Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 2829 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since oneluvballer21 isn't around quite a lot, some of us decided to create a new thread on the same topic. To make sure the first page with the OC-list is updated quite frequently.
The old thread will be merged with this one, so not all information will be lost.

This thread will be dedicated to making a list of all the Phenom II steppings and the max stable overclocks OCN users have attained with those steppings. I don't want to argue about what "stable" is, so we have to set a standard to verify each OC. This will be done by either posting a ss of Prime95 or OCCT. This doesn't mean you have to run a 10-12hr stress test, it just means that your system isn't crashing at full load at a time you think which fits (either 30min or 12hrs whatever you like).

To submit a listing, please submit a post containing the following:
  • Phenom II type (940, 920, 720, 955, 810, etc)
  • CPU stepping (printed on the CPU IHS) and manufacturing date (i.e. MCBBF 0109MPM, or whatever you have)
  • Revision (check CPU-Z)
  • max CPU clock speed, reference clock and multiplier
  • CPU voltage
  • CPU-NB voltage
  • Northbridge clock (check CPU-Z) and voltage
  • HTT link speed and voltage
  • motherboard used
  • motherboard BIOS revision
  • type of cooling
  • OS
  • a OCCT / Prime95 Stable screenshot
Also post a screenshot of your CPU-Z data with both the CPU and Memory tabs viewable... it makes it easier for me to find certain information for the database.
Note that we need exact voltages and no "stock", "default" or "+0.125".

If I'm forgetting a pertinent line of info, please let me know!

I'll be updating this as often as possible, but don't use CAPS if I take a couple days to catch up!

And please feel free to re-submit updated OC's, just resubmit it and post all info again.

Stable OC's

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rDEMzcpoLoeoDjdF6I2no7w&w=120&h=800 Google Spreadsheet

cpu-z validation only:

You can add you cpu-z link HERE

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rW4Jio6kNqj8SXvT5eXE0kg&w=120&h=400 Google Spreadsheet

What we think we've learned (so far):
  • -the Phenom II's like cold better than voltage when it comes to OCing, and for your max OC's you will need both. But NCspec getting ~4.2GHz on stock voltage with phase cooling shows that cold is better than voltage.
  • -it seems apparent that it requires less voltage at the same CPU clock speed if you get there through a higher reference clock, which in theory should give you more headroom via more voltage to play with. This is not 100% confirmed, but trends are leaning this way.
  • -HT-link clock does not seem to hold back any OC's, so 1800MHz (stock) should be fine.
  • -NB clock, on the other hand, has shown performance improvements in benchmarks, but is not worth a sacrifice in a significantly higher CPU clock. Go for your max CPU clock primarily, then work on your max NB clock. We've seen CPU OC's more stable with lower NB clocks, but MHz-for-MHz you can get more performance from a NB OC than a CPU OC; just don't sacrifice 400MHz on the CPU for and extra 100MHz on the NB. Test with benchmarking programs as you OC if you are looking for max performance, versus max OC.
  • -we've had little response in terms of CPU-NB voltage helping or hurting an OC, so the verdict is still out on this one.
  • -as for the steppings, at this point everyone has had the same stepping (CACVC) with some different production dates (all '08 so far, and weeks 48/49/50/51), and none have shown to be good or bad when OCing.
  • -as for 940 versus 920, you have more flexibility for max OC's with the 940, hands down. But the 920 is a very capable overclocker, provided you have RAM that can OC well, and a good cooler. Good OCing RAM is less necessary with a 940 because of its unlocked multiplier, however good cooling is obviously necessary for both.
  • -for future buyers, please understand that all the work so far has been done mostly with "standard" motherboard BIOS's... the manufacturers should optimize their respective BIOS's for the Phenom II given some time. Likewise, the OS's we're working with are in the same boat, and its possible that there could be a future patch that would help stabilize higher OC's or return better benchmark results (remember AMD dual-core optimizer...?).

·
Banned
930 Posts
PhII 940

Stepping : RB-C2 (don't know the manufacture date)

3797MHz - 217x17.5

1.50v

ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe 602 BIOS

Swiftech GTZ on it's on Feser 360 rad.

CPU-Z SS - i'm still trying for higher, no luck at 3.9GHz yet

·
Banned
930 Posts
lol, i'm thinking the exact same thing as you about the board and poopy CPU. i can't help but feel there's more in there somewhere.

but i'm happy with this 3dmark score

·
Banned
930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NCspecV81 View Post
Not sure if mine is a good or one not.

4.25GHz w/ 17x 250bus @ 1.56v /// Phenom II 940

Stepping is CACVC AC 0850BPDW
i'm gonna make a DIce pot and put this thing on a tech station, i have to know just how much of an effect cold can have.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixie View Post
Stepping : RB-C2 (don't know the manufacture date)
RB-C2 is the revision... I need the stepping. But I think having the revision info is a good addition to the list, just in case there are different ones (which I'm not sure yet). I'm sure you're aware, but the stepping is printed on the CPU lid.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Quote:

Not sure if mine is a good or one not.

4.25GHz w/ 17x 250bus @ 1.56v /// Phenom II 940

Stepping is CACVC AC 0850BPDW
What kind of cooling are you running...?

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexgheseger View Post
I got a crap one.

PHII 940

3740 Mhz - 220 x 17 @ 1.52 V

DFI 790FXB-M2RSH 9/30 BIOS

Stinger V8 on MRC220.

When i install my new waterblocks tommorow, i should be able to definitively rule out "crappy board".
Do you know the stepping...?

ALL POSTERS: if you have "?????" in the database, please help me fill in the blanks if you can... this is for the good of everyone else!

·
Banned
930 Posts
yeah i never checked that info out... when i redo my loop i'll check it, but that won't be for a few days at least.

oh, and my NB and HTT are at 2387MHz - CPU-NB volts @ 1.50v, HTT Link volts @ 1.30v. NB and SB cores at 1.30v. just for added info.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexgheseger View Post
I got a crap one.

PHII 940

3740 Mhz - 220 x 17 @ 1.52 V

DFI 790FXB-M2RSH 9/30 BIOS

Stinger V8 on MRC220.

When i install my new waterblocks tommorow, i should be able to definitively rule out "crappy board".
DFI have got 10/30 BIOS release out now. Its a stable release so you shouldnt have any problems with it.

Grab It Here

Beta wise we are up to 12/26

Beta Here

Might give you some better results.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

·
Banned
8,570 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pao View Post
NCspecV,
Where did you grab the crossfire bridge for your board at?

Thanks.
funny you should ask.. I have the cards sitting slightly crooked to use the normal length one until I'm able to order the longer crossfire bridge that I've saw on ebay. Just hard to drop 15 bucks on a bridge ya know?

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
Quote:

funny you should ask.. I have the cards sitting slightly crooked to use the normal length one until I'm able to order the longer crossfire bridge that I've saw on ebay. Just hard to drop 15 bucks on a bridge ya know?
There are no retailers that sell it? Ebay is great and all, but it being an only option is surprising to me.

I think this is an area that Foxxconn most assuredly dropped the ball on, hard.

·
Banned
8,570 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pao View Post
There are no retailers that sell it? Ebay is great and all, but it being an only option is surprising to me.

I think this is an area that Foxxconn most assuredly dropped the ball on, hard.

I just checked newegg.. however, I'm also stunned that foxconn did not bundle it with the board knowing the standard sizes are a slot too short to work!

1 - 20 of 2829 Posts