Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some advice here.

Basically I'm looking to get a nice 5.1 (possibly 7.1 if funds are sufficient) setup that I want to be able to use as multi-purpose. I.E. use for surround sound for movies, my PS3 and for parties/get-togethers via streaming music from my home server.

Effectively what I want is to be able to have separate inputs for the TV, PS3, and a connection from my home server running Ampache. I basically have three questions:

1) What would be a good head unit to handle the multiple inputs (TV, PS3, Server). By 'good' I'm referring to sufficient for non-audiophiles but can push decently high quality when needed? Don't need video support, just audio if that'll cut the cost while still providing a decent quality unit.

2)What would be the best way to stream music from ampache to the unit? Roughin' it I could always just run a TOSLINK from my board's optical out to the head unit, but I can't imagine that'd be even remotely close to a good idea.

3)Am I correct in assuming that the setup would be something akin to:

Code:
Code:
                      Server via ???  INput
                                  |
                                  | 
Speakers via ??? OUTput ---   Head Unit  --- TV via HDMI INput
                                  |
                                  |
                PS3 via optical or HDMI INput
/newbie

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Well the audio clock of an hdmi signal is linked to the video clock, so it's technologically impossible for an audio processor to exist without video processing.

Not sure what you mean by "audiophile." If you mean by separates, with a separate amp, processor, and pre-amp, I agree it's a waste. A receiver is good enough to fill that roll.

You need something with at least 4 hdmi inputs...off the top of my head the Yamaha Aventage series would fit your need.

Powering speakers is not anything mystical. A/V receivers are priced by inputs and amplifier power. If you want more power, you need to pay more, it's got nothing to do with audio-philism. If you have a large room and/or a need for high volume, you need receiver with a bigger amp section, and those naturally cost more.

The question is, do you need 3D or not 3D (aka, hdmi 1.3 vs 1.4). HDMI 1.3 receivers are obviously much less expensive. To give you an example of a mid-range receiver, the Denon 3310 is selling for about $630, and the Denon 3311 is selling for $1,200, twice the price nearly.

An example of mid-high end receiver, a non-3D Onkyo 3007 costs $1,200, and a 3D Onkyo 3008 costs $1600.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by astrallite View Post
Well the audio clock of an hdmi signal is linked to the video clock, so it's technologically impossible for an audio processor to exist without video processing.

Not sure what you mean by "audiophile." If you mean by separates, with a separate amp, processor, and pre-amp, I agree it's a waste. A receiver is good enough to fill that roll.

You need something with at least 4 hdmi inputs...off the top of my head the Yamaha Aventage series would fit your need.

Powering speakers is not anything mystical. A/V receivers are priced by inputs and amplifier power. If you want more power, you need to pay more, it's got nothing to do with audio-philism. If you have a large room and/or a need for high volume, you need receiver with a bigger amp section, and those naturally cost more.

The question is, do you need 3D or not 3D (aka, hdmi 1.3 vs 1.4). HDMI 1.3 receivers are obviously much less expensive. To give you an example of a mid-range receiver, the Denon 3310 is selling for about $630, and the Denon 3311 is selling for $1,200, twice the price nearly.

An example of mid-high end receiver, a non-3D Onkyo 3007 costs $1,200, and a 3D Onkyo 3008 costs $1600.
My question is how would 1.3 vs. 1.4 impact this kind of setup? I was under the impression that the only difference between the two was that 1.4 has ethernet support.

Also, as the video stream, I'd like to be able to have it so I can set the speakers to play from the ampache sever while someone plays a PS3 game either without sound or (if possible) sound from the built-in TV speakers. I thought that some receivers were audio only and not both audio/video support only.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Should also be said that although earlier models like the Denon 1910 aren't certified for HDMI 1.4 its not necessarily the case that they won't be compatible. If you want 3D at somepoint then I suggest this is an area you investigate further to really confirm what is and isn't 1.4 compatible.

I'm confused about your comment RE: HDMI 1.4 & Ethernet being related. An AV amp either supports ethernet or not. Newer models that support 1.4 tend to also support Ethernet but not sure if thats what you meant (just interested to know). Ethernet would obviously mean you can take a direct network connection to stream audio from your Server but that wouldn't necessarily give you a nice GUI/front end. Something to consider atleast.

I have a Denon 1910 configured in pretty much the same way you describe in your OP. I don't have any need for 3D nor the desire to switch so I am currently happy. I run a 360, PS3, Gaming Rig (mirrored output so I have a desk position or can view in the living room) which will take any AC3 encoded 5.1 or DTS direct from files, Music (use the rig as the front end via **whispers** iTunes). Occasionally I will watch a Bluray via the PS3, the Denon supports HD Audio and it ****ing roars !!!! Its not just balls out loudness, its the clarity of the mix. Watch Master and Commander the other day with the projector screen down. You can literally hear cannon balls flying from one end of the room to the other and splintering wood which lands on the deck around you. Love it !

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillskill View Post
Should also be said that although earlier models like the Denon 1910 aren't certified for HDMI 1.4 its not necessarily the case that they won't be compatible. If you want 3D at somepoint then I suggest this is an area you investigate further to really confirm what is and isn't 1.4 compatible.

I'm confused about your comment RE: HDMI 1.4 & Ethernet being related. An AV amp either supports ethernet or not. Newer models that support 1.4 tend to also support Ethernet but not sure if thats what you meant (just interested to know). Ethernet would obviously mean you can take a direct network connection to stream audio from your Server but that wouldn't necessarily give you a nice GUI/front end. Something to consider atleast.

I have a Denon 1910 configured in pretty much the same way you describe in your OP. I don't have any need for 3D nor the desire to switch so I am currently happy. I run a 360, PS3, Gaming Rig (mirrored output so I have a desk position or can view in the living room) which will take any AC3 encoded 5.1 or DTS direct from files, Music (use the rig as the front end via **whispers** iTunes). Occasionally I will watch a Bluray via the PS3, the Denon supports HD Audio and it ****ing roars !!!! Its not just balls out loudness, its the clarity of the mix. Watch Master and Commander the other day with the projector screen down. You can literally hear cannon balls flying from one end of the room to the other and splintering wood which lands on the deck around you. Love it !
My question about HDMI 1.4 was what are the advantages/features of 1.4 over 1.3 besides ethernet support? Not that I was looking to use said ethernet support though.

With your Denon 1910, is it possible for you to have the audio source be the PC for example, and the video source be the PS3? Or it an all or nothing from one source deal?

·
Registered
868 Posts
No it is possible. When you preset your outputs you can combine video inputs with different audio inputs. So for example you could have a PS3 preset that took audio from your music player and another preset which took both audio and video from your PS3.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboTurtle
View Post

My question is how would 1.3 vs. 1.4 impact this kind of setup? I was under the impression that the only difference between the two was that 1.4 has ethernet support.

Part of the HDMI 1.4 spec is that an Ethernet line is embedded into the cable. The ethernet line will serve very specific purposes in regards to HDMI devices. Some receivers sport Ethernet connections for completely separate purposes.

Quote:

Also, as the video stream, I'd like to be able to have it so I can set the speakers to play from the ampache sever while someone plays a PS3 game either without sound or (if possible) sound from the built-in TV speakers. I thought that some receivers were audio only and not both audio/video support only.

Sure. Run component/composite jacks to the TV for audio/video (PS3 is directly hooked up to the TV). The PS3 System Menu can change output devices for sound and audio. And switch back to HDMI if/when you need it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboTurtle
View Post

My question about HDMI 1.4 was what are the advantages/features of 1.4 over 1.3 besides ethernet support? Not that I was looking to use said ethernet support though.

Well when in doubt, use wikipedia. You've got 3D support and 4096p resolution and additional color-depth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts