Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so xToaDx and I are planning to get together on April first at his place for a week, and get a DICE machine going, benchmarked, and documented! Neither of us have ever done DICE, so we're hoping to learn and do it right the first time. He's buying DICE stuff, I'm in charge of computer hardware, so I figured I'd pose a question here.

The hardware we are planning that we are fairly firm on so far, are an E8600 CPU, the ASUS Maximus Formula P45 board, an ATi 4870X2, and this RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227184 . I'd like to know your thoughts mainly on the GPU and the RAM. We want to try for an AWESOME score in3Dmark06, and I can't really afford to spend an arseload on hardware I probably won't ever use after this, and will just sell. ToaD said the RAm would be good, and we won't need much for just benchmarking, I wanted to at least make sure that most people on here agree. We will be overclocking the RAM, GPU normally, only the CPU will be on DICE.

So I guess, let me know if you have any suggestions on faster RAM, we are trying to go for the ABSOLUTE FASTEST DDR2 without spending over or close to 100 bucks on it. The hard drive and that stuff will be sorted out later. As I said before, I'm paying for this out of my pocket, and everything but the CPU and motherboard will be new stuff bought SPECIFICALLY for this purpose..I just happened to have the motherboard and CPU before hand.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
23,724 Posts
I wish there were more people in Ottawa on here that were into DICE


I would love to have a DICE meet!

DDR2 RAM is cheap now so you can find good D9's out there for cheap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:


Originally Posted by zomgiwin
View Post

you guys don't happen to be in northern california do you?


Nope, we're going to be in TuscoN, Arizona!!!!

Quote:


Originally Posted by mega_option101
View Post

I wish there were more people in Ottawa on here that were into DICE


I would love to have a DICE meet!

DDR2 RAM is cheap now so you can find good D9's out there for cheap



Yeah, DDR2 RAM is really cheap right now, so the RAM isn't set yet, but it'll most likely be whatever I linked to last night in the thread topic. I'm traveling across the entire country to meet him, it's going to be a lot of fun! I've wanted to go to AZ for a long time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,638 Posts
Get some old Dominator 1066's. Ver 1.x are handpicked D9's, and they OC like mad.
Mine I have had @
1175 stock timings and UNDER stock volts.
1012 3-3-3-8 @ 2.4v
1100 4-4-4-4 @ 2.3v
1262 5-4-4-10 @ 2.45v

I think they may have 1300+ in them with stock timings


Otherwise, those 1150 sticks are pretty good.

And if by some weird chance you can score some crucial Lanfest Edition Tracers, they do 1200 on stock volts


TEAM or Cellshock ram is good too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Inuyasha1771
View Post

Nope, we're going to be in TuscoN, Arizona!!!!

Yeah, DDR2 RAM is really cheap right now, so the RAM isn't set yet, but it'll most likely be whatever I linked to last night in the thread topic. I'm traveling across the entire country to meet him, it's going to be a lot of fun! I've wanted to go to AZ for a long time.


Ooh, that is not very far from me and my other overclocker friend...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,789 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by zomgiwin
View Post

you guys don't happen to be in northern california do you?


I am.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:


Originally Posted by P£P§!
View Post

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820313009

^Try and find some of those bad boys if not some 1066 dominators are beast i ran mine @ 1200 Mhz on air only crapped out when i hit 1300mhz :'(

Yah, I bought some 1066 Dominators
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,052 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mega_option101
View Post

I wish there were more people in Ottawa on here that were into DICE


I would love to have a DICE meet!

DDR2 RAM is cheap now so you can find good D9's out there for cheap


Come pick me up (only 15) and I'll DICE with you


~B~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NEW UPDATE! We'll be experimenting with RAID0, our first setup is going to have 2 7200 RPM AAKS drives in RAID0, then we'll switch it out for 4 new SSDs I just bought with money from a car I sold. 4 120GB OCZ vertex drives! Both will be RAID0'd with my PERC 5/i.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,443 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Inuyasha1771
View Post

NEW UPDATE! We'll be experimenting with RAID0, our first setup is going to have 2 7200 RPM AAKS drives in RAID0, then we'll switch it out for 4 new SSDs I just bought with money from a car I sold. 4 120GB OCZ vertex drives! Both will be RAID0'd with my PERC 5/i.

Woah, it took a car to buy 4 SSD's?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,016 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by DJZeratul
View Post

Woah, it took a car to buy 4 SSD's?

Hahahaha, yeah, pretty much.
 

·
Matisse
Joined
·
3,808 Posts
I'm pretty much doing the same thing with a friend using Phenom II, but I'm all the way in Western Canada.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:


Originally Posted by xToaDx
View Post

Some stuff came today...

NICE! The 4870X2 courtesy of Mmansueto here on OCN! I owe him big thanks for shipping it out early, much appreciation, man! Thanks for getting these photos up, ToaD
I can't wait to be there and get some hands on everything!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,026 Posts
Nice! No problem man. That is what this community is for, helping our fellow overclockers. Good luck on the DICE run. Will the results be posted here, or in another thread?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,016 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Mmansueto
View Post

Nice! No problem man. That is what this community is for, helping our fellow overclockers. Good luck on the DICE run. Will the results be posted here, or in another thread?

I was thinking another thread, or maybe the first post of this thread will be edited.

idk, probably a new, non cluttered thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:


Originally Posted by Mmansueto
View Post

Nice! No problem man. That is what this community is for, helping our fellow overclockers. Good luck on the DICE run. Will the results be posted here, or in another thread?

Yeah, we'll make a new thread depicting our parts all together, our process, results, and maybe a couple funny pictures of things gone wrong ( if anything should go wrong) "Here is ToaD's amputated hand, after he spilled dry ice all over it"
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top