Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
comp is getting sluggish and too many useless files and stuff ive downloaded, i just want to start fresh

alright ive got a 4gb flash drive (usb stick) and a ton of files

so ive got movies, games, software, Etc.
how do i get them on my thumb drive so i can just essentially move them over to the 'new' computer?

do i take them from program files and compress(the file/folder) and bring the .rar into my new program files?
any help is appreciated!

·
Storage Nut
21,146 Posts
how many GBs of files? If you have more than 4gb of data you will either need a bigger drive or just partition your hd and use one partition for the backup data and one for the reinstall. Then when you drag all the back up onto the main partion then you can delete the back up one. Also you can't just move programs...they need to be reinstalled so they can be recognised by the OS via registry.

• Rep+
Reactions: Kye7

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWebster;14158786
how many GBs of files? If you have more than 4gb of data you will either need a bigger drive or just partition your hd and use one partition for the backup data and one for the reinstall. Then when you drag all the back up onto the main partion then you can delete the back up one. Also you can't just move programs...they need to be reinstalled so they can be recognised by the OS via registry.
wow, thanks! this helped alot
can i delete or remove the other partition after?

can i have a step by step guide on how to do this, if possible? (you can probably find one on google?)
xD

·
Storage Nut
21,146 Posts
I think i'll be able to do one for you myself. lol Yes you can delete the partioin after.
Go to disk management
attachment.php?attachmentid=218928&stc=1&d=1310235745

Right click the drive you want to create a new partion on and click shrink and make the size you want for the amount of data to have enough space. I ended up doing 50GB
attachment.php?attachmentid=218929&stc=1&d=1310235737

The right click the unallocated space and create new simple volume.
attachment.php?attachmentid=218930&stc=1&d=1310235737

attachment.php?attachmentid=218931&stc=1&d=1310235737

Just clIck apply or next for the rest and you have a new partition!
attachment.php?attachmentid=218932&stc=1&d=1310235737

Now drag all your files over, when you're done just put in your windows disk, restart and boot off the install disk and when you install do a custom install, format the drive C partition. When it is formatted the install the OS on it and when everything is installed and updated you can drag your files over and go back to disk management and delete the backup partition.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWebster;14158786
double post oops
thanks man, +rep

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.