Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had many different cases and used almost a new once each time for each build I do for me or someone else.

I like the cases that are quiet in terms of noise, makes it seem like better quality but I don't want to spend a fortune. I have always had colored or black cases. I think I want a white one this time so that dust doesn't show up as much. Doesn't have to be black as in terms of the CM, but it is preferred. I think this will be a single GPU build, likely a Radeon 7900 series.

Choice one : NZXT Technologies H2 Classic Silent Midtower

Choice two : Fractal Design Define R4 (windowed) without window is $7 difference.

Choice three : Cooler Master 690 II Advanced

I would be open to a better suggestion if there is such a thing for this price range. Thanks for input!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Out of those three I personally would get the R4. I actually just ordered one today
tongue.gif
I went with it because of its sleek look, and I really like the flexibility of the removable drive bays over the H2, which I also considered. The sound dampening foam is also a big plus.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The H2 and R4 both have that foam. Although it was noted in the H2 when the door is closed it may limit a lot of air flow to front fans? Does the R4 seem to have that issue?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'm guessing it does a little but I'm not sure how significant it is. I could probably shed a bit more light when mine arrives Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Just got it and installed components today. I was hoping it would be good and I am happy to say I LOVE IT! The build quality is superb, there is tons of space, and the noise dampening foam is awesome. I especially love how I was able to move the little HDD bay in front of my PSU to really open up the airflow and hide the cables coming out of my PSU
biggrin.gif

Needless to say, I'm in love haha. Best case I've ever built with. Simplistic yet super practical.

Here's some pictures of the build.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before your response I went ahead and ordered the R4 White with Window (didn't care for the fan grate in the non-windowed mode. (prefer it be a clean piece of metal).

You moved your HDD rack forward...different design. Did you not have any HDD, only SSD?

·
Premium Member
27,410 Posts
R4 are very good but I suggest you upgrade the front intake fans. The stock fans just can't pull enough air through the filter, grill, vent and than push it past the HDD cage. I also suggest using PWM fans and controlling them with PWM signal from motherboard CPU fan header. This way they change rpm same as cooler fan/s... idle when thing are cool and move more air when things get hotter.
wink.gif

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post

Before your response I went ahead and ordered the R4 White with Window (didn't care for the fan grate in the non-windowed mode. (prefer it be a clean piece of metal).

You moved your HDD rack forward...different design. Did you not have any HDD, only SSD?
I mounted two SSDs behind the motherboard and I have one hard drive in the cage.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool. I'll probably have one HDD and one SSD in the same type of setup.

I may replace one or both of the front fans with PWM Noctuas, I figure with the size of the case the stock fans would be okay, suppose not if I want to keep the front door closed.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by estabya View Post

Out of those three I personally would get the R4. I actually just ordered one today
tongue.gif
I went with it because of its sleek look, and I really like the flexibility of the removable drive bays over the H2, which I also considered. The sound dampening foam is also a big plus.
Hey i ordered a R4 today too lol

·
Premium Member
27,410 Posts
Mount your HDD & SSD in/under your 5.25 bays and remove both HDD cage sections.
wink.gif

I've found by raising the case an additional 20mm the bottom intake fan and PSU fan are quieter and move more air. I use casters to raise case as case sets on floor.

Use static pressure / cooler fans as they will flow more air through the filter/grill than normal case fans... Remember static pressure spec is the pressure/resistance point when air stops moving... and CFM is how much air the fan moves with no resistance... like setting on center of empty desk. Neither is any good in real life... we need fans with nice airflow at reasonable resistance.
wink.gif

If you want info on PWM control for case fans let me know.
thumb.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts