1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I have my CPU at 3.7GHz 1.475v stable 24/7
But i wanted somethign to reduce heat / votlage during idle
I came across this program called PhenomMsrTweaker , So i went ahead and used it to downclock my processer during idle

So it is at 2000MHz 1.02v

However

I noticed when i like watch a youtube vid or something the clocks will jump to 3.7/1.45v then drop back down to 2000MHz/1.02v

Is this healthy for the chip with clocks/voltage going up and down when they are needed under load?

Ty

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
That app does the same thing as Cool N Quiet, the only difference is you control it. CnQ throttles my CPU down to 1Ghz @ 1.07v at idle.

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,704 Posts
Isnt this sorta what AMD Cool n' Quiet, and Intel Speedstep does? Should be perfectly safe, in fact its probably good for your CPU.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Been using this program since shortly after the 940BE became available. I love it, I let mine run 2.2GHz and testing 1.1v at the moment.

If you look in the service button, you can play with the "Overall CPU load threshold (%):"

I personally set mine to 45 since that is just about 2 cores cores fully active. Usually works fine that way since most encoding programs I use usually show activity around 54% so it's just enough to kick in to full speed.

·
Registered
176 Posts
mine downclocks all the way down to 480mhz
but its a athlon II
the only thing thats unsafe is that your using a cheap psu as that might stop working with constant voltage changes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts