Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
7,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, before you all recommend the obvious choices for a new hsf, hear me out. I have an Arctic Cooler 64 Pro that previously was keeping my overclocked 90nm X2 5600+ cool - to typically around 30c idle / 50 load. Which is now being replaced with a Phenom II 940, that I'm awaiting in the mail. So, I was wondering, since the 940 BE is 45nm -- half the size of the 90nm die of my previous cpu, couldn't it cool the 940 BE just as efficient, given that it's only 45nm? I figured since it'd cool that whoppin', heat-hungry 90nm that good, then certainly it's gonna cool a 45nm better? Granted, 4 cores, but still.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
The 940s are also heat hungry despite the fact that they have a smaller 45nm die, you might need to get a better/bigger cooler than the 64 pro, because IMHO, I don't think it will cool that 940 too well.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
It depends on the TDP, when the manufacturing process gets smaller like from 65 to 45, AMD and intel find more goodies to cram into the processors because if they just replaced a 90nm version with a 45nm version the heat would come down but you would see no benefit. I could be wrong, but thats what I think.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I swapped the fan on my old AC64 Pro with a 92mm Silverstone. I am sure you could do the same thing if needed. Very easy to replace and cheaper then new a heatsink.

pink

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.