1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Knowing American carriers they will most likely throw so much garbage software onto the phone that runs in the background that the quad-core exynos CPU will feel like a 200mhz single core.

Yes, I know what custom ROM's are, but I like using my phone with the stock ROM and kernel for a few months to make sure all the hardware is okay before voiding the warranty.

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ Why? If you're flashing a custom ROM eventually, you might as well just do it right out of the box. You can just as easily completely revert the phone back to stock. Your provider has absolutely no way of knowing that you ever flashed a custom bootloader/ROM/kernel. No such thing as voiding the warranty in my book, and I don't see that as "defrauding" them at all. So long as you're not an idiot overclocking it to 2.0GHz, if the hardware breaks, you deserve getting it replaced as a defect under warranty. A different Android ROM alone wouldn't cause any hardware failures (again, aside from overclocking).

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF View Post

Knowing American carriers they will most likely throw so much garbage software onto the phone that runs in the background that the quad-core exynos CPU will feel like a 200mhz single core.
Yes, I know what custom ROM's are, but I like using my phone with the stock ROM and kernel for a few months to make sure all the hardware is okay before voiding the warranty.
A lot of phones have a bloatware-free version of the stock rom and kernel (custom ROM made by the community). Also, "temp rooting" will let you freeze/uninstall any system app... until you reboot.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Averaging 15Mbps download on AT&T LTE in my area on my ipad, and considering how much the speed means to me, ill definitely buying AT&T over Verizon (LTE is around 6Mbps in my area) or Tmobile. Forget about sprint. Dropped calls, ridiculously slow speed, crappy customer service for the 5 stores near me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF View Post

Root, install TB, freeze bloatware. Use stock rom and kernel. Not so hard as long as you can push some buttons.

·
phenomenal swag
3,673 Posts
The quad-core is nothing special...The Snapdragon S4 is A15 architecture while the Exynos is A9 architecture. The Snapdragon will most likely provide better battery life and much better single-threaded performance. How many different tasks can be done on a phone at once? Calling someone while downloading a file while listening to a song and looking up the latest match scores? I'm sure the Snapdragon can handle that just fine, and if not, no big deal because there will never be a time when I need to multi-task that hard on my smartphone. But that's just me. Maybe there's someone on OCN who will need all that horsepower for...something...

·
Banned
3 Posts
Averaging 15Mbps download on AT&T LTE in my area on my ipad, and considering how much the speed means to me, ill definitely buying AT&T over Verizon (LTE is around 6Mbps in my area) or Tmobile.
g.php

1 - 9 of 9 Posts