Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok just got my new crosshair formula in and need a cpu for it. Should i go with a phenom x4 970 or a phenom x6 1055t? They are within $5 or so. really only game/surf web. no video encoding or anything like that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm in the same boat atm Blue. I have everything except the cpu atm lol. Tonight I decide one way or another. Ordering tonight so hopefully some one comes in here and persuades us one way or another. =)

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Either get the 955 or the 1055t. The 970 is a waste of money if your going to oc.

To be honest, I would get the 1055t, it is better for future proofing your rig, and eventually games will start taking advantage of 6 cores.

·
OCN
1,540 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Behemoth777
View Post

To be honest, I would get the 1055t, it is better for future proofing your rig, and eventually games will start taking advantage of 6 cores.

True, but by then it will be socket AM15++++ and LGA 1111155555566666, I'd say a 955 will do you fine and dandy

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
It doesn't matter if programs fully utilise 6 cores at once. Anyone whos owned a Thuban will tell you how good it is at multitasking, and general usage is so smooth, everything just works, quickly and efficiently with a Thuban. I also have an Athlon II X2 250, you want to install a small program? The difference is astounding, the Thuban will install it in seconds, the Athlon will think about for a while, then start doing it, then if your lucky it will actually complete the task! LOL

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah I'd say the 1055t also, it's going to pay off in the long run.. Also... I can't really see there being much in the way of noticeable performance difference anyway, depending on what you do. But since you said you won't be encoding, I don't think you'd notice, but $5 means that you're more future-proof and that you have the choice if you want it.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
1055t.

The Thubans have nicer NB's which overclock better, and the chips themselves seem to OC easily as high with the same or less volts/heat output.

Secondly, there are already a number of high-profile games which make use of the extra cores, and undoubtedly future games will continue to given how prominent these chips are becoming.

This is a no-brainer especially with how lovely your MB is. Get the Hex-core.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Destroyer
View Post

ok just got my new crosshair formula in and need a cpu for it. Should i go with a phenom x4 970 or a phenom x6 1055t? They are within $5 or so. really only game/surf web. no video encoding or anything like that.

95w 1055t. whidbey island represent!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts