Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im planning a new build that i think i will eventually complete sometime in then next couple of mounths for sure by summer so i have a couple questions but it deals mainly with a Power supply issue and i didnt feel like making multiple posts

Basic specs of the build lemme no what i should change trying to keep it under 1200 USD

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor
2x OCZ Premier Series 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500YD 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM <--whats with the OEM?
LITE-ON Black ATAPI/E-IDE 5X DVD-RAM Write DVD Burner With LightScribe

Now i plan to put it all in this case:
Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 for AMD & Intel systems Power Supply - Retail

I was going to buy another power supply but then i say that that one came with one. so my question is will it be enough? and is it good? i got screwed last time with my aspire PSU

I also want a good ATI card PCI express doesnt have to be top of the line just has to be PCI express

any help would be great!

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
I would personally get a better psu. if you don't want to spend a lot of money get a sunbeam nuuo.

that said... if you are planning on building this rig for this summer... just get one of the new socket AMD systems. it will support DDR2. as long as you aren't building it right now... might as well wait.

Also.... unless you are going w/ a x1800 or x1900 series ATI card you are better off with an Nvidia card. The 7800GT outperforms the x1800XL almost always and even outperforms the x1800XT at times. While the x1900XTX is the fastest card you can currently get the 7800GTX 512 can compete with it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont have the money to get the new fangled stuff yet....
unless of course they are going to be cheap. also the 7800 is way outta my range i need something for about 150 give or take 20

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
the best cards for about that price would be probably a x800gto or a 6800GS. I'd personally get the gs... it is about 200 though

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think im gonna get the x800gto seems pretty good overclock it maybe. anyway about these new proccessors? whats the estimated price?

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
if you aren't getting this system for several months why are you even deciding now? by the time you actually buy it there will be new and better products out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts