Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a pretty big case, and want to transition into something smaller, but on my road to downsizing I was wondering if I could get some advice on raddage. I know that the rule of thumb is typically 120mm of rad per block, however, is this really necessary seeing as how TDPs today are so much lower than even two years ago?

I guess my question is could I safely get away with a single 280mm of rad space to cool a 5820k and a single GPU, something along the lines of a 980ti, 10xx, or a new AMD card when they drop, or am I just going looking for trouble?

The rad I was thinking about using is a Hardware Labs 280mm GTX.

Thanks in advance.

·
Watercooled Railgun
4,630 Posts
The extra space given by that rad can compensate a bit, as the "rule of thumb" considers 120mm rads, not 140mm. I'd say as long as you do not go crazy high with OCs, that rad should be enough. Hell, i managed to have a W3530 + GTX 470 on a Swiftech MCR 220 with 2 Gentle Typhoons on Push setup with mild OCs on each.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbomba View Post

The extra space given by that rad can compensate a bit, as the "rule of thumb" considers 120mm rads, not 140mm. I'd say as long as you do not go crazy high with OCs, that rad should be enough. Hell, i managed to have a W3530 + GTX 470 on a Swiftech MCR 220 with 2 Gentle Typhoons on Push setup with mild OCs on each.
I likely won't overclock my GPU, I very rarely do. But I definitely will overclock my CPU.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayan View Post

I've got a pretty big case, and want to transition into something smaller, but on my road to downsizing I was wondering if I could get some advice on raddage. I know that the rule of thumb is typically 120mm of rad per block, however, is this really necessary seeing as how TDPs today are so much lower than even two years ago?

I guess my question is could I safely get away with a single 280mm of rad space to cool a 5820k and a single GPU, something along the lines of a 980ti, 10xx, or a new AMD card when they drop, or am I just going looking for trouble?

The rad I was thinking about using is a Hardware Labs 280mm GTX.

Thanks in advance.
I think you should be ok with that set up. But i would choose the Radiator wisely. The Alphacool I picked up surprised the heck out of me. 280mm XT45 i think. Got that, and 2 dinky little magicool junkers cooling 4 blocks.
http://www.amazon.com/NexXxoS-XT45-Full-Copper-280mm/dp/B007R766WA
May be able to find it cheaper. Double core design seems to do pretty well. I run my fans around 650-900 RPM most of the time. Chip never breaks 54c
GPU stays a chilly 42c under full load.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKreiger View Post

I think you should be ok with that set up. But i would choose the Radiator wisely. The Alphacool I picked up surprised the heck out of me. 280mm XT45 i think. Got that, and 2 dinky little magicool junkers cooling 4 blocks.
http://www.amazon.com/NexXxoS-XT45-Full-Copper-280mm/dp/B007R766WA
May be able to find it cheaper. Double core design seems to do pretty well. I run my fans around 650-900 RPM most of the time. Chip never breaks 54c
GPU stays a chilly 42c under full load.
I already have the rad, in fact I have the same rad, one 280mm and one 360mm. I don't do dual GPUs anymore (went from [email protected] to 295x2 to a single 980ti), so I don't need quite so much, heh. Hence partly why I want to downsize.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:

I already have the rad, in fact I have the same rad, one 280mm and one 360mm. I don't do dual GPUs anymore (went from [email protected] to 295x2 to a single 980ti), so I don't need quite so much, heh. Hence partly why I want to downsize.
Nice. great minds think alike!!!!
I think that should be pretty sufficient . I would be sure to get the biggest reservoir you can fit. that will help with heat soak

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKreiger View Post

Quote:

Nice. great minds think alike!!!!
I think that should be pretty sufficient . I would be sure to get the biggest reservoir you can fit. that will help with heat soak
size of the res has no impact on the cooling performance of the loop. it is for convenience of filling and looks cool.

·
Watercooled Railgun
4,630 Posts
Quote:

I likely won't overclock my GPU, I very rarely do. But I definitely will overclock my CPU.
Still, a 5820k will still not generate thaaat much heat compared to an OC'd 980Ti. Should still be enough for that rad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnad View Post

size of the res has no impact on the cooling performance of the loop. it is for convenience of filling and looks cool.
True that. I even went from single pump and a DangerDen Bay Res, to dual pump and a smaller EK DDC Bay Res, and i saw the same temps.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the info, I appreciate it. Now I just need to find a case
smile.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts