Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:


Skinput is a collaboration between Chris Harrison at Carnegie Mellon University and Dan Morris and Desney Tan at Microsoft's research lab in Redmond, Washington. The researchers have shown that Skinput can allow users to simply tap their skin in order to control audio devices, play games, make phone calls, and navigate hierarchical browsing systems.




Source
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Hot damn, that is incredibly cool!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
Really really nice, if the interface is fast enough this could also lead to the user using his memory muscle to access any given area of menus by second nature (similar to how we can pull off combos in fighting games with no real effort), and that would be awesome!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,369 Posts
How well will this work on darker skinned people? (Serious question)

Edit: I understand the concept behind the skin touch, I'm talking about the projected images.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,102 Posts
Me want!!! I'm totally into cyberpunk stuff and that would certainly add to me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tainok View Post
How well will this work on darker skinned people? (Serious question)
Skin tone does not matter for this to work. It works with the acoustic signal that are emitted when you tap on the skin.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,369 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by echohunter View Post
Skin tone does not matter for this to work. It works with the acoustic signal that are emitted when you tap on the skin.
No, I'm talking about the projection. Ever try pointing a projector at a very dark colored surface instead of a light one?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,037 Posts
So, the guys yelling at nothing are either crazy or on Bluetooth headsets. Now the guys who can't keep their hands off themselves are either jerking off or texting... or sexting and jerking off. That means the guys groping themselves and yelling are either really crazy, or multitasking geniuses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,473 Posts
That is so badass, its like a Pip boy come Omni Tool

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant View Post
So, the guys yelling at nothing are either crazy or on Bluetooth headsets. Now the guys who can't keep their hands off themselves are either jerking off or texting... or sexting and jerking off. That means the guys groping themselves and yelling are either really crazy, or multitasking geniuses.
hahahaha, sigged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Tainok
View Post

How well will this work on darker skinned people? (Serious question)

The controls would work the same seeing as the device detects the tapping sounds from the vibrations in your body. The projection won't work as well for obvious reasons.

It's interesting but that's all, i would hate to use this.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:


Originally Posted by Oiram
View Post

The controls would work the same seeing as the device detects the tapping sounds from the vibrations in your body. The projection won't work as well for obvious reasons.

It's interesting but that's all, i would hate to use this.

I dunno, I think it's great for things like MP3 player control like they have in the video (assuming they can shrink it of course). Touch your pointer finger to skip back, ring finger to skip forward, and middle finger to play
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top