Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Phenom 8650, and upon bootup, I went into my BIOS to have it tell me that the chip was operating at some insane voltage, 1.8 or something. I know that can't be right, because I'm stress testing for instability (at stock for now) and I'm maxxing out at about 40C.

I'm really confused though, because coretemp says I have a dual core, CPU-Z tells me I have an opteron, and my BIOS tells me I'm killing my chip.

Reset CMOS?

Thanks guys.

Also, what kind of overclock formula should I look at for this chip?

The highest multiplier is x11, and I'd like to get to 3.0 stable. That's my goal anyway.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I never had any issues with it showing me different voltages on cpu z, but it is an opteron quad core with one bad core, so thats why cpu-z says that. Try HWmonitor from CPUID and see what that gives you.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arbiter419 View Post
My god, I hope this isn't accurate.

HWmonitor is showing a vcore of ~2.22

The computer wouldn't boot.

Do as said above and manually try to reset cmos and set voltages.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The latest version of CPUZ will show it at as a Phenom. The older one shows mine as an Opteron as well.

It is too bad you don't have the unlocked version. 3.0 GHz is going to require the reference clock running at ~272 MHZ

Even with ACC that is a tall order.

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Reasonably, you're looking at around 2.7 GHz max.

Yikes at those voltages. Try flashing to the latest bios.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
yes, reset CMOS...(and try diferent version CPU-Z)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey, Arbiter419 glad to see you got your 8650. Hopefully resetting the cmos and flashing to the newest bios will fix your voltage readings.

The highest multiplier is 11.5 and as I stated before on your other thread I'm still running my 8650 at 3.0 ghz on 1.32v.

You could run a reference clock of 261 with 11.5x to get 3001.5. I would also set the NB multiplier to 7 and the HT-Link multiplier to 7 as well. I would under clock the memory to rule it out for causing instability for now. You can always go back and oc the memory & tighten the timing later.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I've reset my CMOS and everything in the BIOS is set to default. The BIOS readings for the voltage are ~1.7 which is still really scary. But both Coretemp and HWmonitor are giving me an idle temp of 25C, and a full load temp of 41C. Would I be getting those good temps with 1.7 volts?

I really don't want to flash my BIOS, mostly because I don't know how, and I'm sure I'll brick the motherboard.

Is my chip really operating at that high of a voltage?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
à think no, what say Everest about CPU and temps and vcore?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
The 8650 would idle at 60C if it was running with 1.7V. Flashing the BIOS is easy to do if you have a flash drive.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think you should get in contact with Foxconn and see what they say. I also saw that they have a user forum. I think posting there might be more helpful. http://forum.foxconnchannel.com/

While I was on Foxconn's website I saw that newest bios for your board is version 799F1P12 and it came out last month. Here's the link to the bios file. Foxconn's website doesn't seem to like firefox.
http://www.foxconnsupport.com/downlo...0008&keywords=

I would first contact Foxconn and see if they suggest flashing. Flashing isn't very hard and I suggest you read your manual for the detailed step by step process.

I've never had issues flashing the bios on my older Foxconn and Asus boards. But having a dual bios on my Gigabyte board does alleviate concerns on bad flashes.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Is the first voltage of 1.2 correct? It sounds about right.

If this doesn't work, I guess I'll flash my BIOS..

EDIT: No, okay that's not right either.

I just found the voltage option (Computer -> Sensors) in Everest, and it's indicating 2.3 volts.

Flashing BIOS in a few.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that I've reset the CMOS again, and set everything to default in the BIOS, CPU-Z is now giving me a voltage of ~1.58.

I know that that's not stock, but it is within normal operating parameters, correct?

Still frustrated with this chip...

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arbiter419
View Post

Now that I've reset the CMOS again, and set everything to default in the BIOS, CPU-Z is now giving me a voltage of ~1.58.

I know that that's not stock, but it is within normal operating parameters, correct?

Still frustrated with this chip...

What voltage does the Motherboard say?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
What voltage does the Motherboard say?
It's indicating the same as CPU-Z, 1.58 - 1.60.

I really don't understand why this is happening.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arbiter419 View Post
It's indicating the same as CPU-Z, 1.58 - 1.60.

I really don't understand why this is happening.

Same here. I never had that issue with the chip.

Can you manually set the voltage in the bios?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Same here. I never had that issue with the chip.

Can you manually set the voltage in the bios?
No, Foxconn's boards are cool enough to only let me increase the voltage.

I shudder to think this...but could it be my PSU?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, well my problem still hasn't been resolved.

Last night before I went to bed, I shut my computer down and haven't turned it on until about 10 minutes ago. Upon the initial bootup, voltage in the BIOS was ~1.28, which is perfect. I thought it had somehow fixed itself. By the time I got into Windows, CPU-Z was already reporting 1.4, and now it's at 1.6.

Is there any reason for it to climb like this?

This sucks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts