Overclock.net banner

Pioneer VSX-521 and Edifier R2750DB

2882 Views 5 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  T.Sharp
Hi everyone,

I plan to purchase a pair of Edifier R2750DB active speakers for my TV setup. At the moment I use a Pioneer VSX-521 with a bunch of passive speakers + sub.

Can I still use the VSX-521 with my active speakers? how would I go about connecting them together?

I've copied the IO below.

I was hoping to keep the Pioneer Receiver because of all the HDMI inputs (I use more than a few devices like a PC, 3x game consoles and a blu ray player). I would then sell off the passive speakers but keep the sub for a 2.1 setup.

OR

Is the better option to connect the Edifier active speakers directly to my TV and purchase a HDMI switch for the input selection (sadly my TV only has 4 hdmi inputs).

OR

Is there a better receiver I can purchase that will work well with my Edifier speakers and spare subwoofer.

I stopped caring about surround sound and just want good quality 2.0 or 2.1 mix with the benefit of large amount of hdmi input connectivity. Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way though and don't really need an AV receiver.

Thanks!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
884 Posts
Looks like it has RCA outputs that could be used.

Ever considered the JBL 305 powered monitors? Only a 5" driver but they have impressive low end. JBL has the advantage of the worlds best R&D and they know how to make a seriously good speaker, even at $150 a pop.

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply T.Sharp.

I had a look at the JBL 305 but they cost roughly 2x the amount as the Edifier R2750DB which is a bit too much when I consider there are diminishing returns.

Anyway ... I ended up purchasing the speakers to test if I can indeed connect them to the VSX-521 and unfortunately I cannot. The only Pre-Outs are for Front Height Speakers or Back Surround as part of a surround setup. Short story there is no possible way for my to pre-out stereo with that AV receiver.

I'm considering selling the AV receiver and passive speaker set as I tested the Edifiers using bluetooth and they were much better (less muddy).

So now I have two options, I connect the speakers to my TV and get a HDMI switch OR I purchase an AV receiver with stereo pre out.

Any recommendations out there?

· Registered
884 Posts
So the DVR out and CD-R/Tape out don't work either? That's a bummer.

I was thinking the Edifiers were ~$250 and the JBL's ~$300 for a set, but I digress.

I don't keep up with consumer AV gear so I don't have any recommendations off the top of my head. Audio Science Review has measured some AV receivers though, they are almost always mediocre at best. I'd probably choose an HDMI switch if the only use of a receiver would be as a switch and pre-out.

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey mate, i ended up going the HDMI switch route, I will deliberate which one in the coming days. I listened some more to the speakers and they were fantastic for the price, already better than my old surround setup and much less foot print and that's without a dedicated external DAC. I just love a good ol 2.0 setup.

I had a random question I was hoping you could answer, it's probably a dumb one - I will have the source items connected to my TV through HDMI (from the switch). I will then run an optical cable (toslink) from the TV to the R2750DB's. I heard stories about some TV's not being able transmit 5.1 audio from its toslink port over optical cable to speakers. That shouldn't matter for me yeh? because I will simply select PCM output for optical and it will be perfect for my use case which is stereo 2.0 setup?

If running it from the TV is good enough for me then I shouldn't worry about getting a HDMI switch with audio out (you have those models with audio being split from the hdmi) like this one for example:

PORTTA HDMI Switch 4x1, 4K 60Hz 4 Ports HDMI Switcher with SPDIF Coaxial 3.5mm Audio Extractor, ARC and IR Remote Control Support HDMI2.0b HDCP2.2 HDR 3D: Amazon.com.au: Electronics

I can just focus on getting a normal switch without the ARC / 5.1 audio extraction?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.