Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
SpaceStationGaming
9,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
It has taken longer than anticipated, but it looks like Valve will be releasing Dota 2 with Vulkan API renderer support within the next week.

Valve had been working on the Dota 2 Vulkan renderer even before The Khronos Group officially unveiled this next-generation graphics API earlier this year, but it appears in the day ahead will finally mark the public availability of this feature.

·
Just Lift Bro
3,234 Posts
Why though?

You can run dota on a toaster I don't think vulcan will really help this game.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylzer View Post

Why though?

There is a reason why they want everyone to cut billions trees as fast and as much as they can for one of the community challenges - to see how the server and client side can handle particles, draw calls, etc to find bugs and how vulcan can make the game better.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Quote:

Why though?

Probably more just to learn about it and gain experience than anything. It works on Linux so when future games are made by Valve using Vulkan they will work on both SteamBox and Linux.
Which, I havent heard about the Steambox in a long time. Is it dead now?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

Probably more just to learn about it and gain experience than anything. It works on Linux so when future games are made by Valve using Vulkan they will work on both SteamBox and Linux.
I see it collecting dust bunnies at Fry's and BestBuy end cap displays...

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
Good, it makes sense for them to move to Vulkan instead of DirectX 12.

Now they only need to release a new game to go with it after they've ironed out the bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

Steamboxes are just PCs to showcase a sort of open platform concept: the PC + the controller + the customized Linux distro that they call SteamOS or even Windows; people can build their own and install whatever they like, both hardware and software, including a regular Linux distro, so I'm not surprised if they aren't exactly big sellers.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Last time I checked Vulkan is significantly behind compared to DX12 performance and is just on par with DX11.

Dota 2 is also broken with the default DX9 and with DX11 (alt tab bug on NVIDIA GPUs).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Quote:

Why though?

Common misconception, Dota 2 is actually pretty damn CPU intensive, with Directx 9 under my 6700K @ 4.8ghz maximum frame time during big fights can spike to 20ms+, Directx 11 is even worse, hopefully Vulkan will fix this.

·
Debian Dude
2,184 Posts
Quote:

Why though?

If nothing else, it's a good development vehicle for them. Since the game runs on the common Source family engine, this will translate to many of their other existing properties as well as future Source 2 engine based games. It also should tick some of their boxes for good Linux portability.

·
Just Lift Bro
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abctoz View Post

Common misconception, Dota 2 is actually pretty damn CPU intensive, with Directx 9 under my 6700K @ 4.8ghz maximum frame time during big fights can spike to 20ms+, Directx 11 is even worse, hopefully Vulkan will fix this.
I guess you ment FPS?

i read one review and there is a mobile 7970 with a i5 intel 4250 running 1080 at max settings @ 80FPS

so whats up? it just has bad minimum fps or what

sorry i don't play mobas generally only tried dota2 a few times and didn't see anything laggy about.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raclimja View Post

Last time I checked Vulkan is significantly behind compared to DX12 performance and is just on par with DX11.

Dota 2 is also broken with the default DX9 and with DX11 (alt tab bug on NVIDIA GPUs).
Vulkan significantly behind DX12 performance-wise?

Your evidence?

·
Registered
169 Posts
From what I know vulcan is just newer then dx12 so devs have had less tim to optimize for vulcan. At this stage this is a very important factor.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Quote:

I guess you ment FPS?

i read one review and there is a mobile 7970 with a i5 intel 4250 running 1080 at max settings @ 80FPS

so whats up? it just has bad minimum fps or what

sorry i don't play mobas generally only tried dota2 a few times and didn't see anything laggy about.
Here are some key points:

-Similar to counterstrike you need low consistent frame times to react and cast your spells, pro Dota2 players use 144Hz monitors for this reason. As you get better at the game you memorize hero attack and cast animations so you can predict how a fight will play out, seeing more fps makes this process easier and gives you a competitive advantage. It also allows you to have more accurate movement, spell placement, and timing.

-In big fights there are lots of things to draw and using DirectX 9/11 results in spikes in frame times, often this is not tested. You can pull 80fps for most of the game but when a big fight happens you might be dipping to 40fps.

·
AMD fan
1,844 Posts
There's a video on youtube where a lead developer for valve talks about the benefits of vulkan. The interesting part is that vulkan doesn't really improve drawcalls drastically as DOTA doesn't have that problem but it does reduce latency by a huge amount and that is the driving force for them implementing it.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I hope all developers move away from Direct3D and just focus on Vulkan... even for Windows version of games.

But since DX12 was "finished" before Vulkan, the first wave of these titles will be DX12.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post

I really, really hope Valve pushes the hell out of Vulkan.
Implements Vulkan in all their games, push for developers to develop with Vulkan.

Sick of DX12 and by extension Microsoft bullying everyone with their crap.
So Microsoft cannot bully people yet Valve can?
I hope Vulkan takes off but i really don't want Valve to suddenly start pushing developers. Let them use what they want.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assirra View Post

So Microsoft cannot bully people yet Valve can?
I hope Vulkan takes off but i really don't want Valve to suddenly start pushing developers. Let them use what they want.
Pushing something doesn't have to mean forcing devs to use it. Or whatever you mean with bullying.

To answer your question, it's not ok either way, indeed. Glad we talked about it.

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
The more we can do to kill DirectX 12 the better. I have no interest in migrating to Windows 10...

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
I've been away from PCs for about 6 months. Someone remind me what Vulkan is again. Is it like Mantle?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts