Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today will be the day I will always remember as the day I got my very own Stinger waterblock. As many of you know, some from first hand experience, these blocks are of the finest quality and result in performance superior to anything you can find retail. Our very own Mr. Fred Stinger (fstfrddy) makes them exclusively for our members in his spare time. Let me tell you a little about the one that I received today.

The first thing I noticed about the package was how extremely nice it was. Outside of the box was paper wrapping to keep everything neat. My address was in a large printout taped on and Fred's was a professional looking custom sticker with his name and address. There was also a nicely sized "Stinger Waterblocks" label on the front (which I will attach to my new case somehow for sure). Overall, the presentation was very well done. I could tell just by the packaging that Fred really puts a lot of effort into each block.

When I opened it up, I was blown away by the quality of his product! The block had two mounting brackets, one for AM2 and one for everything else. They were both cut so perfectly that they looked machine made. The block itself was even better than I expected (and I had high expectations). Since the bottom surface is smooth and you don't want to get it scratched, he put a piece of tape there to protect it. This may sound stupid, but that tape was impressive. It ran down a tiny bit on one side, ran perfectly straight along the bottom, and came up the exact same tiny amount on the other side. It was the most astounding tape job of all time, hands down.

Another little thing that caught my attention was the cleanliness of all the parts. The acrylic mounts were fingerprint free, as was the block, which shone brightly in the light. Fred really upped the "wow" factor by having me open up the box to see a beautiful handmade block, all polished and ready to go.

The last thing, but certainly not of least importance, was the inclusion of all the small parts needed to attach the block. He packed in four mounting bolts along with all of the accessories they need, such as wing nuts. Also, he provided written instructions along with a diagram to show me exactly how to mount it.

Mr. Stinger, thank you for the amount of time and effort you put into making this block for me. I can hardly imagine making something of such high quality and then parting with it for such a comparatively small sum of money. You are truly an asset to this community, and I don't say that out of politeness, I really mean it. If you even need a favor from me, I will be more than happy to help if you just ask. Also, if you would like to include any of this in your testimonials page, you can quote me as Evan Sullivan. Thanks again Fred!

Here are the pictures I promised you guys:

The awesome tape job:

The "Stinger Waterblocks" sticker:

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
I can't wait till I get mine in the next week!

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Yeah fstfrddy puts some sweat and love in his work and it shows...Nice work....
....EDIT: For the guy above look here...Stinger WB

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Awesome...but how dare you post a thread where I wanted to see pics, and there are no pics...BAh....

j/k

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will borrow my dads camera and take pictures tonight. I need it for something else anyway, so I may as well just do both while I have it.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
LOL, I got mine in about 2 weeks ago and it's been sitting on my desk waiting for me to have some free time..... that's not going to happen.

but what Evan says is absolutely true. The block is the work of an amazing craftsman! I am impressed just by the work put into it. Now i just have to install it.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Well, since he forgot his pics, I'll post mine of my famous Stinger V6. I must brag a little and let you guys know, mine was the first to come signed by fstfrddy. Stingers will be on all my future builds for sure. And now girls jump...oh wait wrong show...and now, my Stinger.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
It's an Hp R707 photosmart, nice eye.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aqualan View Post
It's an Hp R707 photosmart, nice eye.
lol, only because I have one sitting right in front of me, and I remember a sticker like that on it when I got it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay guys, don't kill me, I didn't forget the pictures. In fact, I took very nice pictures. (even of the tape!) Unfortunately, I did not get the docking station when I picked up my dad's camera, so I cannot transfer them to my computer yet. He will stop by tomorrow morning and bring the docking station with him, so I can definitely post them tomorrow night. I get home from school at 3:30 and then work 4:00-7:00 (yeah, short Friday shift) so I can post them after 7:00 some time. I know I'm torturing you all, but they will be worth it! I will make sure they come out nicely. Sorry for the delay, they will be edited into the first post tomorrow night.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sladesurfer
View Post

How good is the stinger block compare to a storm or apogee??? Can someone do a test on the stinger block. I know the storm is much better when the cpu is bare.

Here is the test on Storm Vs. Apogee
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=124761

It seems that real world head to head test put the Stinger ahead the Apogee by quite a few degrees. (no links tonight)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On Fred's testemonials page, someone said they got 6C better than they did on the Apogee. I don't know about the storm, but the storm is not 6C better than the Apogee, is it?

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muftobration
View Post

On Fred's testemonials page, someone said they got 6C better than they did on the Apogee. I don't know about the storm, but the storm is not 6C better than the Apogee, is it?

No, especially not on CPUs with their IHS intact. Stingers are the best-performing waterblock I've ever come across.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts