Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently bought an AMD Phenom II 940 BE processor, but I have a bit of a concern. The temperatures at full load are reported to be between 55c - 59c, and I'm not sure why (the programs I'm using are in the screen shots). I am using the Xigmatek HDT S1283 cooler with the Antec 900 case, I have all case fans on high and its about 23c in the room.

My BIOS reports the temperature as 33c (after I leave it for about 10 min in the PC Health Status window) which seems right this chip ... I upgraded from a 7750BE @ 3.1ghz and the temps were only 23c - 25c idle and 33 - 38 load.

Also here are the screen shots:

Idle:
http://i31.tinypic.com/257g1sy.jpg

Load: (this goes to 58/59 with prime95)
http://i28.tinypic.com/2m49jcl.jpg

Any ideas? This just seems really off, I was wondering if perhaps there are bad temp readings with this chip? I'm at 3.4GHz now, not confident in bumping it up more, also another thing is it reads the voltage as 1.408v even though I have it set to stock which is 1.375v for this chip, I have tried uping it and lowering it also and it reports the same voltage. I have also tried reapplying the AS5 and re-seating the heat sink three times now and the temperatures are the same. Any help is appreciated

EDIT: Linked the screen shots instead, since they were huge.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm so you're saying that temp 1 seems to be to correct reading in SpeedFan?
Thing is, temp1 doesn't budge that much it stays between 33 and 35 celsius, and under load doesn't change so I don't think that can be the core temperature for me. Temp2 on the other hand does change significantly it remains about 5 - 6c below the core temperatures, but I think that is the overall CPU temperature.

I am thinking about trying the same sort of thing you did, raising the clock speed and voltage and seeing when I actually hit the limit, in case I have faulty temp sensors. One thing I'm unsure about is ... since I don't have a CMOS speaker, would my motherboard reboot when it gets too hot? I don't want to risk burning something, but its a relatively new motherboard so I think it should ... I also set the BIOS to warn me when it hits 60c, but again I don't have a CMOS speaker, so I don't know how that warning would work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts