Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
For a brief instant, it appears, scientists at Brook haven National Laboratory on Long Island recently discovered a law of nature had been broken.

Action still resulted in an equal and opposite reaction, gravity kept the Earth circling the Sun, and conservation of energy remained intact. But for the tiniest fraction of a second at the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC), physicists created a symmetry-breaking bubble of space where parity no longer existed.

Parity was long thought to be a fundamental law of nature. It essentially states that the universe is neither right- nor left-handed â€" that the laws of physics remain unchanged when expressed in inverted coordinates. In the early 1950s it was found that the so-called weak force, which is responsible for nuclear radioactivity, breaks the parity law. However, the strong force, which holds together subatomic particles, was thought to adhere to the law of parity, at least under normal circumstances.

Quote:
Next, the team wants to test the result by running the experiment at lower collision energies to see if the apparent violation disappears when there is not enough energy to create the necessary extreme conditions.

If the effect proves to be real, it could help scientists understand a similar asymmetry that led to one of physics' most fundamental mysteries â€" namely, why the universe is dominated by ordinary matter today when equal amounts of matter and antimatter were created by the Big Bang.
Source

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1ForFrags View Post
Wow. And they want to do it again?

They're called laws for a reason....IF we break them, there will be consequences.

Well, sure, but they want to do it on a smaller scale. If the big version didn't end it all, the little one surely won't either.

·
Let's go Sharks!
565 Posts
So..the universe is left handed? *totally lost*

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Yeah, sure, the next thing they'll want to do is divide by zero.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Oh that is just cool! I miss reading SciAm mag....

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,456 Posts
Well no, you cant break a law of nature or law of physics. You simply just find out that it wasnt a law after all*

·
Just Lift Bro
3,234 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XiDillon
View Post

Well no, you cant break a law of nature or law of physics. You simply just find out that it wasnt a law after all*

Tru dat bro.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XiDillon
View Post

Yeah lol. Weren't these "laws" just made up by someone without an experiment?

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadCatMk2
View Post

Maybe our "laws" are actually wrong. I don't get what all the whining and hypocrisy is all about.

Edit:

Ta-dah! Beat me to it.

You guys are edit: HOPELESS. Seriously. No understanding of the concept, yet a professorial tone. The law is still a law. The law is applying to the present conditions of the universe. They've artificially created the conditions of the big bang, during which, our laws do/did not apply. If you had a clue, you'd have known that already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by no1Joeno1
View Post

Yeah lol. Weren't these "laws" just made up by someone without an experiment?

If this isn't sarcasm... then.... I'm going to have to leave this thread...

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
I swear... This is what the Mayan's were talking about with 2012.... I swear they are going to destroy the world some day with all these crazy experiments.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatethedukes
View Post

You guys are edit: HOPELESS. Seriously. No understanding of the concept, yet a professorial tone. The law is still a law. The law is applying to the present conditions of the universe. They've artificially created the conditions of the big bang, during which, our laws do/did not apply. If you had a clue, you'd have known that already.

Well please do enlighten me. What I've been told is that these laws were written by people who, like me, have a limited amount of understanding what is happening around them.
A "law", to my understanding, is not applying to "the present conditions", but to the conditions we realize and comprehend. When we learn more, we can specifiy the conditions under which a "law" applies.

Quote:

They've artificially created the conditions of the big bang, during which, our laws do/did not apply.

I'm probably not getting the concept of "law", but won't they be rewritten when we find out why they didn't apply then? Laws have conditions under which they apply. If we realize that there's conditions under which they don't, then we can change the law, right?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Quote:

View Post

So there's an experiment of trying to go faster than the speed of light?

·
Registered
572 Posts
i love this stuff and wish i could understand but the moment i start reading stuff about universe the more i read the less it makes sense....

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Quote:

View Post

No, if what you're saying isn't sarcasm, then YOU are hopeless. You clearly have no understanding of the nature of physics. Please, come back when you're less irrational. Learn this: "conditions of the universe" do not, EVER, change laws.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamingoyster
View Post

No, if what you're saying isn't sarcasm, then YOU are hopeless. You clearly have no understanding of the nature of physics. Please, come back when you're less irrational. Learn this: "conditions of the universe" do not, EVER, change laws.

Mmmm, I think you are the one that's lost. The whole point is they're trying to investigate the start of the universe. The universe in which our laws are applicable. Before that point, existence would not.....uh, exist. Or something like that. So why would the laws of our universe apply to the thing before the universe? Or another one for that matter?

They weren't saying that OUR universal laws just changed because some scientists did a crazy experiment. They're saying that since they discovered a condition in which it's not applicable, our understanding of that law was wrong.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts