Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
A group of scientists from the University of Minnesota say that Fe16N2 crystals are more magnetic than the most magnetic material previously known, and its magnetism exceeds the predicted limit of magnetism for a material.

Quote:
If the magnets can be manufactured commercially they could allow computer manufacturers to use smaller write heads that could hold more information. The findings were reported at the American Physical Society’s meeting this month.
Source

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
How many gausses?

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They don't say, but they measured a resonance thingy (magnetics are not my strong point) at the so-far theoretical Fermi level. No joke, even this is a Fermi thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1ForFrags View Post
I think 9/10 news posts are now by MrDeodorant.

I'll stop posting them when people stop reading them.

• Rep+
Reactions: sizeak

·
Banned
3,579 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
How many gausses?
i can totally see this ending VERY badly.

some massive gauss cannon on a tank goes haywire & next thing you know the turret is stuck pointing north & pulling the tank along with it XD

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I'm also curious how this would apply to making electricity.

·
Registered
379 Posts
In its simplest form an electric generator is rolls of copper wire spinning inside magnets. The potency of the magnets, the number of rolls of wire and the speed at which they turn indicate how much electricity is produced. More powerful magnets will lead to more electricity produced.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cronos007 View Post
In its simplest form an electric generator is rolls of copper wire spinning inside magnets. The potency of the magnets, the number of rolls of wire and the speed at which they turn indicate how much electricity is produced. More powerful magnets will lead to more electricity produced.
Yes... but, would it not require equally more force to turn the armature? Negating (most of?) the gain of more powerful magnets.

*This is just an assumption. I know how to wind a motor from RC hobbies, not the calculations behind power generation...*

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suspect the difference in practice would be that you could build a higher-rated generator at a given size. As i_hax pointed out, the amount of work required to produce energy shouldn't really change.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Smaller generators would be capable of producing similar output to currently much larger units. The converse application is also true as we would be able to create smaller electric motors with the same torque as much larger units today.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_hax
View Post

Yes... but, would it not require equally more force to turn the armature? Negating (most of?) the gain of more powerful magnets.

*This is just an assumption. I know how to wind a motor from RC hobbies, not the calculations behind power generation...*

You need energy to create energy. usually you will put more energy into something to create less (there is always a loss) but a different kind. Take a car for example. You use horsepower to turn an alternator which then creates electrical energy. So really you are converting energy. Putting the bigger magnets in that alternator means it will be capable of creating more electrical energy but it will also require more horsepower to turn the strap.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cronos007
View Post

Smaller generators would be capable of producing similar output to currently much larger units. The converse application is also true as we would be able to create smaller electric motors with the same torque as much larger units today.

Makes sense... although I see heat being an issue for some applications. You can only put so much current through windings. Could provide ridiculous amounts of torque, though. You can already get ~1HP out of a brushless motor 1/3 the size of a pop can... These would just be incredible at small scale.

Fuel-powered engines, look out

EDIT: Benladesh, thanks. Thats sorta what I was getting at - you don't get energy from nothing. Performance:size ratio is all that could change.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaos Assasson
View Post

i think the add at the bottom of the page fits this thread well.

Umm, that's called a targeted ad, they're all over the place...

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vicious_fishes
View Post

i can totally see this ending VERY badly.

some massive gauss cannon on a tank goes haywire & next thing you know the turret is stuck pointing north & pulling the tank along with it XD

? gauss is a unit of measurement.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
In related news...

Quote:

A group of scientists from the University of Minnesota say that Fe16N2 crystals are more magnetic than the most magnetic material previously known, and its magnetism exceeds the predicted limit of magnetism for a material.

Journalist constructs the most magnetic sentence ever known.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts