Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, before installing this interesting cpu I had a Phenom X3 8750 BE on the same mobo, nothing bad, a good overclock at 2850 ghz (from standard 2400) and a starting 1800 HT value overclocked to 2000/2200 via increasing bus speed...

I know that my mobo is a very basical mb, but I expected more from this new cpu.

First of all, I was surprised to see a standard HT value of 1600, the bios is the last, release 1402, the system is not "reactive" as I wanted, benchmarks and game performances are only a bit more than the last cpu, with a 400-500 mhz under, I don't believe that the reason is the fact to have a dual core againts the last tricore, phenom 2 x2 555 must be very faster than the last cpu...

...any suggest?
The solution is changing the mobo?

Is this screen showing all correct?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Problame View Post
Your mainboard seems pretty limited and it doesnt support the unlock feature so you can't even try unlocking 3th and 4th core on your new CPU.
Try updating the BIOS to see if that changes anything, else I'd get another board.
Thanks, is there any chance at the present or in the next future to release a software that could unlock these cores "via Windows" or this operation is tecnically impossible in this way?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Insert coin View Post
Thanks, is there any chance at the present or in the next future to release a software that could unlock these cores "via Windows" or this operation is tecnically impossible in this way?
It won't be possible in Windows. You can't tell if those extra cores are working or "defective" untill you've tried unlocking 'em (Thats why it's sold as an X2 and not X4).
If your unlucky the unlocked cores don't work properly and your PC will not POST/Boot windows.

Edit; Also check the settings Redhat_Ownage has given

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by redhat_ownage View Post
it is imposable via windows.
try bumping up your cpu multi to 18
and manually set the HT link to 2000
also make sure the nb frequency is 2000, you can find that under the "memory" tab on cpu-z
I can't set the HT link to 2000 manually, as yuu can see on the screen of first post the max is 1600 and I can only overclock the bus speed to increase his speed, with the same mobo and the last cpu (Phenom x3 8750 BE) the max was 1800, I don't understand why it was underclocked to 1600 since the installation of the new cpu....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Quote:

I can't set the HT link to 2000 manually, as yuu can see on the screen of first post the max is 1600 and I can only overclock the bus speed to increase his speed, with the same mobo and the last cpu (Phenom x3 8750 BE) the max was 1800, I don't understand why it was underclocked to 1600 since the installation of the new cpu....

Look for something like the HT(link/NB) multiplier, it corresponds to the Bus speed (standard is 200Mhz bus speed with 10x HT multiplier wich gives you the 2000 HTlink).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Look for something like the HT(link/NB) multiplier, it corresponds to the Bus speed (standard is 200Mhz bus speed with 10x HT multiplier wich gives you the 2000 HTlink).
On jumpfree configuration the only two voices under "hypertransport configuration" are:

Hyper transport speed: it opens a menu from 200 to 1600 ghz and "auto"
Hyper transport width: a little menu showing 8 8
16 16

with arrows up and down....
The bios version is the last, 1402.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Quote:

On jumpfree configuration the only two voices under "hypertransport configuration" are:

Hyper transport speed: it opens a menu from 200 to 1600 ghz and "auto"
Hyper transport width: a little menu showing 8 8
16 16

with arrows up and down....
The bios version is the last, 1402.
I've checked the manual and unfortionatly it's not possible to change it on this board.

About your CPU-Z screenshot: I'd say your HT multiplier is on 8x, hence only the 1600Mhz HTlink speed. So, the only way to increase the HTlink speed is by upping the bus speed.

Please do mind your memory settings when you leave everything on auto and increase the bus speed, it'll increase your memory speed aswell wich might cause problems.
(Set Memory Clock Mode to manual and depending on your memory get it down a notch to be sure).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

I've checked the manual and unfortionatly it's not possible to change it on this board.

About your CPU-Z screenshot: I'd say your HT multiplier is on 8x, hence only the 1600Mhz HTlink speed. So, the only way to increase the HTlink speed is by upping the bus speed.

Look this screem, it shows the same mobo running an overclocked Phenom X3 8750 (overclock by bus) with an HT value of 2070 (starting from 1800 as I remember), the only (may be rilevant, I don't know..) difference is a Bios version, the 1306, could be this?

May I downgrade my bios version, is this dangerous?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Quote:

Look this screem, it shows the same mobo running an overclocked Phenom X3 8750 (overclock by bus) with an HT value of 2070 (starting from 1800 as I remember), the only (may be rilevant, I don't know..) difference is a Bios version, the 1306, could be this?

May I downgrade my bios version, is this dangerous?
Weird, looks like the HT Multiplier is on 9x on that screen (2070:230 = 9).

I know its possible to do a BIOS recovery but don't know how exactly.

Edit: It's explained in the Manual. Check the Download Section, select your OS and download the User manual

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=JjmqcX3ZTWXmm3AF

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Weird, looks like the HT Multiplier is on 9x on that screen (2070:230 = 9).

I know its possible to do a BIOS recovery but don't know how exactly.

Edit: It's explained in the Manual. Check the Download Section, select your OS and download the User manual

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=JjmqcX3ZTWXmm3AF
OK. thanks for all!

I'm planning to change my motherboard very soon, this cpu requires a more powerful and useful mobo...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts