Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Physicists have found that, by removing individual atoms from a graphite surface, they can create local magnetic moments in the graphite. The discovery could lead to techniques to artificially create magnets that are nonmetallic and biocompatible, as well as cheaper and lighter than current magnets.

Quote:
“To create a magnet from a pure carbon system is a tantalizing possibility since this would be a metal-free magnet and thus optimal for applications in biomedicine,†Brihuega said. “In addition, it should be much cheaper to produce than conventional magnets since, to give some numbers, a ton of carbon costs around a thousand times less than a ton of nickel ($16 vs. $16,000), a commonly used material in actual magnets. In the case of graphene systems, one would also have flexibility and lightness as additional advantages; but to date, the total magnetization reported for these systems is very low when compared with the strongest existing magnets.

“In my opinion,†he added, “the brightest future in terms of applications stems in the emerging field of spintronics, i.e. in trying to exploit the 'spin' of the unpaired electron for creating new spin-based devices.â€
This one's for all you graphene fans out there. You know who you are.

Source

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I like turtles

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to say that turtles are heroes in a half-shell, but then I thought heroes in a half-life, and now I think Episode 3 should involve the Ninja Turtles.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
...lmao xD

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly, I think that would be worth the wait.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts