Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ppl, is my 1st post here and sorry that is another PII overclock post, ive been reading the main PII Overclock post but didnt help me.

I've been running my PII 3.6 for over 8 months but i wont give up till i get 3.8 ... im on AIR using AS5 + AC Freezer PRO 64, i tried way up to 1.5v and i cant get ot stable at 3.8 so any magic numbers will be welcome.

this is what is set to run at 3.6 stable.

CPU RATIO 18
FSB 200
PCIE 100
DRAM 1600
CPU/NB 2400
HTLINK 2000
CPU VOLTAGE 1.4250
CPU/NB VOLTAGE 1.2750
CPU VDDA VOLTAGE 2.70
DRAM 1.90 (DEFAULT)
HT VOLATGE 1.20
NB VOLTAGE 1.20
NB 1.8V VOLATGE 1.80
SB VOLTAGE 1.20

thanx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
That is about max for the chip. I would raise the FSB if your Mobo and Ram can take it. You get better performance than just changing the multi.
My chip wont go over 3.8 for very long and I keep at 3.7 most of the time.

I would suggest taking down the voltage a little as Phenoms run well on low volts. Also what temps are you hitting? Better cooling could help.
I don't think you will get a lot more though.
Best of luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by laurie
View Post

That is about max for the chip. I would raise the FSB if your Mobo and Ram can take it. You get better performance than just changing the multi.
My chip wont go over 3.8 for very long and I keep at 3.7 most of the time.

I would suggest taking down the voltage a little as Phenoms run well on low volts. Also what temps are you hitting? Better cooling could help.
I don't think you will get a lot more though.
Best of luck.


than for the replie Laurie ... raise the FSB i already tried and its a patience game, remind me the AMD XP time ... im getting 60 Celcius in full load, but im in Rio de janeiro buddy .... 35 Celcius at night
my Phenom will get use to it ... i know that im almost hitting tha max temp, but 8 months without one single BSOD... but i can try to play with fsb ... i will try and post here.. im just not so sure about the Voltage of the NB and SB !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im now trying 247 * 15 = 3705 with 1.45 v ... and crashed after second test on intel burn test ... i noticed a vdrop from 1.45 to 1.41 as the 4 cores full load ... the VDDA is 2.7, should i try the max 2.8?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
247 is very high for your FSB. It would be a lot happier around 20. You need to adjust the FSB as well as the multi. Try my settings of 218. 17 and 1.42. You might need slightly more volts. 60 is pretty hot for this chip. I think (not 100%) it shuts off at 65.
A better cooler could help you a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by laurie
View Post

247 is very high for your FSB. It would be a lot happier around 20. You need to adjust the FSB as well as the multi. Try my settings of 218. 17 and 1.42. You might need slightly more volts. 60 is pretty hot for this chip. I think (not 100%) it shuts off at 65.
A better cooler could help you a lot.

yeah i know ... im planning a corsair H50 but i need to replace my case b4 ! .... im stable right now with 15 x 240 @ 1.4250 ... full load 58 c .... you know Rio is so Hot that probably even the H50 will give me 55 maybe. i think that 3.6 is the wall of my chip!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
Its possible. They are all different.
The Phenoms do like the cold and of course clock up better because of it.
I think you have done well to get it so high with such temps.
I'm in England so its about 5c outside at the moment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by laurie
View Post

Its possible. They are all different.
The Phenoms do like the cold and of course clock up better because of it.
I think you have done well to get it so high with such temps.
I'm in England so its about 5c outside at the moment.

haha no wonder you guys can overclock better
yesterday, i was getting my car to leave my job, the termometer inside was 44 C as the car was in the sun all day
... AMD says 62 max temp, but probably does have a lil more room. I will test for a week with 240 fsb x 15 ... to check the performance, i just wonder why i need 1.4250 to hit 3.6 while your and a bunch of ppl usually set 1.4 to 3.7 and up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by laurie View Post
That is about max for the chip. I would raise the FSB if your Mobo and Ram can take it. You get better performance than just changing the multi.
My chip wont go over 3.8 for very long and I keep at 3.7 most of the time.

I would suggest taking down the voltage a little as Phenoms run well on low volts. Also what temps are you hitting? Better cooling could help.
I don't think you will get a lot more though.
Best of luck.

You are joking right? 3.8ghz the max for the 955? You must not read any posts in the amd cpu section, as there are a lot of us ocing to over 4.0ghz on air with ease.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
OP try leaving the fsb at 200 and putting the multiplier at 20. Raise the voltage to 1.48 - 1.5. If you are ocing the NB u might want to bump its voltage up a bit.

Also make sure your ram is set to the right voltage as a lot of mobos default ram voltage settings are different than the rams manufacturers recommended settings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifth View Post
You are joking right? 3.8ghz the max for the 955? You must not read any posts in the amd cpu section, as there are a lot of us ocing to over 4.0ghz on air with ease.
What stepping do you have? Please don't assume I don't know what I'm talking about. The C2 stepping does not overclock nearly as well as the C3.
Also your advice to simply change the multi and not OC the FSB and ram is flawed. More performance can be gained through overclocking the whole system rather than just the CPU.
I don't think you need to be so rude.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
973 Posts
set ram to 1333, nb at 2600 with 1.35 cpu/nb.

htlink @ 1800
cpu @ 1.475v

try tunning at 3.7 just using the multi. if thats stable then increase the fsb to get 3.8
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
435 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by laurie View Post
What stepping do you have? Please don't assume I don't know what I'm talking about. The C2 stepping does not overclock nearly as well as the C3.
Also your advice to simply change the multi and not OC the FSB and ram is flawed. More performance can be gained through overclocking the whole system rather than just the CPU.
I don't think you need to be so rude.
They are called revisions......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by laurie View Post
What stepping do you have? Please don't assume I don't know what I'm talking about. The C2 stepping does not overclock nearly as well as the C3.
Also your advice to simply change the multi and not OC the FSB and ram is flawed. More performance can be gained through overclocking the whole system rather than just the CPU.
I don't think you need to be so rude.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about...I've seen just as many c2's over clock to 4.0 as c3's.

But yes, mine is a c3. And upping the multi is the best option for the op as he seems a bit new to ocing period. Overclocking the fsb takes to a bit more practice to perfect, though both will give you close to the same results because on a black edition u can raise the multis on not only the cpu but NB and HT as well.

You might want to know what you are talking about before trying to act like I don't!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
973 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Fifth
View Post

You obviously don't know what you are talking about...I've seen just as many c2's over clock to 4.0 as c3's.

not as many stable
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifth View Post
You obviously don't know what you are talking about...I've seen just as many c2's over clock to 4.0 as c3's.

But yes, mine is a c3. And upping the multi is the best option for the op as he seems a bit new to ocing period. Overclocking the fsb takes to a bit more practice to perfect, though both will give you close to the same results because on a black edition u can raise the multis on not only the cpu but NB and HT as well.

You might want to know what you are talking about before trying to act like I don't!
I asked you not to be rude so in reply you are rude and obnoxious again.
Classy.
Enjoy being you.
 

·
more chroma!
Joined
·
3,565 Posts
Back to the OP...

I have the same chip and I'm able to do 3.8GHz @ 1.435v - I'll get you settings for this later on. However I'm able to hit 3.7GHz @ 1.40v and this is how I prefer to run it as the temps are much more to my liking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
Quite right.
Mine will hit 3.7 on stock voltage but wont stay stable over 3.8.
Every chip is different though and if you are lucky you will see higher.
For what reason did you want to overclock? Depending on what you use your PC for there are different ways to go about it to boost different areas of performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bringonblink View Post
not as many stable
I have yet to count how many stable c2's or c3's there are on the few forums I use, but I guess i would agree, the c3 is better at ocing. Though it really depends on the chip u get, I've seen some c2's clock higher than c3's. All about luck of the draw when it comes to processors and ocing.

@ lauire, nothing i said was rude or obnoxious, sorry if I made you feel bad...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Ok I have the 955 C2 and also the same cooler AC freezer 64 pro, only because it was left over from my last build. Its not the greatest cooler even after lapping it. I require a CPUVID of 1.44 to reach 3.7ghz 200x18.5 with idle temp of 33C, load temps 57C, idle case temp 28C, room temp 20C. Even at idle it fluctuates up to 37C for no reason it seems. So a mediocre cooler for quadcores.

But I would agree with dropping the ram to 1333 and up CPUNB to 2.6ghz , I use CPUNBVID of 1.35 for that. Its a decent OC and would probably go higher with a better cooler specially in your heat!
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top