Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a few problems recently, and am wanting to check if my CPU overclock is the cause with P95. The problem is that whilst in games and when doing various CPU-intensive activities the temperature is fine, when I run for a few hours in P95, it can get quite high.

What sort of temperature should I be getting worried at, and stop P95 at?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MRHANDS View Post
62c is what AMD says is the limit
Yes, but that is ridiculously and unrealistically low. 62C is one hell of a safe estimate, it's like putting 'may contain nuts' on a milk carton.

I was looking for some estimates from people more in the know than me, I'm aware of how to search the AMD website.

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
At 65c you should take notice and at 72c and higher you should consider that to be your max. However, your not gonna be running max temps 24/7 so if you hit 80c then i would terminate your stability testing and either reseat cooler or maybe invest in better cooling with good quality tim like ocz freeze, ic7, or mx-3.

·
Banned
3,774 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FREELINE57 View Post
At 65c you should take notice and at 72c and higher you should consider that to be your max. However, your not gonna be running max temps 24/7 so if you hit 80c then i would terminate your stability testing and either reseat cooler or maybe invest in better cooling with good quality tim like ocz freeze, ic7, or mx-3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neurolysis View Post
Yes, but that is ridiculously and unrealistically low. 62C is one hell of a safe estimate, it's like putting 'may contain nuts' on a milk carton.

I was looking for some estimates from people more in the know than me, I'm aware of how to search the AMD website.

Do not listen to these guys who say over 62 is OK. The max for the chip is 62. Most everyone runs prime95 on 55 or less. Under 555 will be much more stable and under 50 is even better. Its not the voltage that degredates the chip, its the temps. If AMD says 62 then its 62 noobies. Not 1 degree over!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimibgood View Post
If AMD says 62 then its 62 noobies. Not 1 degree over!
Er, every chip is different. That's just a safe estimate by AMD which should be below the max on all of their Phenom chips.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Er, every chip is different. That's just a safe estimate by AMD which should be below the max on all of their Phenom chips.

Quote:

Do not listen to these guys who say over 62 is OK. The max for the chip is 62. Most everyone runs prime95 on 55 or less. Under 555 will be much more stable and under 50 is even better. Its not the voltage that degredates the chip, its the temps. If AMD says 62 then its 62 noobies. Not 1 degree over!
Let's just say that either of you could be right...

Do you really want to put that kind of chance on your CPU investment?

I shut down my system (got to go into the bios) and turn up the fans if i reach 50C on the CPU...if the NB hits 65C+ i do the same and add fans onto my motherboard accordingly...

I have failed Prime 95 tests at 50+C (under 60C) and i have also had buggy things happen at those temps...i have seen other Phenom II users with similar results under AMD's recommended temp limits...

In fact its one of the reasons i backed my OC down to 3.7Ghz at 1.52V...i am loading the CPU with Prime 95 blend and past the last few hours with my CPU fan running at half speed i haven't passed 39C-40C

What kind of temps are you hitting with what kind of voltage/clock?

I am sure there was a reason you created this thread

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rewindlabs View Post
I am sure there was a reason you created this thread
I wanted to test my overclock (was getting errors), but it is stable. In the end I put my computer in my garage overnight and left it running a blend test, it never got over 30C (temp outside was 0C I think).

My OC is currently 244 FSB/14.5 multi (3.53 GHz) at 1.5v, that's the highest I can go without pushing 60C in regular use, right now I only get it when doing FRAPS, for example.

But yeah, I tend to upgrade my CPU and GPU every 3 - 4 years, so I'm not so concerned about slight CPU degredation since I will probably have upgraded it by the time it would show.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Quote:

if u are gonna say something like this, why ask?
my comp auto restarted at 62c iirc before i got aftermarket cooling

and if you are getting errors, it's not stable
there's no it's stable because it's fully loaded at 30c in your garage if it's not that constantly
when it heats up by the summer, you'll get even more errors

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by getbigtony View Post
if u are gonna say something like this, why ask?
I know what the answer isn't, but I don't know what the answer is.

·
Registered
455 Posts
when they say safe temp, it means thats usually the point where people see instability. of course u can run it at higher temps if u have a very low clock. But in the end do u really want to run it at 70C but at like 1ghz? The higher the frequency, the more prone the cpu is to instability due to heat. But if u really want a safe temp, y not google the temp of the solder that they use in the manufacturing process. If it works after that, it is bound to work.

·
Banned
3,774 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FREELINE57 View Post

Intel boy has no idea what max temps for AMD is.

·
Banned
3,774 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by S1L3Nt View Post
when they say safe temp, it means thats usually the point where people see instability. of course u can run it at higher temps if u have a very low clock. But in the end do u really want to run it at 70C but at like 1ghz? The higher the frequency, the more prone the cpu is to instability due to heat. But if u really want a safe temp, y not google the temp of the solder that they use in the manufacturing process. If it works after that, it is bound to work.

???It's not the frequency that creates the heat. It is way more the voltage....

I am still trying to figure this reply out...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

???It's not the frequency that creates the heat. It is way more the voltage....

I am still trying to figure this reply out...

Frequency still has a noticeable effect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Phenom 940's just suck like that. Mine has never run cooler than 45c with the stock heat sink and fan. Prime 95 always gets up around 80C. I even bought an arctic freezer aftermarket cooler or something like that, I cant remember, and it was still running so hot I set it back to 3.0 and never tried to clock it again. Stupid thing never would run stable with 1066 Ram either. I had 2 different stores check the parts, cpu board etc and no one could get it working. Just a bad CPU motherboard Combo. AMD 940 Phenom II sux for overclocking and heat dissipation period.

Phenom II 940
MSI K9A2CF-F v2
G.Skill PC-8500 5-5-5-15-24 [but never passes prime 95] and all moduals check out otherwise.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etdavenport;11957018
Phenom 940's just suck like that. Mine has never run cooler than 45c with the stock heat sink and fan. Prime 95 always gets up around 80C. I even bought an arctic freezer aftermarket cooler or something like that, I cant remember, and it was still running so hot I set it back to 3.0 and never tried to clock it again. Stupid thing never would run stable with 1066 Ram either. I had 2 different stores check the parts, cpu board etc and no one could get it working. Just a bad CPU motherboard Combo. AMD 940 Phenom II sux for overclocking and heat dissipation period.

Phenom II 940
MSI K9A2CF-F v2
G.Skill PC-8500 5-5-5-15-24 [but never passes prime 95] and all moduals check out otherwise.
Yeah. I had motherboard on auto volts for a while.. 1.4v + stock cooler...
Low temp of 37c on 1.35v and high of 62c, 57c while compiling maps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.