1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm trying to oc my phenom ii 960t

Generally I can unlock it, but for now Im going with oc with 4 cores

My mobo is ma770t-ud3p rev 1.0, with additional small radiators on the power section, cpu phenom ii 960t with silentiumpc spartan he923 cooler.

At this moment i was able to reach 4ghz stable with max temps around 55c (44 core temps)

At this moment my voltages are:

Nb voltage control:1.420

Nb pcie voltage control: 1.8

Cpu nb vid control: 1.2v

Cpu voltage control: 1.425

i reached at the moment this stable setting:
211 fsb
4009mhz (x19) on cpu
2532mhz (x12) nb
1406mhz on cl7 on memory

1. The most important question is, if i have correct voltages, because at first i bumped the cpu nb vid voltage, and i figured out that i should have been bumping the nb voltage control, am I correct?
2. Second question, when i was on fsb 200, and had my cpu at 4.0, max nb for me was 2.4, when i changed to 2.6, the pc didnt start, and gave me a long buzz, but it started on 2.6, when i downclocked the cpu just to 3.8. what can be causing this?
Of course the pc is faster with higher bus, but still would be nice to know:)

·
Riding on the edge
3,245 Posts
This is a blast from the past :)

1. Yes to stabilize the NB freq you need to increase CPU/NB (not VID in most Bios') but some times it gets confusing. Your NB @ 1.420 for 2600MHz seems way high. I've included a snip of my 1090t @ 4013MHz 1.404v for comparison only. My setup CHIV/1090t ran a 3000MHz NB freq with 1.36v CPU/NB 24 hr P95 stable. Over volting can/will cause instability same as under volting. It might pay to try again with lower voltages.

2. First guess voltages are off and perhaps too aggressive? Are you using OffSet Voltage Mode or manual? Offset in most cases uses less Vcore for same OC. No mention of LLC settings which will also help.

You haven't mentioned Ram voltage, note:
It's not uncommon on the AMD platform that ram may require more voltage (+.05) than actual voltage spec as spec is rated for Intel which uses less by nature. This may even apply to default settings.

If you're comfortable with Bclk OCing (works great with Phenom II) you will find even more performance the higher you go.
The key to Bclk OCing is to isolate and OC just one area at a time (CPU, NB freq, Memory, Bclk) while leaving others areas at stock freqs. Once you have an idea of your limits than combined them (add one into the mix at a time and test).

When adding Bclk it's important to add only a few MHz at a time and reboot, rinse and repeat. Large increases probably won't boot, it takes a little time. Lower multipliers as you go to keep things within a working range.

Choose a Bclk freq that works with your Ram freq and make that your goal for Bclk. If for example you have 1600MHz memory a 250MHz Bclk will get you just slightly over 1600MHz but normally workable and retains a useful NB freq.

I have no idea what options you have in your Bios to be a lot of help but know, you have a NB voltage that may help the Bclk OC and CPU/NB for the NB freq.
Take a look below at snip and see if it's of any help. One more note, the memory in this snip is rated @ 1.35v default, currently/comfortably running 1.55v.
I wish Ryzen was this much fun to OC as I truly miss these good ole days of Phenom II and a strong ass Bclk OC.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts