Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
So I had a post (a few days ago) about whether I should go with dual core or quad and I have chosen quad and many people on that thread had suggested that I go with a Q6600. Yesterday, I was looking at reviews and such and remembered about the Phenom II. I don't have my mobo or CPU yet for my build and I'm not sure if it would be smarter to grab a phenom II instead of the Q6600 and the UD3P.
Thanks for reading

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
The Q6600 is an easy overclocker. If you get a new one, you might not get a good one. The low VID Q6600s were insane overclockers. Although the higher ones can still get up there if you get a good one. I have a 1.3000 VID and run at 3.6GHz with temps under 60C full load. You should check the for sale section and see if anybody is selling a low VID Q6600 if you go that way. Get a G0 stepping model with a <1.300VID and you should be able to get 3.6GHz easy.
That being said, I have heard great things about the 940. There are guys getting well over 3.6GHz on these also. It really comes down to what you prefer. I personally have found that Intel chips are easier to overclock than AMD chips. I enjoyed both equally.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
both set up would be good. i believe the amd system will do a little better than the q6600. both will game well.both oc like crazy. so really it is up to what you prefer. but the amd will be faster than the q6600. (enought to say yes i am faster).

·
Registered
832 Posts
Currently if you have to choose between a PhII 940 and a Q6600, the PhII is definately the better option. Although it is a little more expensive, the PhII is a faster chip in comparison to the Q6600 as the 940 is a competitor of the Q9450/Q9550 segment of the market.

• Rep+
Reactions: EFR450

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
ph2, also runs cooler and more efficient ftw

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
10,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFR450 View Post
Hello,
So I had a post (a few days ago) about whether I should go with dual core or quad and I have chosen quad and many people on that thread had suggested that I go with a Q6600. Yesterday, I was looking at reviews and such and remembered about the Phenom II. I don't have my mobo or CPU yet for my build and I'm not sure if it would be smarter to grab a phenom II instead of the Q6600 and the UD3P.
Thanks for reading
Definitely go for the phenom II over the q6600. If you're going to go intel, go for i7 but that can get pretty expensive. If you're debating between a 2 and 4 core cpu, why not get the triple core x3 720. It should overclock pretty well and there is a possibility that you can unlock the 4th core with a motherboard with ACC.

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamin3 View Post
Definitely go for the phenom II over the q6600. If you're going to go intel, go for i7 but that can get pretty expensive. If you're debating between a 2 and 4 core cpu, why not get the triple core x3 720. It should overclock pretty well and there is a possibility that you can unlock the 4th core with a motherboard with ACC.
I wouldn't bank on the fact that you can unlock the the 4th core. So far it's only been confirmed on a few and with specific weeks. AMD is also asking for the mobo companies to create new bioses for the boards so that you can't unlock the core. (the core could have a legitimate defect as well)

PhII or you if you have a little extra money go i7, which definitely beats PhII. Either option will perform very well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm, If I do go with the phenom II, are there affordable motherboards that match the price to performance offered by the UD3P mobo. at the moment, affordable for me is $130 and under after rebates/deals. The (supposedly) amazing performance from the UD3P is one of the things keeping me away from the Phenom II.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenutty1 View Post
I think the Phenom II is the smarter choice. Get a nice AM2 board like the one suggested above and you'll be golden.

Prime CPU choices:
X4 940 @ 3Ghz - Unlocked Multiplier $219
X4 920 @ 2.8Ghz $184
X3 720 @ 2.8Ghz - Unlocked Multiplier $147
awesome coming from someone who has the mobo and CPU I was looking at
. Can you get a similer overclock out of a 920 as the 940? or is the 940 the way to go.
and thanks everyone for all the info, very helpful.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
hmm most people here can oc a 920 upto 3.4 with ease. the average oc of a 940 is 3.8. but i've seen a lot going past 4.0 on air

• Rep+

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I popped a 940 in and was able to dial up to 3.7 with only a moderate voltage change. (And this thing is 8 hour prime stable... I have not bluescreened once since getting it) They'll push hard... Now just to get it to stay stable over 4.0!

Here's a Newegg code for 10 bucks off of a 940, too: EMCLNNP37

Enjoy!

Edit- 300 posts!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The high VID Q6600s are a pain to get above 3.2ghz on air cooling. The 940 will do 3.4-3.7ghz easy on air cooling, depending on the quality of it. They're both solid chips with similarly priced motherboard architectures.

The 940 are slightly higher quality versions of the 920, and you have to raise the FSB to get higher with them which will limit your overclocking ability and memory bandwidth. If you have the cash get a 940, but a 920 clocks similarly and you should be able to hit 3.4-3.5ghz no problem.

If you're water cooling the 940 is the way to go because these CPUs are very very happy at lower temperatures and you'll be able to get 3.75-4.00ghz without much trouble.

·
Registered
19 Posts
what about q8300 vs q6600, why nobody talks about the q8300. is q6600 better for overclocking that q8300?

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Just for kicks, here are some sweet combo deals with the 940BE.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.165048
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.165080
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.165047

Most of those are a 790GX board and the 940 BE for around $300. Its a total steal.

I'll echo what other people have said. The Q6600 is a great chip, but the newer ones dont OC as well as they used to, and the PhII's are offering higher speeds and good prices. I think its an pretty easy choice.

Good luck man

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by logan View Post
Just for kicks, here are some sweet combo deals with the 940BE.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.165048
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.165080
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.165047

Most of those are a 790GX board and the 940 BE for around $300. Its a total steal.

I'll echo what other people have said. The Q6600 is a great chip, but the newer ones dont OC as well as they used to, and the PhII's are offering higher speeds and good prices. I think its an pretty easy choice.

Good luck man

That last deal you listed is very tempting, especially with the $10 dollar off code that yabo typed. though, right now I could purchase a 1.2 VID Q6600 (used) and a UD3P new for about the same price as this combo with the code, Will this be able to OC better than that Q6600 with the very low VID? From what I have read on review sites and such, the Q6600 is better clock for clock than the Phenom II, so if they would both hit about the same OCed, the Q6600 would beat the Ph II out. Think the Ph II 940 will still be able to outdo that low VID of a Q6600?
Thanks much,
EFR

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Quote:

That last deal you listed is very tempting, especially with the $10 dollar off code that yabo typed. though, right now I could purchase a 1.2 VID Q6600 (used) and a UD3P new for about the same price as this combo with the code, Will this be able to OC better than that Q6600 with the very low VID? From what I have read on review sites and such, the Q6600 is better clock for clock than the Phenom II, so if they would both hit about the same OCed, the Q6600 would beat the Ph II out. Think the Ph II 940 will still be able to outdo that low VID of a Q6600?
Thanks much,
EFR
Thats a good deal... but it makes a hard choice.

The Q6600 might be a little faster, as both will OC to about the same clock. I would say that depending on the program, it wil go back and forth which one is faster, as some programs seem to like how intels work, and others like the PhII's.

The cool part about the AMD build, is that you'll continue to have new chips to upgrade to, since the AM3's are compatible with that board. While the Socket 775 is likely to start dying off soon, as i7 is already here, and i5 should be coming out eventually.

This just means that you wont need a new mobo when you upgrade, which will save you some $.

I think its a toss up. Myself, I'm an AMD guy (I know them better) so I'd go with the PhII because of the similar performance, but better upgrade-ability later on down the line, but I really dont think you can make a bad choice here.

Good luck

·
Registered
706 Posts
Quote:

Thanks much,
EFR
If that is the case then simply choose a side. It's a win-win situation.

I would go with PHII only because of the newer technology.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.