Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
One month after releasing Unreal Engine 4 and talking about Unreal Engine 4 Linux support, Epic Games released Unreal Engine 4.1 preview today and it's paired with first-rate Linux support.

With today's Unreal Engine 4.1 Update Preview is support for packaging and deploying games on SteamOS / Linux systems. The Unreal Engine 4.1 source code has the necessary support for handling Linux. In an UnrealEngine.com blog post, Mike Fricker wrote, "Folks have been asking about our early Linux efforts and support for Valve's SteamOS and Steam Machines. We have good news for you! The 4.1 source code has initial support for running and packaging games for Linux and SteamOS. We love Linux!"
Source

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Oh snap.

It has begun!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I'm dumb to this. What does this mean?

·
Registered
637 Posts
This is pretty huge news to be honest. Keep it comin' with CryEngine 4, Snowdrop, Frostbite 3, etc please!

·
Registered
451 Posts
So I hope this means Fortnite is coming to Linux. I like colorful games. Looking on Wikipedia there's already a good amount of games being developed with Unreal Engine 4. With CryEngine, Unreal, and Unity supporting Linux and going into some price war, the futures looking good for Linux gaming and SteamOS. With The Witcher 2 apparently coming to Linux and if that does happen, highly likely the Witcher 3 comes, Steam Machines will have a strong lineup early in it's life. As long as Valve persist with these Steam Machines, it would be insane for the PS5 and nextBox to not be backwards compatible.

·
You broke it!
14,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlindDeafMute View Post

I'm dumb to this. What does this mean?
Simply put, if the other engine developers follow, then gaming on Linux very well could be a mainstream thing. Which means the only thing holding a lot of people to Windows (games nearly requiring it) will be gone.

I relish the day that gaming on Linux is the same level as Windows.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Simply put, if the other engine developers follow, then gaming on Linux very well could be a mainstream thing. Which means the only thing holding a lot of people to Windows (games nearly requiring it) will be gone.

I relish the day that gaming on Linux is the same level as Windows.
It would be amazing if enough people get on Linux because of SteamOS and competitive hardware vendors, that it would lead to Adobe and Autodesk to bring their plantations worth of professional software to Linux. Now that would be something that could really hit Windows hard.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGreasy View Post

It would be amazing if enough people get on Linux because of SteamOS and competitive hardware vendors, that it would lead to Adobe and Autodesk to bring their plantations worth of professional software to Linux. Now that would be something that could really hit Windows hard.
At that point, Microsoft's only lifelines will be their console and enterprise market segments. Possibly mobile, if they can get that right.

Inb4 consumer PC market. Please, they bring in only a fraction compared to the enterprise segment.

·
: ( ) { : | : & } ; :
3,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlfman View Post

This is great news for linux.

Still hoping for news for a new unreal tournament game though.....
This... I still love UT2k4 to this day!

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
this is great news for Linux

It can only be a matter of a year before drivers are tight and the AAA games start to pour in
smile.gif

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Interesting. Lets hope that many games being produced with this engine will use this opportunity.

SteamOS is still beta right? Have not really looked at it for a while but hos the games support already - is it better than the current gen consoles (XBOne / PS4) or lagging behind. No exclusives that would knock peoples socks off at this point right?

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniflex View Post

Interesting. Lets hope that many games being produced with this engine will use this opportunity.

SteamOS is still beta right? Have not really looked at it for a while but hos the games support already - is it better than the current gen consoles (XBOne / PS4) or lagging behind. No exclusives that would knock peoples socks off at this point right?
Im not sure SteamOS will ever get exclusives as it might hit valves profit margin, however as a desktop user of Linux its great news. Not too bothered about SteamOS until every game made for the platform has a 10ft picture mode and correctly sized fonts. Its impossible to choose a server or change settings from the couch on games that dont have a massive easy to use game UI.

I still think valve should either buy up Canonical or Create there own Windows replacement Debian box with a tray launcher for Big Picture mode.

·
Read Only
5,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerMan1971 View Post

Excellent news
this is the stuff I was crossing my fingers for back in 1998
smile.gif
Let's just hope that when our mothers said that if we "crossed our eyes, they'd stay that way" doesn't apply to fingers. That's a long time to keep them crossed
tongue.gif

Seriously though, this is fantastic news, a giant leap for the Linux gaming community!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

I still think valve should either buy up Canonical or Create there own Windows replacement Debian box with a tray launcher for Big Picture mode.
Would be tough to buy a company like that with expectations for profits though. I think the path they are going down is good so far, if only for the amount of support from devs that we are starting to see.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts