Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw one of these at my local PC shop today. Is it worth buying it? Does it affect the actual CPU if the top is scratched?

My scratched, I mean that this thing has been massacred. It looks like some animal clawed at it at least 30 times, but I don't think it was an animal. The cuts are only like 1.5mm deep though. The pins are still in good shape.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
If it works I would buy it and just lap it smooth with sandpaper. Can you test it?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
If the shop will guarantee that it will work then yes, it is worth it.

But do expect to spend some time lapping it to make it flat again.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemondrips;13057103
If it works I would buy it and just lap it smooth with sandpaper. Can you test it?
The store has a 7 day return policy if I return it in the original condition. I have an AM3 MB, so I could test it I guess.

Doesn't sandpapering it just ruin it even more?

·
sudo apt install sl
8,342 Posts
That is cheap get it! I would lap that processor if the pins are fine. It would affect the contact of a heatsink.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF;13057110
The store has a 7 day return policy if I return it in the original condition. I have an AM3 MB, so I could test it I guess.

Some people do it.
It's called lapping and I believe you have to keep using higher and higher grit paper till it has a mirror finish.

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
Lapping the Processor + heat sink will get rid of the small grooves and convex/concave of the processor + HS

Will lower your temps

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF;13057110

No you just start at a low grit and move your way up to a higher grit for a mirror like finish. There are a few guides on here how to lap a processor. I would first test it and run Prime95+Intel Burn test for a long time to make sure it works correctly.

·
Aint da way it used to be
2,837 Posts
Wow. That's pretty ridiculous to have it in that kind of condition. Offer them $100. If works it might be worth it.

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
Wonder if they had the stock heatsink stick to the cpu and used a screwdriver or something to pry it off?

So long as the pins aren't bent it should work fine. I ripped a 3600+ brisbane out of the socket and it worked fine.

I even bent the pins, tried to straighten them with a screwdriver & knife then finally got it back in the socket when someone told me about the 5mm mech pencil trick.

It worked fine

·
Bowser Has Ryzen!!
4,757 Posts
Arent those IHS's removable? Maybe replace it with another cpu's IHS, if it works great then track down another IHS to replace it.

·
OCN
1,540 Posts
I had my old opty naked in my lanparty board years ago, scared the pewps outta me when I was doing it =)

I'd snag it, make sure it works, and if its really hurting your contact with the heatsink, then lap her down some.

·
god loves ugly
4,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckclc;13057218
Arent those IHS's removable? Maybe replace it with another cpu's IHS, if it works great then track down another IHS to replace it.
I think AMD has started soldering them on. I bought a cheap-o $20 AM3 Athlon II 5000+ or something and it was soldered
frown.gif

·
Registered
501 Posts
Lap 1.5mm
eek.gif

Rather you than me
smile.gif
. I think the IHS is only a couple of mil deep anyway.

If you know somebody with a linisher, I would do that first, then finish off with various grits of wet & dry paper.

·
Bowser Has Ryzen!!
4,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehmaggot;13057262
I think AMD has started soldering them on. I bought a cheap-o $20 AM3 Athlon II 5000+ or something and it was soldered
frown.gif
AH, wasnt sure. Havent tried ripping off any lately.
smile.gif

·
Aint da way it used to be
2,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchie;13057271
Lap 1.5mm
eek.gif

Rather you than me
smile.gif
. I think the IHS is only a couple of mil deep anyway.

If you know somebody with a linisher, I would do that first, then finish off with various grits of wet & dry paper.
Yeah, that's a lot. Probably the best thing to do would just take off the high spots and let your thermal grease fill in the gaps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
lapp it till its mirror finish. IF u lap through the ihs uve gone too far hahahaha .... But seriously if u go all the way through the ihs sand the corners down and run her naked should give u some beastly temps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts