Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
On Wednesday, Jan. 18, astronomers, physicists and scientists from related fields will convene in Tucson, Ariz. from across the world to discuss an endeavor that only a few years ago would have been regarded as nothing less than outrageous. The conference is organized by Dimitrios Psaltis, an associate professor of astrophysics at the University of Arizona's Steward Observatory, and Daniel Marrone, an assistant professor of astronomy at Steward Observatory.
Source

·
Registered
71 Posts
Huh very interesting, so they are going to use the plasma jets generated by the black hole and radio telescopes all over the earth to look at a black hole. I would a better picture of the actual black hole would be to have some way to look at the hawking radiation, if it exists, expelled from the black hole over it's slow decay, and use that to build an image. I really have no idea what I'm talking about...

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
How come this was not possible before? Hard drives have been around for at least 5 years with modern capacities.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGX1016 View Post

How come this was not possible before? Hard drives have been around for at least 5 years with modern capacities.
I don't think its that it wasn't possible, it just hadn't been done yet. They have to coordinate organizations around the world, that in itself is not easy.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Awesome, can't wait to see what kinds of pics are taken.
But correct me if I'm wrong but they are observing the debris going in instead of the actual black hole because that's not possible right?

·
Gamer
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post

Awesome. Can't wait for the pictures.
What he said
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
^ a floppy disk could hold that

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
They are basically taking pictures around the black hole so they can identify the shape of it. Impressive? Of course. Truly ground breaking? Not really. If they disprove Einstien's theory of relativity here, then that will be truly ground breaking. I bet $100 that they don't, but to plant a doubt that it could be possible, the Earth doesn't have a truly spherical shape.

·
486DX2 66
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodhanth View Post

Awesome, can't wait to see what kinds of pics are taken.
But correct me if I'm wrong but they are observing the debris going in instead of the actual black hole because that's not possible right?
The gravity in a black hole is so intense that no light can escape or pass through it (hence taking a picture would just get you a ..black hole..

They believe that radiation is emitted from the intense heat created by the compression of the gasses condensing while they get sucked into the hole (which causes them to glow). So they can get a picture of the area surrounding the black hole up to the event horizon - The point of no return where nothing can escape including light.. so you would get the outline of the black hole in your image.

·
Master Of Reality
965 Posts
I'm sure they're more interested in seeing material falling into the event horizon than seeing the actual black hole itself.

·
Registered
719 Posts
umadbro? you cant see a black hole. what you can 'see' is matter reflecting light and then nothing in between

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothen View Post

They are basically taking pictures around the black hole so they can identify the shape of it. Impressive? Of course. Truly ground breaking? Not really. If they disprove Einstien's theory of relativity here, then that will be truly ground breaking. I bet $100 that they don't, but to plant a doubt that it could be possible, the Earth doesn't have a truly spherical shape.
i bet u $100 that they do

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunechi View Post

If you look closely, Lebron is traveling in the image.

Had to say it.
Your username is Lil Wayne's nickname
You are probably an avid basketball fan with evidence pointing to your comment about LBJ even though DWade and Howard are better ball handlers
and you have a picture of tyler the creator as an avatar...

If i didn't know better, you are a teenager...living in the US somewhere :O

On Topic: This is groundbreaking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts