Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have got MSI 970A-G43 motherboard paired with Phenom X6 1100T. My CPU cooler is Thermaltake NiC F4. I know my motherboards VRMs are weak but I'd only want to make the CPU run at 3.7-3.9GHz. I also need help regarding safe CPU NB voltages for the mobo.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,839 Posts
Under 1.4v/1.45v with good cooling for CPU-NB. Really not much reason to go above 1.35v for most people though.

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
Don't go over 1.45 with this mobo.

Also, try to stay below 55C-60C.

If you have a good cpu probably you can do 3.8-3.9 with 1.4 Volts.

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojala View Post

alright thanks guys what do you think would be a realistic overclock for my setup?
As said above this, 3.8 to 3.9 is really what to expect.
In some cases 4.0 is the limit but certainly don't expect more than that period from it on air.

I have an 1100T myself that hits 4.0 @ 1.40v's with ease and most should be capable of this or close to it.
Your cooler is about the same as mine (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106178) and that was the realistic limit with it.

There is a caveat here.... My setup was on a test bench at the time, I suspect yours will be inside of a case meaning 4.0 on air may NOT be feasable, more like 3.8 @ 1.375v's would probrably be the limit here.

CPU-NB speeds of about 2400MHz with about 1.14v's - 1.18v's max voltage for the CPU-NB voltage setting is fine and won't stress the chip much nor make it heat up alot either.
If it will run with less voltage do it since this affects CPU operating temps, the lower the better here. If it needs a bit more then give it what it needs and no more, CPU-NB speeds beyond 2400 will need more voltage and cause more heat to be generated like all else you can tweak.

If wanting more, get another board, stay away from MSI and their crap-VRM chips, improve your cooling while you're at it.... Yada-yada-yada.

If for some reason wanting to stay with MSI consider this - My 1100T slayed my old 790FX-GD70 and I wasn't pushing the system hard when it died.
In fact out of the 5 MSI's I have here, 4 are dead.... ALL due to VRM failure.

Most anything Asus, Gigabyte or even ASRock would be better - Even the DFI's made right before they quit the biz of making OC'ing boards are better quality than MSI.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton View Post

As said above this, 3.8 to 3.9 is really what to expect.
In some cases 4.0 is the limit but certainly don't expect more than that period from it on air.
headscratch.gif

https://valid.x86.fr/show_oc.php?id=2434202

Ran 24/7 at 4.2 @ 1.45v on a Thermalright SI-128 and an Asrock 870 Extreme3 R2.0. Handled a few benchies at 4.87 without heat or throttling issues.

960T was Zosma, a locked Thuban with 4 cores. Unlocked it to X6, so it's a Thuban.

biggrin.gif

4.0 should be easy, anything more is possible only if you have decent airflow to the VRMs, really. The Asrock 870 Extreme3 was not a killer board when it comes to the VRMs and I had no throttling (or death) issues at 4.2+.

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,159 Posts
I made no assumptions about his skill, setup or anything else - You or I could certainly do it but as an unknown I wasn't about to suggest such not knowing the OP's knowlege so suggested what should be 100% safe for it.

I'll never suggest anything that could be dangerous or just stupid to say to one that possibly lacks the knowlege/skill we have with it.
If between you and I then I'd say volt the crap out of it.
biggrin.gif

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,839 Posts
Nothing really talking about his skill, talking about the hardware.

With good airflow (as in a fan in the general direction) over the VRMs, 3.8-4.0 is silly low. Likely could do that on stock/near stock volts. The chip boosts to 3.7 out of the box. Calling a 100-200mhz OC the most you should expect and 300mhz out of the chip being considered "lucky" is kinda silly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i got it to 3.7GHz stable at 1.408 cpu voltage and 2520Mhz on the NB, I probably wont go any further since this was my main goal and my mobo is bad. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts