Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to vent, originally I was running a Arctic Freezer 64 Pro with OCZ Freeze, as you can see in the screen shot I was running a core temp of about 39c at idle and 57-58c at load, and this is on the stock clock settings.

Ambient temp in my room is about 29c

I figured there has to be a way to bring down the temps some more without going crazy, I went out and picked up a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 and some Arctic-Cooling MX-3 since I heard both of these products were better then what I had.

So after spending another $80 (cooler,thermal paste,high cfm exhaust fan) my temps are exactly the same! what a disappointment.

Before

After

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Your ambients do play a major role in how it effects your temps. If you are pushing already warm air through your cooler you can not expect to get cooler than your ambients.
How did you apply your tim? Did you run a very thin line down the metal spacers on the base of the heatsink and let the pressure of the mount spread the tim?

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
If you have space in your case, you might want to try mounting your cooler vertically. If the back of your 5770 gets very warm, you'll just be feeding hot air into your CPU heatsink. If you put another 120mm fan in your 5.25 drive bays, that should help quite a bit too.

As you've found out, your cooler and thermal paste aren't the problem. So, it's probably either what I mentioned, or your sort-of high ambient temp.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by FREELINE57 View Post
Your ambients do play a major role in how it effects your temps. If you are pushing already warm air through your cooler you can not expect to get cooler than your ambients.
How did you apply your tim? Did you run a very thin line down the metal spacers on the base of the heatsink and let the pressure of the mount spread the tim?
I tried three methods of apply the tim, first i tried spreading with a credit card, then the vertical line, and lastly just apply a small dot in the middle as per arctic silver instructions. all yeilded simular results.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by trampton View Post
If you have space in your case, you might want to try mounting your cooler vertically. If the back of your 5770 gets very warm, you'll just be feeding hot air into your CPU heatsink. If you put another 120mm fan in your 5.25 drive bays, that should help quite a bit too.

As you've found out, your cooler and thermal paste aren't the problem. So, it's probably either what I mentioned, or your sort-of high ambient temp.
unfortunaly this thing mounts horizontally instead of vertically on am2 sockets like my freezer pro did, plus i doubt it would fit, looks like the top 120mm fan in my case would get in the way. I even had to remove one of my side panel fans since this thing is so tall.

·
Registered
564 Posts
That's really weird man... even disregarding the ambient temps the difference between idle and load is a little excessive...

These are my 940 temps

40 celsius is the highest it goes under load. It idles around 32 or 33. I'm using a CM 212

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IznastY View Post
I tried three methods of apply the tim, first i tried spreading with a credit card, then the vertical line, and lastly just apply a small dot in the middle as per arctic silver instructions. all yeilded simular results.
There is a method specifically for HDT coolers

I don't have the link handy so just google for "S1283 TIM application" and you will find it...there are picture guides to help you through it BUT this is most likely only going to help you a C or two and shouldn't be the cause of your high temps

Quote:

Originally Posted by IznastY View Post
unfortunaly this thing mounts horizontally instead of vertically on am2 sockets like my freezer pro did, plus i doubt it would fit, looks like the top 120mm fan in my case would get in the way. I even had to remove one of my side panel fans since this thing is so tall.
You can get a custom mounts for my S1283 via a member here that will allow you to mount it...(at a loss of words) well you can mount it the other way
and that should help your temps as well

I am actually ordering up on of the mounts as soon as the member contacts me...just search on here for S1283 mount and you should find him pretty easily (can't remember the user name off the top of my head)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.