Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have read and been told that if you have two identical cards that physX will no work. does anyone have any experince with this and or any facts. i have looked over the nvidia site and have not found any solid facts.

i have two engtx 460's and i have the option in the nvidia control panel to enable one of them to be dedicated to phsyx but have no idea how to test the fact. can someone shed some light into this subject for me and others that might have the issue.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Well... I would say that where you heard it from (Internet or real life) that medium - or person - is wrong...

You can add a second GTX 460 to your current GTX 460, you don't even have to use the same vendor! Which means, eVGA GTX 460 can run SLI with Gigabyte GTX460 or ZOTAC GTX 460 can run SLI with Palit GTX 460

You cannot run SLI with two different GPU's though... Like a GTX 460 would not run in SLI with a GTX 465 or a GTX 470, or even a GTX 560

Hope it shed a light for you

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by subliminally incorrect
View Post

who ever told you that is wrong and deserves to be punched in the balls.

this.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats what i thought because i have these two engtx's and i just purchased another one for a total of three and i was doubting my purchase so for a total purchasing price of 325 for 3 engtx 460's and i am hoping that the next one overclocks as well as the first two. even though overclocking doesn't really apply to phsyx i still want a massive over clocker with the 338 cores.

i am setting up an nvidia 3d vision rig that can carry me some distance with all the recent and upcoming technology upgrades coming around. and i feel that these cards will carry their weight for a little bit of time at least. i just purchased a sweet

http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.a...&ID=865611&P=F

and it will be here in the next week i cant wait to see what all the hype is about. and definately can't' wait for crysis 2 to come out

oh i fully agree and know enough to know better but with all the little quarks that nvidia throws at you when you use thier products i just wanted to make sure since there isn't any documention about it.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhitePrQjser
View Post

Well... I would say that where you heard it from (Internet or real life) that medium - or person - is wrong...

You can add a second GTX 460 to your current GTX 460, you don't even have to use the same vendor! Which means, eVGA GTX 460 can run SLI with Gigabyte GTX460 or ZOTAC GTX 460 can run SLI with Palit GTX 460

You cannot run SLI with two different GPU's though... Like a GTX 460 would not run in SLI with a GTX 465 or a GTX 470, or even a GTX 560

Hope it shed a light for you

having a dedicated physx card is not running sli. you can have a physx card and have sli disabled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sircles
View Post

ou cant tri sli gtx460's though can you?

no you cant. only 465 and up

6,097 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by profit8652
View Post

now for the mother of all questions. sb just came out and i ahve been searching for a new processor....... is there any boards out there that support 3 gpus that are sli ready or will i have i to embark on the touchy task of doing the sli hack?

you only have to do sli hack on amd motherboards. most x58 mobos have sli ready features due to the abundance of pcie lanes

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
It did in fact USED TO BE the case that you couldn't use a THIRD identical card as your physX card, with the other two in SLI. But even that has been remedied as of the 260 series drivers.

This fact was probably the original source for this confusion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts