Overclock.net banner

Planned Pure gaming Rig

1739 Views 39 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Fenix_Longbow
Hi guys,

Just posted in the New Member section. Heres what i have planned:

Computer Case: Antec 900 + 1200W Silverstone PSU
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Extreme
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q9650
Storage:SCSI 15k Seagate Cheetah (Strictly for OS)
Western Digital 1TB x2 (Movies + Music and the other for Games)
RAM: Corsair DDR3 PC-12800 1600MHz 4GB possibly 8GB
Graphics: GeForce gtx280
CPU Cooler: Asus Silent Square EVO
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - 7.1 Channel
Optical Drives: 1x Pioneer Blu-Ray writer and 1x Pioneer or Asus DVD Writer
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: Razor death adder

Of course im looking at over-clocking as best i can while keeping it stable 24/7. Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

-Steel
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Gonna be expensive, but looks nice. Might I ask why you went with that OS drive rather than just a veloci raptor.
1. Antec 900 is an awesome case but if you already investing such hardware with Maximus Extreme motherboard, Q9650 I think you should invest in something else for a case.
2. The blu-ray writer works as a dvd writer as well.

And to Big O, the Cheetah runs at 15k RPM which will make the boot time noticeably faster tho I've never looked at any comparison tests so I'm not sure and if he is only using it for OS then the Cheetah with the least space that runs at 15k RPM is cheaper than a VelociRaptor.
The cheetah outperforms the raptor, downside is its gets hotter which is why i have a HDD cooler for it.

OS will be XP 64bit
Quote:

Originally Posted by Votkrath
View Post

1. Antec 900 is an awesome case but if you already investing such hardware with Maximus Extreme motherboard, Q9650 I think you should invest in something else for a case.
2. The blu-ray writer works as a dvd writer as well.

And to Big O, the Cheetah runs at 15k RPM which will make the boot time noticeably faster tho I've never looked at any comparison tests so I'm not sure and if he is only using it for OS then the Cheetah with the least space that runs at 15k RPM is cheaper than a VelociRaptor.

I like having 2 drives so i can play a game at one time which BF2 doesnt really come out of one of them and the other for burning at the same time.

Yes strictly for the OS so it wont be anything larger then a 10gb or something similar

What sorta of case would you reccomend? Is the 1200 any better or is it just an expanded version of the 900?
See less See more
In all honesty dude I'd replace the 280 with a 4870X2 (Not because I like ATi) But its a games machine yeah? Your using an Intel board thats Crossfire ready so your gonna get a mega boost from that kinda thing.

If it was an Nvidia chip then I'd say 280, but with X48 (I take it?) I'd go 4870 - 4870X2 line dude.
Then if you get really bored, you can get 2 X2's and go "wow... overkill"
See less See more
Quote:

I like having 2 drives so i can play a game at one time which BF2 doesn't really come out of one of them and the other for burning at the same time.

Just use no cd cracks man, They arnt illegal and they dont touch your net game ability
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negativity
View Post

Just use no cd cracks man, They arnt illegal and they dont touch your net game ability

CD Cracks are illegal because they edit the code in the .exe file which is not allowed.

Mini images/Full images on the other hand aren't illegal.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negativity
View Post

In all honesty dude I'd replace the 280 with a 4870X2 (Not because I like ATi) But its a games machine yeah? Your using an Intel board thats Crossfire ready so your gonna get a mega boost from that kinda thing.

If it was an Nvidia chip then I'd say 280, but with X48 (I take it?) I'd go 4870 - 4870X2 line dude.
Then if you get really bored, you can get 2 X2's and go "wow... overkill"

Agree with the 4870X2, also look at a better case, maybe even a Lian-Li for this expensive of a build.
Oh, I almost forgot, go with Vista 64bit, it seems to have a lot less issues.
See less See more
The only issue i have vista (had it on my current machine) was that it didnt like any of my attached appliances... scanner, printer, network colour photocopier, NAS for weekly backups using acronis, other PC's round the house. A mess! even with SP1...

THanks for the recommendation for that case looks nice and practical!

But then i suppose if i dont get vista i wont be able to utilise DX10 will i? hmmmmm. I just had my wisdom teeth removed yesty and im not thinking clearly, thanks for pointing that out mate!

The card looks sweet as well!
XP can't use more than 3GB of RAM and since you are going to have 4GB or maybe even 8GB you need Vista. And Windows 7 is to far away and we know too less about it.

And about the case, yes, the 1200 will work better. Firstly it's bigger but it also got better airflow and cable management possibilities. You can also take a look at cases from Thermaltake and CoolerMaster.
I was planning on using the 64-bit XP not 32... so im limited to 8GB by the board alone... But i cant use direct X 10 with XP can i?
Go with vista x64 if you want to be able to use 4gb of ram or have a stable OS, just my 2C
I have never personally had any problems with XP 64 at all... As far as stability is concerned? i have tried vista twice and it has failed miserably on both occasions for what i want it to do.
See less See more
well vista 64 will give you dx10, xp 64 is pretty much dead and there wont be drivers for it for new products, vista 64 has come a long way in the past year, anything that works in xp will work in vista 64 now, driver support is much better too
I suppose if im to fully maximise on the new setup i dont have any choice do i? It just might be time to upgrade the rest of the attached systems... Thats even more money than the computer itself! **GULP**
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenix_Longbow
View Post

OS will be XP 64bit

you're shooting yourself in the foot. May as well get Vista 64 bit. better hardware support and drivers, and becoming more and more mainstream by the day
See less See more
Staying with DX9 is sad with such a system.
Now comes the pain in the arse bit and shopping round for the best deals...
See less See more
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.