that is tiny and turn it to full blast... I know my compressor can cause frost on a glass and if I leave it in one spot long enough it will start to freeze the water.

That sounds like a thread for the Experimental Cooling Section.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I know as much about phase change as I do women. NOTHING You could make a guild about them and I would read it. Then decided if I wanted one. Women good yet very complex, phase change good yet very complex.

·
Registered
712 Posts
oh.. for those that don;t know what phase change is... try this...

open your mouth and breathe on your hand... like you were going to fog a window... feel how it's warm?

now make a tiny opening in your mouth (smaller than when you whistle) or get the front part of a retractable pen and blow through the big opening. ... the air coming out should be cool.

Now for the basic physics. When you compress a gas (like freon in older refrigerators) you add energy to it. This causes it to get warmer (heat is actually energy) when that is released at high pressure the energy rapidly dissipates. Because of this change in state from high pressure to low... it wants to maintain balance so it sucks any energy it can out of whatever the compressed air touches. This is a phase change...

another test... take a can of compressed air like you use for blowing out your case and turn it upside down... when you blow out the liquified air it VERY rapidly expands... causing frost.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.