Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i wanna give my 8800gt a little clean using AS5 but i wanna know the steps to taking apart my 8800gt along with pics
a link here on OCN would be nice

its my first time im gonna take it apart so i dont wanna damage the thermal pads and stuff

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
You wont mess it up. Just remove all the screws on the back and lift careful though. Clean all the past off and then wipe the GPU with past remover or whatever you choose. Then repast a little dab in the middle and put it back on screw it down your done

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
It's really not that hard. Here is what I would do.

Find an open area to work so that if you drop a screw, you can find it.

Get a glass jar or mug to keep screws in.

Get a regular-sized philips screwdriver, and a jewelers size screwdriver (if possible).

Just take all the screw off of the cooler. When they are all out, separate the cooler from the card (just pull it straight off).

That is all there is to it.

• Rep+
Reactions: adventfred

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thnks but any pics guys also do have have to place the AS% as just a drop or all over the core chip

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by adventfred
View Post

thnks but any pics guys also do have have to place the AS% as just a drop or all over the core chip

Honestly you need about the size of a grain of rice in the middle you dont honestly have to spread it/ Once you put the as5 drop in the middle and put the HS back on it will spread it on its own "_"

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by That_guy3
View Post

Honestly you need about the size of a grain of rice in the middle you dont honestly have to spread it/ Once you put the as5 drop in the middle and put the HS back on it will spread it on its own "_"

Don't even need that much, really. And with GPUs, you are supposed to spread it yourself because it is an exposed die.

• Rep+
Reactions: That_guy3

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by corky dorkelson
View Post

Don't even need that much, really. And with GPUs, you are supposed to spread it yourself because it is an exposed die.

so spead it with like a qtip

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by corky dorkelson
View Post

Oh. Well i usually do. I just figured it was the same way as a cpu

+1 for letting me know

Quote:

Originally Posted by adventfred
View Post

so spead it with like a qtip

Use an old credit card or even your finger. make sure you wash your hand before touching the card though so you dont get it on anything because its highly conductive

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by That_guy3
View Post

Oh. Well i usually do. I just figured it was the same way as a cpu

+1 for letting me know

Yup. With an exposed die you are supposed to spread it yourself because a bare spot on the die will cause "hot spots" which can wreak havok. But with chips with IHS (like the 775) it is not as important because the IHS spreads the heat out a bit.

Honestly though, lots of people just do the glob method and have no problems. But the rules have always been to make sure you get at least SOME paste on every single bit of an exposed die.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I just did it recently, but I didn't take any pics. I am really considering doing it again here today since my temps aren't all that great. I think I'm gonna try and spread the AS5 instead of using the dab in the center idea, cause my idle temps went up. =(. I'll come back today and post some pics.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by heathmcabee
View Post

I just did it recently, but I didn't take any pics. I am really considering doing it again here today since my temps aren't all that great. I think I'm gonna try and spread the AS5 instead of using the dab in the center idea, cause my idle temps went up. =(. I'll come back today and post some pics.

no problem man im waiting

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
I wrote a guide on how to do it to a 9800GTX. It's in my sig.

And I wouldn't use a Q-tip for spreading it. Use a thin plastic card, credit card or thinner if you have it. The cotton fibers might come off of the Q-tip, causing interference with your TIM.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demented
View Post

I wrote a guide on how to do it to a 9800GTX. It's in my sig.

And I wouldn't use a Q-tip for spreading it. Use a thin plastic card, credit card or thinner if you have it. The cotton fibers might come off of the Q-tip, causing interference with your TIM.

ok im waitin for the pics but thnks

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm just ripped my rig apart to do this on both of my 8800 ULTRAS and the NB/SB, etc (basically everywhere there is TIM or adhesive). I am using that new diamond based stuff (saw it on overclock.net, but forget the exact thread now) sicne it supposedly dropped most peoples temps a few degrees. Trying to document most of it.

OP: Let me know how yours goes... (The IC7 reccomends the "dab" method of application. I wanna see how your #'s change when you do it the "spread" way...)

IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound

·
Registered
829 Posts
Here I tore apart my 9600 GSO. Probably the same thing as your 8800GT besides its a dual slot. Big pics in the spoiler, no idea why they are blurry... it was on macro mode. Maybe the ISO was too high.

I highlighted the screws, there are springs on them so be careful when removing them.

Then you will want to remove this small screw in the back of the card.

Separate the heatsink from the GPU. It might be tough because of the crappy thermal paste they use. Then unplug the fan.

My old AS5 application (ewww)

On da heatsink

Get a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol (I used my sisters nail polish remover because I used up the rest of ours
) and get to cleaning!

Put a rice grain size of AS5 on your GPU die

Get a plastic sandwich bag and put your finger in it like this

And even out the AS5 until it looks like this (pro tip, don't your finger off the die until you got it spread evenly. Then drag your finger off the die and it will keep the AS5 from blotching up.

When you reapply the heatsink line it up perfectly before you put it on, because once its touching the die you CAN NOT remove the heatsink from the die. Don't move it around a lot either.

When you got the heatsink in line always keep pressure on the card, then tighten the screws like you would when you tighten the lug nuts on a car wheel:

Enjoy.

The old application of AS5 was the "Dab" method. I am going to see how the spread method works.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Also you need to clean up that extra paste. Not good for the surrounding resisters e_e;

·
Registered
101 Posts
question for you guys... I have been cleaning out my ULTRA's in an attempt to get the temps down with the stock HSF, but putting it together (w/o using the thermal pads that were stock), i dont think that the HS and chips are close enough... I'm willing to try these as is, but rather be safe than sorry (and they're RFB, so dont wanna jynx it).

Full photo set for the redo so far

Zoom of a ram chip

Another Chip

EDIT: If the gap is good, then ill redo with more paste...

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
If you are using the stock cooler, you MUST have thermal pads in place wherever they were originally called for. The gap is too large for thermal paste to cover. And at that thickness it will start to act as an insulator (not good).

So remember, kids "Even if the cooling is bad, use the thermal pads!!!"

Corny.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts