Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my x2 555 a few days ago started overclocking. This is my first Amd proc. Before I had an e4300. I'm still a nub at overclocking.

So I got it unlocked at it seems I can't pas 3.52GHz(2 hours stable). I tried different things raising multiplier and bus speed. Even at 3.6GHz the PC boots, but when running prime my screen freezes. My ram runs at 1:2 ratio(440). I think my ram is holding it back. But I can't figure out how to change ram effectively.

If someone can help me I really would appreciate it.

4x1GB OCZ DDR3 1333 RAM
Asrock 870Extreme3 moherboard
AMD X4 B55(unlocked 555) proc.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aliteDC View Post
I got my x2 555 a few days ago started overclocking. This is my first Amd proc. Before I had an e4300. I'm still a nub at overclocking.

So I got it unlocked at it seems I can't pas 3.52GHz(2 hours stable). I tried different things raising multiplier and bus speed. Even at 3.6GHz the PC boots, but when running prime my screen freezes. My ram runs at 1:2 ratio(440). I think my ram is holding it back. But I can't figure out how to change ram effectively.

If someone can help me I really would appreciate it.

4x1GB OCZ DDR3 1333 RAM
Asrock 870Extreme3 moherboard
AMD X4 B55(unlocked 555) proc.

With BE CPUs I'd suggest not upping the FSB. They don't respond like intel (used?) to be back in the day. Up the multi and voltage until you grab something stable.

For your memory see if you can slab them on the default 1333 settings in bios. up your cpu/nb to about 2.4-2.8GHz, along with its voltage to around 1.35V.

For ram overclocking run them at their default settings and play with the timings. 1333 7-7-7-20 2T ram performans much like 1600-9-9-9-24 2T, near identical. And likewise, you'll need to up the voltages to withstand that as well.

Keep you HT link to about 2ghz until you reach teh 4 ghz line. not until you are above or at 4ghz that you see an improvement in performance under a higher ht. plus, you'll need at least 1.4V to hit 3.52GHz (if your current isn't stable). Turn off/disable cpu and gpu spectrums.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You should try overclocking with it in dual core mode. It could be a crap core thats holding you back.

If you can bump up against 4 GHz in dual core, then enable a 3rd core and see if you can keep it stable. Mine only works with 3 cores active.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried with 3 cores at 4GHz with 1.52Vcore but when I prime95 it it freezes in just 5 seconds.

EDIT: Even with 2 cores active I got instant freeze when doing 4GHz at 1.55Vcore. Is it the ram, or do I just got no luck with the cpu.(I can change it because my supplier has a ''8 day return policy''. It could be that I do things wrong, because I don't have much experience with overclocking.

·
Registered
513 Posts
i really think u should loosen your timings first so u can find out if it's your cpu or ram that is holding your back....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got to 4.0GHz at 1.50Vcore with only two cores(two hours prime95). With 3 cores it crashed within 10 minutes. I think I'm going to return this to get an 1055T.

Thank you guys for the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts