Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I just recently built my rig and due to the time contraints I was under, I had settled with just using the Stock cooler that had came with the processor.

I scraped off the preapplied garbage and used Arctic Silver paste instead.

Now, my temperature is pretty much right around 40C idle [cpu fan at 3000RPM], and spike to 55-60C under load (but the stock fan gets annoying loud and obnoxious, spinning at levels above 4500RPM.

I am looking for something both a little better at cooler and a little quieter. My original plan was to attempt to overclock to 3.8 and if possible, push upwards to 4.0GHz, but that's once I get temperatures settled.

My biggest limiting factor in choosing a CPU heatsink right now is the case I have. I bought Helios 910 case, which features a 230mm side fan. This fan limits the internal room that is possible for a heatsink/fan to fit within and not remove the sidefan.

I believe the amount of clearance I have is something around 130 to 135mm before i will start hitting the fan (measured from the top of the cpu).

I have been looking at fans like the GeminII S and others, but I haven't been able to settle. After looking at frostytech's site for the top 5 low profile heatsinks, I am a bit divided (because the review is getting outdated some now) and would like some more recent input.

Does anyone here have a Helios 910 case or have ran into a similar issue, with height clearance being limited to something under 140mm?

Any input is greatly appreciated, but I am most likely unwilling to remove the sidefan itself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on doing some mild overclocking. I'm in PA so the temperatures are moderate, a little warm in the summer, but not really over 100F.

I think my case's ambient temperature is around 30C roughly.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have that case... I bought my cooler assuming it would fit without measuring. Well it pretty much wouldn't fit at all, so I just ended up taking off the giant side fan. It looks like the fan does a lot but I found almost no difference in temps, as the Helios has pretty good air suction from the top fans already. My 5850 gained about 1C at both load and idle. That's a pretty small sacrifice for the insane drop in CPU temps. Also since the top case fan sits almost on top of the CPU cooler you get a "halfish" push-pull system there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penecks View Post
I have that case... I bought my cooler assuming it would fit without measuring. Well it pretty much wouldn't fit at all, so I just ended up taking off the giant side fan. It looks like the fan does a lot but I found almost no difference in temps, as the Helios has pretty good air suction from the top fans already. My 5850 gained about 1C at both load and idle. That's a pretty small sacrifice for the insane drop in CPU temps. Also since the top case fan sits almost on top of the CPU cooler you get a "halfish" push-pull system there.
What are your temps like with your setup now?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Running P95 large FFTs about 50C, idle about 33-36C depending on time of day. GPU idles at about 35ish, load 70C. Though I try to keep the fan below 50%.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
I don't know about you, but I have found that installing a side fan does nothing for my temperatures (Xigmatek Midgard-W aka CM 690). Maybe I read your post wrong, but is it possible for you to remove the side fan and see if your temps change significantly? Most of the lower profile coolers probably wouldn't offer sufficient cooling for OC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered the Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 from Newegg today.

I will be removing my side fan for this, and will post resulting temps; some people are claiming as low as 20-25C at idle and under 50C under load (overclocked).

We'll see how close to those claims that the real-world performance is for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Received my cooler; removed the sidefan, and used some Shin Etsu paste (instead of the TX-2).

Temps have dropped significantly, and appear to be getting better as time goes on (burning in?)

CPU is at 30-40 idle now, and just below 50C under load; much quieter now.

Although I did notice something... if I put my memory into Ganged mode (128-bit), my machine will just shut down after a few minutes under OCCT. When I switch it back to Unganged (64-bit); it is fine.

Also, It's early, but I wanted to see what sort of multiplier and FSB people are using to get to ~4GHz on the 965/C3 cpu.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts