Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be the wrong place to ask this, but in regards to the fourth core being unlocked and using progs like cpu-z and hwmonitor, its showing my stats like this, "Phenom II X4 40" -- vice an X3 740, would that be a problem? My windows settings show it like that as well. Will this affect my ability to OC?

For instance, HWmonitor isn't showing separate temps for the different cores...?
LL
LL

·
New OCN got me like...
4,097 Posts
When you unlock the core(s), temperatures can't be read by those programs. I was able to unlock mine but any overclock gets it unstable, so i'll wait for a more educated person to give you suggestions.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Having an X3 identifier, but having 4 cores, causes it to call it an X4 40.

I'd imagine it's a glitched up reading of X4 940 etc

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
When you unlock to a quad you can't read your temps anymore period. If you find the stock unlock to be unstable try to throw some more juice at the CPU to see if it will stableize it. Worst off is that you unlock it but it's not stable.

The x3 is a tough chip though and you don't "need' the last core

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see I see, I've been tweaking it more and noticed that the overall CPU temp still appears to be working fine. I think I might have some problem with my unlocked core though, prime95 immediately has an error when I run any test on it after I have the core unlocked. But its completely stable overall...which is weird. As long as the clock settings I am using are stable it seems to be fine, just ran prime for 4 hours with 0 errors, got it up to 3.4GHz right now, pushing for 3.6 (running the tests right now). Impressive chip though, my windows score is 7.4/7.5 for the processor and my 3DMark/PCMark scores were higher than a bunch of the stock clocks from Tom's hardware latest Phenom reviews. Actually higher scores than the Q5550 also.

Anyways, thanks for the answers, love have this x3 quad!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts