Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, first off, sorry but I'm a bit of a networking noob, so you guys might have to put up with some stupidity here.

For the past year, my ping has been great. I game regularly with a group of friends and I usually have the best ping (~50) of the group.

Yesterday, however, I started a game of L4D. It went fine, but halfway through the game my ping suddenly shot up to 500 and stayed there. I thought maybe it was a glitch or something, but today (after a system restart and modem reboot), the high ping persists. I now get 500+ ping regularly, and I've absolutely no idea why.

I've done a virus scan, turn off all non-essential programs while playing, and my ping is still unbearably high. I've even checked my router to make sure no one is leeching my internet, and my desktop is the only device connected. Even my iPod Touch is turned off.

Does anyone have any idea why my ping would just suddenly jump up after being stable for so long?

Also, on a side note, I get 200-250 ping on pingtest.net (0% packet loss, 36ms jitter) and 7.8ms jitter and 0% packet loss on myspeed.visualware.com.

·
Registered
122 Posts
hmm.. That happens to me sometimes too.. what i do to solve this normally, is just completely reset my router, using the little button in the back. Then i try again. Usually, my ping stays pretty even. Thats just a quick fix, or sometimes, its just networking problems. Don't know there is that much you can do about that. :S

·
Premium Member
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemonade
View Post

hmm.. That happens to me sometimes too.. what i do to solve this normally, is just completely reset my router, using the little button in the back. Then i try again. Usually, my ping stays pretty even. Thats just a quick fix, or sometimes, its just networking problems. Don't know there is that much you can do about that. :S

Well, like the OP said, I've done both that and power cycling on the modem and my router and the issue still isn't fixed, unfortunately.

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,586 Posts
Im not a huge networker but I know a decent amount about micro(Small-Med Buisness) level networking.
My bet would be your ISP is doing maintenance or updating a component or something like that and are re-routing your connection to a different gateway which is, in turn, increasing your ping.
If its not better in a few days call your ISP and tell them that your Ping is way high. They can usually fix it on their end.

• Rep+
Reactions: r31ncarnat3d

·
Premium Member
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilWrir
View Post

Im not a huge networker but I know a decent amount about micro(Small-Med Buisness) level networking.
My bet would be your ISP is doing maintenance or updating a component or something like that and are re-routing your connection to a different gateway which is, in turn, increasing your ping.
If its not better in a few days call your ISP and tell them that your Ping is way high. They can usually fix it on their end.

Thanks, I didn't think of that. I'll shoot them a call tomorrow to see what's up. Thanks

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,586 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by r31ncarnat3d
View Post

Thanks, I didn't think of that. I'll shoot them a call tomorrow to see what's up. Thanks

No problem. I did a ton of VoIP work for a while. QoS and Ping are huge in that. I learned more about networking in one week than I thought I would learn in years. If they cant do anything about it I have a few other ideas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.