Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm fairly new to overclocking but I just oc'ed my phenom 965 to 4ghz just by raising the multiplier to x20 and didn;t touch anything else (voltage,ram). Now, I was under the impression after reading trhough some forums that it was some what difficult to get to 4ghz on air and even still temps were usually above 50c. Right now I'm running prime95 torture test and max temp is at 48c. I almost feel like I'm doing something wrong because the results i'm getting are too good lol. Ironically, am I doing something wrong here? If I rasise fsb instead of raising the multiplier to 4ghz is that the same thing as vice versa? Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
if you're at 200x20 w/ auto vcore then it's probably going to bsod/crash real soon

fsb vs multi oc = no difference, although rumor is that some mobos prefer fsb oc vs multi oc, although ive always found multi oc to be most stable, some people liek to do a combo of both

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed, I do have it on auto voltages however I've been running prime95(in place torture test) for the past 3 hours and so far it's been stable at max temp 49c. I would like to set the voltages to manual however but I'm not sure what some of them mean, what values should I be putting for;
cpu
cpu-NB <- what does NB mean?
NB
SB<- what's this?
HT Link

-Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think your ok. I unlocked mine to a B460, using a asus board, using the same video card in a scout case, with a eco coolit. I've been running it at 20 multiplier, everything else on auto.
No problems, ran prime95 for 8 hrs, no errors, my max temp was 49.
You got a good chip! Also, the Half 912 does have plenty of airflow, and the CPU cooler you got is rated as one of the best for the price.
If you haven't crashed, after running prime95 overnight or any error messages, your ok.

·
Registered
178 Posts
if you set it to 4ghz and left the voltage on auto, and it didn't crash, you probably are getting 1.66v or something on the cpu. But that low temp on air cooling makes me wonder...
Screenshot!
I had another cheap ASUS motherboard before the crosshair4, and it used to do that. When I let the voltage on auto it took it to 1.66v.

Anyway, post a screenshot with prime running, with cpu-z and hardware monitor open and you will be famous! (?)

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koven;11989979
fsb vs multi oc = no difference
That's untrue. Raising the memory controller speed, ram speed, and htt overclock will all reap rewards over a strictly multi overclock that is only increasing the cpu speed. An overclocked fsb-nb overclock was showing huge rewards in Anandtech's testing. I remember that a Thuban with an overclocked htt-nb and a 3 ghz cpu speed was outperforming a 4 ghz Thuban with a stock htt. If you look around, I'm sure you can find it if you want to read about their testing.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Yes and FSB is also less likely to be stable as it increases your ram timings this will normally be the first thing to go, depending on the quality of your ram. Multi OC is definitely more stable but less effective.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts