Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
8,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, before you all recommend the obvious choices for a new hsf, hear me out. I have an Arctic Cooler 64 Pro that previously was keeping my overclocked 90nm X2 5600+ cool - to typically around 30c idle / 50 load. Which is now being replaced with a Phenom II 940, that I'm awaiting in the mail. So, I was wondering, since the 940 BE is 45nm -- half the size of the 90nm die of my previous cpu, couldn't it cool the 940 BE just as efficient, given that it's only 45nm? I figured since it'd cool that whoppin', heat-hungry 90nm that good, then certainly it's gonna cool a 45nm better? Granted, 4 cores, but still.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
The 940s are also heat hungry despite the fact that they have a smaller 45nm die, you might need to get a better/bigger cooler than the 64 pro, because IMHO, I don't think it will cool that 940 too well.

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
I swapped the fan on my old AC64 Pro with a 92mm Silverstone. I am sure you could do the same thing if needed. Very easy to replace and cheaper then new a heatsink.

pink

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.