Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. after all my researching and posting on the C3 Revision of the 955 & 965 BE chips. I've been given some bad news. According to MSI the new 965 C3 though being 125w, probably won't be supported by my mobo.

I planned to upgrade to a Crosshair III in the future but not now. That kind of upgrade would force me get not only a new mobo but new ram also. So I'm looking for upgrade suggestions.
I could just get a Phenom II x4 955 BE and call it a day since that chip IS supported. But then I'd have to eventually switch mobos to go any farther. Do you think the chip upgrade would be enough to game hard? I mean I still could upgrade my gpu on this board. Or do you think a mobo upgrade would be the best move? And if so, What mobo should I go for? I was given $200 for my b-day to get the chip so that's what I'll be working with. Any upgrade ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Go for the 955, the difference between the 955 and 965 is only 200mhz @ stock and they both seem to top out at ~4ghz anyways, so there would be no real reason to get the 965 unless you want the best AMD CPU there is

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
First things first... Where can you even buy the new c3 955 in the states?

IMHO, i think you are better just getting the 955 now and save some headache. The 955 is a pretty future proof chip and it will last you a long time. You will see a huge difference from the processor you are using now.

Heres why I don't think you should get a new mobo.

If you get the Asus CH3, not only will you pay more for the board, but also you will not see much performance increase

So you will have paid a lot for a little

A dollar now, is worth more than a dollar later

Hope this makes some sense!

PS:love the avatar!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts