Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just picked up a computer with a Phenom 9600 BE in it so i was excited to see what it would do...turns out it does nothing..
Here's the specs:

AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition (2.3 Ghz/1800 HT)
Foxconn A7GM-S 2.0
780G Chipset
4 GB 1066 GSkill Ram in unganged/dual channel
680 watt power supply, not sure the brand at the moment.. will look if needed.

Here's what I've tried. I was just trying to go to 2500 by increasing the multiplier to 12.5x, but it would freeze or BSOD in windows everytime i did. So i bumped the voltage by 150 mv... no change... so i thought i would just go for an end goal and set it to 13x and put it at 200 mv.. didnt even get to the windows loading.. so i went to 250 mv, got loading screen with lock-up.. at 300 mv, it started loading and then BSOD... I also tried to oc the HT/NB with no success. It runs 1800 mhz stock so i went 2000 on both with a 60mv increase on both... no luck... any ideas on why i can't overclock anything?

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
first gen phenoms suck
return the computer!!
getting a new dual core that can be overclocked gets more performance than the first gen phenoms!

but fill in your system specs if u want more help

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition (2.3 Ghz-- 11.5 x 200/1.8Ghz HT-- 9 x 200), Stock heatsink, ~55 C underload while @ 2.5 before it crashes.
Foxconn A7GM-S 2.0-- HD3200/780G Chipset AM2+/AM3
4 GB 1066 GSkill Ram in unganged/dual channel
630 watt* Raidmax dual 12v rail PSU ( i know raidmax sucks)
Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512mb GDDR-3
320GB WD Sata HDD
Sata super multi drive
And then i have 5 case fans, one right above the CPU, one above my Graphics card, one on the front, one on the back, and one on the off side.

anything else?

Note that i can get to 2.5 and stay there for longer if i use AMD Overdrive. and i will try to raise the FSB, but i will have to drop my ram back to 800 correct?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. FSB didn't change anything... I tried 218mhz and it crashed... i tried to set the HT link to 8x... crash... Multiplier @ 12.5x with 200FSB and 200mv boost.. BSOD... Maybe i should try boosting the Northbride and Southbridge more... could be the motherboard??

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'd rather have a $55 Athlon II 2.8GHz over a Phenom 9600.

I used to have one, it only went up .2GHz and performed like crap.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The first-gen Phenoms were plagued by the TLB bug, poor performance, lack of OC headroom, and 64-bit issues. You really should not expect much at all out of that chip. It was only until the 2nd-gen 9x50 Phenoms that AMD really got their act together.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah! i finally found the culprit(s)!!! Its not the CPU... That explains why Prime95 wasn't throwing errors b4 it crashed... maybe... Anyway.. I raised the NB & SB by 150mv/180mv respectively and now it is running 100x better - Cpu stock volts @ 2.5Ghz (12.5x) /1066ram bumped to 2.05v . Now i need to narrow it down specifically, and do u think thats too much voltage to the NB/SB?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No i can't return it.. I traded for it on craigslist. I really just wanted the case and the video card ;-) but it does perform better than my Pentium Dual Core E5200 (stock 2.5) and 3.6 Ghz surprisingly.

Yeah my brother has a Phenom II 940 BE and he clocked it up to 3.4 no problem and it runs great. I may invest into a Phenom II over Christmas. And a crossfire motherboard.

·
Premium Member
8,408 Posts
First generation Phenoms are allergic to big increases in both NB and HT frequencies. You should always try to keep both those values at stock (or close to it); increasing NB voltage sometimes helps here. Multiplier overclocking does not always work (many early reviewers limited themselves to multipliers because of the "BE" name and got crappy results, resulting in the idea that Phenoms sucked); try by increasing the CPU core frequency instead. Additionally, put your RAM on a multiplier and try to keep it close to its stock frequency. Yes, it's true that early Phenoms did not give amazing overclocks compared to their rivals of that time, but they generally overclocked similar their A64 predecessors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
unfortunately i don't have a RAM multi.. just NB and CPU. I can however drop the frequency to 800 and then bring the FSB up to compensate and drop the NB multi to 8... or heres an idea... my bios has 3 options for the RAM Auto (automatically sets to 800 because 1066 is considered an OC) Manual (200,266,333,400,533) or Limit(same options).. i wonder if limit would keep it from going past 1066 with an FSB OC. Ideas?

·
Banned
3,774 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by getbigtony View Post
first gen phenoms suck
return the computer!!
getting a new dual core that can be overclocked gets more performance than the first gen phenoms!

but fill in your system specs if u want more help

They overclock fine. I took a 9850 to 3.27GHz stable. There is always a clown around.

·
Premium Member
8,408 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibanezbass
View Post

...my bios has 3 options for the RAM Auto (automatically sets to 800 because 1066 is considered an OC) Manual (200,266,333,400,533) or Limit(same options).. i wonder if limit would keep it from going past 1066 with an FSB OC. Ideas?

Those are the multipliers. Nowadays BIOS list them like that. Set it to 333MHz and that way the RAM will run slower than the CPU (400MHz will make the system run 1:1). There is no performance drop from running slow RAM frequencies, so don't be afraid of lowering it all the way to 200MHz to experiment; CPU speed is king here and you should concentrate on that to get the most out of an overclock.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimibgood
View Post

They overclock fine. I took a 9850 to 3.27GHz stable. There is always a clown around.

the 00 are first gen's and second gens are 50's.

·
Premium Member
8,408 Posts
Not much changed besides the TLB fix, which was not that big of a deal to begin with. It didn't stop users from clocking those things in the 2.7-3.0G range. And ACC doesn't really do anything, specially on the early Phenoms; there was a test run done on XtremeSystems a while ago debunking the myth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts