Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Chris Kenyon, the VP of sales and business development for Canonical, just spoke this afternoon at the Ubuntu 12.10 Developer Summit about what Canonical does with OEMs and ODMs. He also tossed out some rather interesting numbers about the adoption of Ubuntu Linux.

Here's some of the facts that Kenyon tossed out in his after-lunch keynote:

- Eight to ten million units shipped last year world-wide.

- Canonical will be opening their first Beijing office this year (their Taipei office right now handles most of their Asian operations since 2008).

- Last year Ubuntu shipped on 7.5 billion dollars (presumably USD) worth of hardware.

- Next year they expect to more than double these numbers to 18 million units world-wide, or what Chris says would be 5% of PCs shipping world-wide would be with Ubuntu Linux.
Source

More interesting desktop Linux news.
smile.gif

EDIT: Also, some news about Dell and Ubuntu from Engadget.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It would be awesome if linux keep gaining popularity give me something else to choose from besides windows. If I could game on it, without having to worry about coding stuff, I would switch to it today.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneplant View Post

I would like Linux to be mainstream honestly, it's fast and free. The only thing that's holding me back is its compatibility for gaming, and with Steam coming to it as well very soon the reasons for going with Windows is slowly diminishing.
High-end AAA gaming on Linux will always be limited though as most developers utilize DirectX though.

Then again, casual/indie games are becoming more and more popular..

·
Registered
445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

High-end AAA gaming on Linux will always be limited though as most developers utilize DirectX though.
Then again, casual/indie games are becoming more and more popular..
Also with mobile gaming becoming more and more popular, OpenGL will probably gain popularity since the top mobile operating systems use OpenGL ES. Something has to be done about the misconception that DirectX is superior to OpenGL in every way.

Also, just found this on Engadget. Maybe the beginning of Ubuntu going mainstream?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/08/project-sputnik-dell-ubuntu-developers/

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChvyVele View Post

Also with mobile gaming becoming more and more popular, OpenGL will probably gain popularity since the top mobile operating systems use OpenGL ES. Something has to be done about the misconception that DirectX is superior to OpenGL in every way.
Also, just found this on Engadget. Maybe the beginning of Ubuntu going mainstream?
I could put that at the top, if you want? Or maybe you feel like making a new thread for it?
I think it's interesting info, at least.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChvyVele View Post

DirectX is superior in OpenGL in its focus on gaming though. MS listens to game developers much better. OpenGL has to balance the input from game and professional software (i.e. CAD) developers.

Dell has offered Linux before... but nixed it due to low demand years ago.

·
Still on Sandy Bridge
1,375 Posts
I've used quite a few linux distros over the years. While I maintain a neutral position toward the OS in general, I really don't see what the big deal is besides the fact that so many people think it's cool to hate Windows. I mean cool as in tickling the same funny bone that makes people wanna wear Hollister and install 22" rims on their Hondas.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yea I try and use Ubuntu but I just don't like it anymore.

I always experience crashes and such, far more than I do on windows.

Web browsers freeze up on video and the OS hangs at times, I just don't see the reason to use it other than for programming assignments

And this is not because of outdated hardware/software, this is running 11.04-12.04 on my sig laptop, the issues don't go away

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_gunjee View Post

I've used quite a few linux distros over the years. While I maintain a neutral position toward the OS in general, I really don't see what the big deal is besides the fact that so many people think it's cool to hate Windows. I mean cool as in tickling the same funny bone that makes people wanna wear Hollister and install 22" rims on their Hondas.
rolleyes.gif
I take it Hondas are like, very common cars? In Sweden that would be Volvos, but I hear that's even a premium brand in the US. Quite funny, actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd View Post

Why is it always the (arguably!) worst Linux that do well... just doesn't make sense..
Because it is the (arguably) only one that tries hard enough.

·
Still on Sandy Bridge
1,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd View Post

Why is it always the (arguably!) worst Linux that do well... just doesn't make sense..
I know what you mean. I even prefer SalineOS over Ubuntu.

·
Dream with your eyes open
3,837 Posts
They need gaming, and freedom like Windows. Because freedom to the average user isn't dabbling in code all day. It is getting things done efficiently, so therefore Linux needs to get itself together. I really enjoy it, but it needs games for one, for two... to just be a simpler but freedom like OS.

·
Banned
5,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtag7 View Post

My company really wants Linux to go mainstream!
What company is this? Do you own it? Is it a support company? Do you develop apps for Linux? So many questions, so little time..

1 - 20 of 106 Posts