Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with evga and corsair and they both told me to not sli two 470's on my HX650W.

So the question is i have a seasonic 650w PSU here as a spare. What is the best way to supply both 470's? How do i "Jump start safely" this power supply to power this 2nd 470?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I don't know much about running two PSUs, but I have read that you want to split the load somewhat evenly between the two. Maybe use the seasonic to power both of the 470s and the HX for everything else? Sorry I'm not much help.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Why don't you just sell both and buy something stronger ? Or just sell one if you can't sell both and buy one of the XFX PSUs (750 or higher), they are brilliant and i hear cheaper than others. No idea on how to use both PSUs btw

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
You might be able to do it, this is one of the few times you will here me saying someone is cutting it close. That PSU is really really good, good enough to get buyers quick.

I'd say buy an XFX or an Antec at around 750-850w then sell off your Corsair here on the forums.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
There's some refurb'd 1kW BFG psus at Geeks.com for $49. That's what I'd do.

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
That's probably not even going to be needed. They are covering their bums in case something were to happen. I was running my two 480s and OC'd 920 on an 800W. My APC reported that I was pulling ~600W from it during folding on all three. You'll probably never use more power than that. Even if you do, the HX650 is a solid unit that can handle probably 700W easily. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATFISH
View Post

That's probably not even going to be needed. They are covering their bums in case something were to happen. I was running my two 480s and OC'd 920 on an 800W. My APC reported that I was pulling ~600W from it during folding on all three. You'll probably never use more power than that. Even if you do, the HX650 is a solid unit that can handle probably 700W easily. I wouldn't worry about it.

Did you ever happen to notice what it pulled on startup?

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shub View Post
Do you fold or anything? A good 650W unit like yours is able to handle two GTX 470s. At the very least it'd be fine for a normal gaming load.

Edit: if you really want to try two power supplies (it could be fun after all, if only as an experiment), either follow the guide at http://www.overclock.net/power-suppl...ply-guide.html or get this: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/56...ter_Cable.html
As of late i have not done much folding and only fold on my CPU. I do however bench my system when i add new hardware. I do not want to OC these cards until i up the PSU i just want to run them in games and do some priliminary benches. This 2nd 470 is sitting on my chair mocking me

[email protected]
5-7200rpm 500GB
x3 140mm x3 120mm
x2 CCFL

Thanks everyone for the replies and Shub for the links

1 - 10 of 10 Posts